Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2015, 10:14 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Yeah, that's basically what happened to me Lumpy. Didn't like diddling with it, wasting water, and wasting propane so gave up and put in a 6 gallon DSI. Must be a Washington thing as I see you're right across the water .
Indeed I am. Near the Airport.

lumpymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #22

We used our tank less water heater all weekend. It worked great. Turned the hot water on and within seconds we had hot water. Added the cold to it and was taking a shower before the water was even on a minute. Maybe the new ones are better then the old version.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:09 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschulz1720 View Post
Maybe the new ones are better then the old version.
I have heard they were better. Would you mind posting the model of your tankless heater?

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #24

What model of Suburban???

Bill,
What model of Suburban water heater did you get? I see there are two or three different 6 gal models. I agree completely with your assessment. I've jerked around with the tankless (I have a tankless at home and I love them - when they work) for two years and i've finally had enough. I think I save $60 worth of propane every year but hot water is an ENDLESS issue. maybe the Jayco & Girard techs should have taken this out of the lab and actually gone RVin with it. Thanks for your commenst which finally pushed me over the edge.
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
I had the same experience with mine. Figured out you can't use a low flow shower head, you must turn the hot water on full to get sufficient flow, you have to fiddle with temp control in the head to get it right. I hated it enough to change it out. A 6 gallon Suburban fits right in the hole.

That being said, other folks have had good luck with them and really like them. Here's a link to somebody else that had the same experience I had.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...7ts-31841.html

So if you don't mind fiddling around with the temp control to get it right and you don't mind wasting the water, you can get there. Just don't use a low flow shower head.

FYI, there's a search button up toward the top of this screen. You can dig up more comments about these water heaters using that button. However, you really won't have to as I'm sure other folks will chime in with their opinions shortly.
andruscp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:26 PM   #25

I had a Suburban SW6DE installed. The installer preferred the Suburban because it fit the space and opening better than the Atwood. It's a DSI and has worked as expected. My previous 2 MHs had the 6 gallon Atwood DSI and they worked fine for me too.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have heard they were better. Would you mind posting the model of your tankless heater?
Girard GSWH-2 water heater.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #27

We have a 2014 Seneca with the tankless hot water heater. So far I have hated it. Very inconsistant water temps, at times too hot, then almost cool enough for drinking. My husband had to call Jayco techs for a different question about our front tv. While he had the guy on the phone he question him about the hot water operation. {Now please don't hold me to this till we try it out.} The tech told my husband that we should be setting the temp at the hot water heater temp control by the sink, we knew that part. To do this he said we should turn on the hot water only on at the sink, set the temp control at our desired temperature then turn water at sink off. {This we did not know.} When in the shower turn ONLY the hot water on, leave the cold water OFF and we should have a comfortable water temp for our shower. I don't think this is or should be normal operation, but if it works I'm ok with it. Rather do this and have constant hot water than go back to a 6 gal. tank. We are going out next week for a long weekend with our Seneca, will let you all know if this fix works.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:24 AM   #28

Sandy, would be interested to know how the WH works at altitudes over 7k feet. Having zero hot water convinced me that 6 gal DSI was a better choice. If I had known that the 10 gal could be made to fit, I would have gotten that instead. We had 10 gal in or DP and were quite satisfied with it. However, we are satisfied with the 6 gal.

2015 Jayco Seneca 36 FK
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited tow
2010 Tiffin RED 36 QSA - gone
2011 Monaco Monarch class A - gone
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:51 PM   #29

Not sure when I might be able to answer that. We will be in the Ozarks next June for a week but elevation there is just a little over 1200 feet from what I found when I googled Harrision, AR.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:25 PM   #30

We set the temp control by the sink and only use the hot water in the shower with out turning on any cold water. It works perfect. If it does get a little to hot near the end of the shower we just slightly turn on a little cold water. It works fine for us. Have never been above 2000 feet of terrain elevation however. Camped in weather we between 25 to 70F and it's worked fine.

Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad Jeep Unlimited
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote