Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2016, 08:48 AM   #51

I wish we could figure it out. We usually end up giving up and using the showers in the campsite. We follow the directions posted by the taps but to no avail :-(

CanucksVenturingSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:52 PM   #52

CanucksVenturingSouth,

Try just using hot water and adjust it to the temperature you want at the bathroom sink. Then use just that hot water in the shower with the faucet set about the middle of the flow. Too warm, barely turn on cold. Too cold, turn hot water fully on.

2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:34 PM   #53

Mine is being worked on right now. They first thought it was a propane problem. They replaced the regulator on the tank, but that did not fix the problem of not having constant hot water. Now the factory thinks it is a valve in the heater itself. It did work pretty good when I was using city water. I would use only the hot water side, and regulate the temp. When we were not using city water, and using tank water, we would have nothing but hot, cold, hot cold.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:12 AM   #54

Mwade, did anyone check the water pressure from the pump? The on demand WH seems to be sensitive to water pressure.

2015 Jayco Seneca 36 FK
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited tow
2010 Tiffin RED 36 QSA - gone
2011 Monaco Monarch class A - gone
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:37 PM   #55

Flow water at sink, adjust burner control, turn hot on all the way at shower, different burner adjustments if incoming water temperature is warm or cold, pray no else in the coach turns on any water elsewhere while someone is showering, don't throttle the water to save tank water and grey capacity, and so on...... Hot water should not be so difficult, and it never was before! I am so glad I went back to a conventional tank.

Does anyone have any experience with the new model Girard (with electronic controls) and can therefore provide feedback? When I talked to Girard several months ago they were willing to give current Girard owners a discount to upgrade the to new unit. You have to contact them directly, but it might be an option for some to obtain better performance.
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:41 PM   #56

We have to reset the water heater on/off button frequently. It just stops working. It is annoying because you have to take the cover off outside and we have already snapped off the plastic thing and now have to screw it on.

However, we have solved the inconsistent heating issue by changing the flow. Depending on the pressure at the campground we do or do not use the hose regulator OR we use the water pump, which has pressure sufficient to maintain a constant temperature.
Mgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #57

I have been reading about the issues with ODWH and after further searching of the internet I have found that ATTWOOD tankless water heaters have had a recall NHTSA 10-29-15. it is supposed to correct the scalding issues. We have a Girad tankless and would not give it up for anything. Yes it took some getting used to on how to control water flow but after that we have never run out of hot water.
Bicycleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:55 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgeist View Post
It is annoying because you have to take the cover off outside and we have already snapped off the plastic thing and now have to screw it on.
Our's also had the plastic latch, but our dealer replaced it with a much more substantial metal one.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:28 PM   #59

When we first got the rig, I broke the little plastic doohickey that keeps the door closed too. I was trying to figure out why the damn thing made so much noise. Turns out, it just does! Only the newer models have a reset switch. I saw a video on YouTube showing how to find and use the reset button. I thought, oh great, now I'll know how to do it if I ever need to. My unit, which is one of the second generation, but not the current generation, does not have a reset. (If it does, it's not mentioned in the manual nor can I find it behind the outside door.)

As I've said before, we have "more or less" mastered the unit and are basically satisfied. Lots of hot water and uses much less propane. The most frustrating aspect is that without a hot water tank, we've given up 6 or 7 gallons of fresh water. At a campground that is not a problem and wasting water with leisurely showers is not a crisis. Dry camping for more than 2 days definitely requires very careful water management. It's hard to believe that 6 or 7 gallons would make that much difference but it does. We live in California so saving water has become second nature for us, and I am ashamed of myself when I take advantage of the campground's water for a classic leisurely shower.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #60

I've only had my new unit out twice and both times had a water hookup. When I go dry camping I intend to bring a couple 5 gallon jugs of water to ensure I don't run out. I too miss having that extra 6 in the water heater tank.

Colorado Springs, CO
JDSport is offline   Reply With Quote