Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2015, 06:55 AM   #41
WDW

I watched your video. Thank you for sharing. You did a nice job showing the features and advantages of the Greyhawk product.

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:28 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHarvick View Post
Mine is a 2015 Greyhawk FS, and is supposed to have the "latest model" heater. Watch my video above and give the reset button idea a try. If fixed my cold water issue instantly. Hope it works and saves you a trip!
I've had mine half way apart, and there is no reset button. Had a repair man out while in AZ this winter, and he couldn't find one either. Believe me I have even used a mirror to see if it. behind something, nada! What model no. is yours?
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #43

Man, it's in storage, but I should have it out this weekend to do a little work on it. Will take a look and let you know! All I know is they told me all the same things. And, all I had to do was reset it. Who knows!
DocHarvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:55 PM   #44

Took two of the grandkids (ages 9 and 12) for a weeklong trip. After a short description on how to use the tankless WH, both showered without problem.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #45

I have a FW but you shouldn't hear the water pump kick in when you turn on any valve if you have everything set up properly for a "city" water connection. Maybe the MH's have better water pumps that you can's hear so easily. I know that in my FW that the flow is really low when on the water pump.
Tatanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:27 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgermane View Post
Just took delivery of a new 31FS. It has the tankless water heater. It works great when using the sink faucets, but, not so well with the shower. It continually cycles from hot to cold every 20 seconds.

In the manual, it states that this will happen when it is not getting enough flow, and the high heat limit is tripped. I'm not sure how to get more flow. I open the hot water valve completely without any cold and it still cycles.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance,
We had a tankless heater in our Jayco Skylark. Had the same problem as you have. I was also using a Pressure regulator. The pressure regulator was the problem. My Campground owner stated that their water presssure was low to start with and I wouldn't need to use a regulator. Removed it and "Voila !" Works great !!! I would suggest checking with the Campground to see how much pressure they run ? We now have a Greyhawk 31DS. Haven't used the water heater yet ? We'll find our soon ???
2012 Jayco Skylark (SOLD)
adaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #47

Rarely use a pressure regulator any more. I have a pressure gauge that I use to check the campground pressure. Usually, it's somewhere between 30 and 40 psi. If the pressure is high, then I do have a Watts pressure regulator that I hook up. Its very unrestrictive, but still slows the flow slightly. When I was fighting through my problems, Jayco instructed me to stop using the regulator. They stated that their systems are tested to 100psi, and its' really not a factor. I got that in writing to be safe.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:14 PM   #48

Sure have had some problems with the on demand hot water heater. The outside temperature has a direct effect of the water heater. I find that I adjust the temperature at the bathroom water heater thermostat so that I do not have to add any cold water. This has been working well for us. As I said, if it is colder outside, you may have to adjust the temperature to a higher setting. It is a pain but once you get used to it, it works okay.
nascar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #49

There is a reset button on all of the on demand water heaters. however, they are not always in the same spot. Look for a very small button somewhere near the back of the water heater and push it. You should now be able to work the water heater.
nascar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:53 PM   #50

Got the RV back from the dealer today. The WH had a couple of bad contacts. they fixed them and it seems to work AOK, for today anyway. I asked him and the service tech who worked on it to show me this "reset button" They said mine doesn't have one??? So I hope all is well.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDad View Post
I asked him and the service tech who worked on it to show me this "reset button" They said mine doesn't have one??? So I hope all is well.
Does your WH look like the one pictured in post #22? If so, it should have a small, almost invisible button as shown.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
Old 06-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #52

It is similar but different in the fact that it doesn't have that plate with the reset button. Trust me I have looked, 3 service tech's have looked and couldn't find one. One of them called the mfg, and some were made without the reset button.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:01 PM   #53

That is true. Some don't have it. Mine doesn't and I spoke to Girard to confirm.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:48 PM   #54

So does no reset button mean it does not have the low flow/high heat safety cutoff, or does it reset itself somehow?

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
Old 06-05-2015, 07:00 PM   #55

I guess going by the manual you can wait 5 minutes, or shut off the power for 5 seconds and turn it back on.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:53 AM   #56

I had assumed that the knob in the vanity was to control output water temperature. Apparently, it controls the flame - so if the flow is a certain rate, and the flame is too high, the high temp cutout shuts off the water heater, thus the cycling of hot-cold-hot-cold in the shower. I turned down the knob on the wall (pointer at about the 9 o"clock position) - and haven't had an issue since.
jbayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #57

Tankless Water Heater Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
Jayco will replace the tank-less unit with a DSI gas electric tank unit under warranty. I complained to Jayco because my babies got scalded when the tank-less unit high limited. I turned off the valve on the wand in the shower when i turned it back on it was still warm - not hot so i started rinsing off my baby and then it shot up to about 190 F or so and started scalding the baby. Then the water went to ice cold. I complained to Jayco and they replaced the tank-less setup with a regular tank. This is a serious safety issue if you have small children. According to Girard the tank-less heater was in fact working correctly it "limits out" at a specific temperature. There is no thermostatic control on the output of the unit to dynamically regulate the output temperature. Home tank-less units are designed to keep a temperature set point and will adjust the flame to achieve this. The Girard units have a manual flame adjustment and as the flow drops they will either cycle hot cold due to limiting out or shut off altogether. The user must manually adjust the flame to achieve the correct temperature rise based on the input water temperature. If you are careful and open the faucet fully, set the correct flame and do not turn off the water during the shower or anticipate the scalding hot followed by cold if you do then the system can work well.
Good to know Jayco will replace the tankless Water heater with an electric/gas DSI unit. Wife and I seriously considering the Jayco Class A or C, but every model we want has the tankless Water heater, which is a deal breaker for us. Had the tankless model on another rv and had it replaced with the tank model.
1jeb289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:25 AM   #58

We had 7, 14 & 18 year old grandkids (2 girls) with us for 2 days last week. Everyone showered. After they were introduced to how to operate the water faucets we had no problems. Our heater requires us adding a very slight amount of cold water to keep the temp at the faucet at a bearable level. There is some fluctuation in the water temp but no shocking variations.

When the WH quit (in March) we called Girard direct and they were incredible. Great customer service. In our case, they walked me through a testing procedure and then overnighted 2 parts, I installed them and we have had hot water on demand since.
When we bought our Precept, we had in the contract that if we did not do well with the Girard system, the dealer would replace with a 6 gallon DSI gas/elect. We still have the Girard.
If I were to build my Precept from beginning, I would opt for another WH system. There are new systems out there that provide reliable hot water.
Otherwise, we are really happy with Bertha after 5000+ miles & 15 states. We're just getting started.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #59

Search tankless hot water for posts- we have a 2014 Seneca and the tankless has never worked right. It's a bad product for an RV that moves to different campgrounds and different water sources. We have a new water regulator on order that has a gauge on it that can be adjusted. We are hoping this helps.
Vrji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #60

Wife and I really like the Precept 31UL are will likely pull the trigger if we can substitute the tankless Water heater with the 6 gallon gas/electric. We have had the tankless in a fiver that never worked right. I know Girard has made a couple of improvements, but still a no go for us living in the south. The outside water coming in is usually very warm which means as soon as the water goes through the heater, it gets too hot and the system shuts off blasting you with cold water. No thanks.
1jeb289 is offline   Reply With Quote