Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #61

I still do not understand what the thinking is that the tankless Water heater is so much better in an rv. When it is so difficult to keep the hot water adjusted at different campgrounds, water pressure variances and water temperature coming from the water source. To save 40-45 pounds for the six gallons of water in the tank? If you dry camp a lot, you have to keep the shower running the entire time, or you have to "reset" the water temp using more fresh water and filling up your grey tank. Plus, at a Campground with services, you are using your propane rather than the park's electricity which you have paid for.
1jeb289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:26 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeb289 View Post
I still do not understand what the thinking is that the tankless Water heater is so much better in an rv. When it is so difficult to keep the hot water adjusted at different campgrounds, water pressure variances and water temperature coming from the water source. To save 40-45 pounds for the six gallons of water in the tank? If you dry camp a lot, you have to keep the shower running the entire time, or you have to "reset" the water temp using more fresh water and filling up your grey tank. Plus, at a Campground with services, you are using your propane rather than the park's electricity which you have paid for.
Your thoughts and questions are shared by many. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?
We compared many entry level class A MHs. The amenities in the 31 UL fit more of our wants, all of our needs... so................ we thoroughly enjoy 23 hours, 50 minutes a day that we are not in the shower.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:20 AM   #63

[QUOTE=D&MAKAFUN;315283]Your thoughts and questions are shared by many. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

Girard: Manufacturer of these units obviously excellent marketing representation to Jayco.

Jayco: Profit per unit versus what is good for the consumer.

Us: Keep buying 'em anyway.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:06 AM   #64

Girard was putting their tankless Water heaters in the Forest River Wildcat a few years ago. Wildcat had so many complaints about them, they went back to the gas DSI /electric tank units.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #65

Does anyone have any idea how many units Jayco has authorized to be converted back to a tank-style unit under warranty? I have seen a few references that this has happened in these forums, but only a few.

I wonder if there are "magic words" you have to say to the dealer to get them to swap it out. I had (have?) issues with mine in my newer Seneca, been to the dealer and they reportedly "fixed" it, but I haven't had it out yet to test. But even if it works as designed, the way they instruct you to use it wastes a lot of precious water when boondocking.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #66

My wife and I really want to pull the trigger on a new Precept 31UL, but the tankless Water heater is a deal breaker for us. I wonder if the dealer could place an order with the factory to specify the gas/electric tank water heater. Anyone tried to do this?
Old 06-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #67

Not certain, but the concept is sound. Or perhaps if your dealer is trustworthy and "skilled", have them swap it out prior to delivery and give you a written warranty regarding the workmanship of the conversion. One that doesn't void anything in your regular Jayco coach warranty.

I bet if they are truly motivated to sell you a unit that might be possible.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #68

Bought the oxygenics shower head. Gets proper flow and provides great pressure. We turn on hot water only about 3/4 turn. Very comfortable, hot showers.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:04 PM   #69

But what happens if you throttle the water down to shampoo and lather up when you are on your tank/pump? My Girard will first try to scald you before it cycles on its cutoff, then go cold until the cutoff resets, then start all over again.

It just seems by design they (Jayco and Girard) expect you to waste water, which I hate to do even at the stick house with unlimited city water and sewer.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
But what happens if you throttle the water down to shampoo and lather up when you are on your tank/pump? My Girard will first try to scald you before it cycles on its cutoff, then go cold until the cutoff resets, then start all over again.

In my opinion, Jayco should make the tankless water heater an OPTION, not mandatory.

It just seems by design they (Jayco and Girard) expect you to waste water, which I hate to do even at the stick house with unlimited city water and sewer.
In my opinion, Jayco should make the tankless water heater an OPTION, not mandatory.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:51 PM   #71

I agree!! I almost bought a Dynamax Force because it had a 10 gal DSI WH. I don't feel I got the best, I got the least worst.

Try the "contact us" option on the Jayco site. You might get the same kind of answer that I got…we are not a custom mfger.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:11 PM   #72

The standard interior equipment in the Jayco Alante (which is their value Class A) includes a 6 gallon gas/electric water heater. Still trying to figure out how requesting the 6 gallon gas/electric on the Precept would make Jayco a custom manufacturer when they put the tank water heater in the Alante?
Old 06-29-2015, 07:58 AM   #73

Have you checked the value behind the cold and hit water handles, controls, in the shower? Our's was heating and water pressure was OK, but was not getting hot enough. We had to turn the cold water almost completely off to get nice warm/ hot water. While it was at our dealer for other issues we added this to the our list of things for them to check. Turns out there is a value back behind your hot/cold controls. Our's either wasn't working or wasn't full on. Anyway they fixed it and said it was working properly now. We can't give our opinion on it till we get out in it again which because of work and family things going on will not be till August. We did however hook it up at home and ran a test and it does seem to be working correctly now.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:33 PM   #74

What water pressure are you guys regulating to? I've read low pressure can create havoc with these systems - is there a recommended pressure?

I was going to buy one of these so I can set it to where it needs to be:

Pressure Regulator
Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:57 PM   #75

Not sure our seneca is in for service right now. Had a problem with some of the batteries boiling dry so it is in having the inverter checked out and possibly replaced. So I can't check till we get it back.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:14 PM   #76

Have you tried a different freshwater hose? Are the screens in the hose clean? Just a thought.
Bird Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:14 PM   #77

I have a Greyhawk 29MV (2015) and am having no trouble with hot water in the shower--at least since I got the manufacturer's instructions and followed them. At first, doing what I do at home and trying to regulate the temperature with both valves, I got a lot of temperature variation. However, now, I'm using only the hot valve and I have experimented with adjusting the water heat control on the bathroom wall to the point that the shower now runs constantly at the temperature we like, without any cycling. Maybe I'm just lucky.
northrupj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #78
WDW

2x on the above. However, I've commented before that ground water temperature and initial static water in the hose have an influence in this application. We just came back from a 30 day circle Tour of the southern East coast .Once we got below Virginia and way over to the Outer Banks and down in Florida, we found that frequently we had to add cold water back in order to make the water temperature usable. The ground water was so warm when combined with the water heater it was uncomfortable .

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #79

Big thing for me was removing the regulator in the shower head. Just like the manual advised !

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #80

One of our friends just bought a new Jayco and made it a condition of the sale that a "normal" tanked water be put in. He didn't want to pay for campground electric, and then have to use his own propane to heat water for a family of 4.

The dealer switched it out as part of the deal.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote