Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
I think the newer Girard tankless water heater (model GSWH-2) better monitors the temperature of the water stream. If anyone has one of these, I'd be interested in how well it works.

We have the GSWH-1M and have had some of the same issues as others, but with some practice we are making it work.
We pick up our new 2016 31FS tomorrow afternoon. It has the new model in it. We are taking our first trip on Saturday. I will keep you guys posted.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:06 AM   #12

I can only relate to the "Tankless" water heater in my house. About 6 or 7 years ago my brother talked me into getting a tankless water heater as our water heater died. He had one for a few years and loved it. Never had an issue with it. So, I went over to Home Depot and purchased one. Figured the top of the line one would last the longest, so I purchased one. It had all the whistles and horns available on the "Electric" unit. Micro-controller, temperature displays for input and output temp, over heating control, pressure release.....

DW hated it, even with the micro controller the water temperature fluctuated and the heater would turn off. So I went and sat in front of the unit and watched the digital displays.. they seamed correct, but the output temp was fluctuating really bad. Talked to the mfr support and they said return it to Home Depot for a new one. Installed the new one and had the same issues.

I call my brother (who still had no issues) informed me that he had the "GAS" model, and he was just reading that the "Electric" model had a lot of issues. Why didn't I see them?

PROBLEM FIXED, (within a week of installing the tankless water heaters) purchased a NORMAL ELECTRIC hot water heater, no issues, temperature remains the same, 22 seconds until hot water flows out of the shower head, but most importantly DW is happy. I think DW would have nightmares should I bring up the tankless water heater in a conversation.

Since then they may have improved the home version, but we are not willing to take the chance again.

Don

2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:14 AM   #13
Site Team

We have the Rheem tankless in our home. Works great for the last 7 years. Had a alarm on the controller last month. Called Rheem and they sent me a replacement board at No charge.

That said, the ones I have read about in RV's would be a deal breaker for me.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #14

We picked up our 31FS yesterday. It has the new Girard GSWH-2 water heater in it. The new control panel is all digital. We are planning on leaving for Florida on Friday, so I will update you on how it works.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #15

Replaced the tankless with 6 gal and am very happy with the results. Plenty enough hot water and at low flow rates if desired.

2015 Jayco Seneca 36 FK
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited tow
2010 Tiffin RED 36 QSA - gone
2011 Monaco Monarch class A - gone
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #16

Other than the cost of the tankless unit I think another driving factor explaining the surge in tankless heaters by the OEMs is weight. The Girard I replaced in my unit weighed very little and holds only a small amount of water. The Atwood XT I put in does weigh considerably more empty, then add in the 10 gallons of water stored in the tank and you have a combination that weighs about a 100 pounds more compared to the Girard.

Fortunately in my Seneca I have plenty of reserve capacity, but I can see where in many other units this would be an unacceptable increase.
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:49 AM   #17

I just don't see the point of a tankless water heater in an RV. You have to use your propane vs using electricity which is included in your site fee. You have to use your propane when boondocking or run a generator to heat water when propane use does make sense. A previous post stated that 10 gallons of water in a tank was heavy. I agree, but it weighs the same even if in the fresh water tank so it really doesn't matter and it does increase your water capacity by the same amount as what is in the water heater tank.

IMHO

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I just don't see the point of a tankless water heater in an RV. You have to use your propane vs using electricity which is included in your site fee. You have to use your propane when boondocking or run a generator to heat water when propane use does make sense. A previous post stated that 10 gallons of water in a tank was heavy. I agree, but it weighs the same even if in the fresh water tank so it really doesn't matter and it does increase your water capacity by the same amount as what is in the water heater tank.

IMHO
My thoughts exactly! I'm already paying for the energy provided by the park so I'd rather have that energy heat my water.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:44 AM   #19

The one in our 2015 29MV never did work right. Had a 6 Gal Tank heater installed and could not be happier.
lumpymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpymike View Post
The one in our 2015 29MV never did work right. Had a 6 Gal Tank heater installed and could not be happier.
Yeah, that's basically what happened to me Lumpy. Didn't like diddling with it, wasting water, and wasting propane so gave up and put in a 6 gallon DSI. Must be a Washington thing as I see you're right across the water .