Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #1

Tankless water heater issues

I just recently purchased a 2016 Greyhawk 29MV that is equipped with a tankless water heater. This is my 4th RV, second motorhome. We have had nothing but problems with this water heater. Inconsistent water temp. Having to reset the unit with almost every use. I was wondering if others are experiencing similar issues and has Jayco addressed them?
Ceck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:06 PM   #2

I had the same experience with mine. Figured out you can't use a low flow shower head, you must turn the hot water on full to get sufficient flow, you have to fiddle with temp control in the head to get it right. I hated it enough to change it out. A 6 gallon Suburban fits right in the hole.

That being said, other folks have had good luck with them and really like them. Here's a link to somebody else that had the same experience I had.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...7ts-31841.html

So if you don't mind fiddling around with the temp control to get it right and you don't mind wasting the water, you can get there. Just don't use a low flow shower head.

FYI, there's a search button up toward the top of this screen. You can dig up more comments about these water heaters using that button. However, you really won't have to as I'm sure other folks will chime in with their opinions shortly.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #3

There are lots of opinions that differ about tankless water heaters in RV's; I've decided that the current tankless heaters that are available do not meet my needs. You could search for the word "Girard" and turn up many threads. Here are three threads to get you started:

thread 1 clicky

thread 2 clicky

thread 3 clicky (86 posts!)
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:37 PM   #4

I have a Seneca and I had the same water delivery problems, coupled with the fact we camp without water and sewer hookups frequently. And to "just let the hot water run" wasn't a viable long-term option in less than full hookup campsites. The other posters are correct, a 6-gallon traditional tank unit will fit in the cutout, it is just deeper than the Girard. But I took a different path, I wanted more hot water capacity so I installed a 10-gallon Atwood XT. I had to enlarge the cutout, but it went very well.

Another advantage to a tank-style unit is that if you install one with both propane and electric heating so you can heat your water from the campground electric if desired. Once I am plugged in for several hours I have a hot tankful and I, the wife, and two grandkids can all shower and never have burned an ounce of propane yet have hot water to spare.

Jayco has replaced a number of Girard units under warranty (and in some cases) with a traditional tank-style unit. I was told this directly from Jayco Service when I recently dropped off my rig there to have a serious slide issue and several smaller "bugs" repaired. They are going to paint the new Atwood water heater outside cover to match my coach free of charge since I already took care of the water heater replacement myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Atwood installed door closed resized.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #5

Differing opinions on this topic, across many threads. I have had NO problems with the tankless water heater. We love it. All the hot water we want, all the time.
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:56 PM   #6

My Girard worked albeit not well at lower elevations. At 7,000 ft and higher we had NO hot water. Jayco replaced it with a 6 gal Atwood.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:47 PM   #7

I've had my Greyhawk 31FS for nearly two years now (almost out of warranty, will probably hit the mileage before the years). We have mixed feelings about the tankless unit. We are using far less propane that we did with other rigs (we've been RV'ers for 35 years) with conventional water heaters. Is this because it uses less gas or are we just more frugal, I don't know. When we decide to be waste the campground's water and take a long leisurely shower, it works great cause we never run out of hot water. I live and travel extensively in drought stricken California, wasting water is a no no so I do feel a bit guilty when I take advantage on just running the water for a long shower. Dry camping is a real challenge because it wastes water and you've lost the extra six or more gallons in the water heater. It is a challenge to master the temp. Getting the temp right took about a year to figure out, but we finally did. The problem is that you are not setting the temp of the water coming out of the faucet or shower, you are telling the water heater how warm or cold the water coming INTO the water heater is. I don't know about the rest of the folks on this forum, but I don't have a water thermometer in my rig nor do I particularly want to turn the shore water off and disconnect the water lines so I can test the temp coming into the rig. In cooler weather, you might have very cold water coming into the system in the morning and warmer water during the day. I don't understand why Girard didn't put a sensor in the unit to manage this function. I cannot imagine that folks living in a home with an on-demand water heater are forced to fiddle with this setting instead of the unit have it's own sensor. In conclusion, we've learned to like the thing though I'm not sure what I would do if something happened to the unit and it needed to be replaced. Murphy's law says, I'll never get that chance.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:30 AM   #8

I don't understand how these tankless water heaters ever made it into the RV market.

The operating characteristics of these things is contrary to the typical RV water usage concepts. ie: Minimal water use.

Now if you always camp with with full hookups it's a mute point. My personal experience is only about 20% of my outings have full hookups.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #9

Girard GSWH-2 Water Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forelyndogs View Post
I don't know about the rest of the folks on this forum, but I don't have a water thermometer in my rig nor do I particularly want to turn the shore water off and disconnect the water lines so I can test the temp coming into the rig. In cooler weather, you might have very cold water coming into the system in the morning and warmer water during the day. I don't understand why Girard didn't put a sensor in the unit to manage this function.
I think the newer Girard tankless water heater (model GSWH-2) better monitors the temperature of the water stream. If anyone has one of these, I'd be interested in how well it works.

We have the GSWH-1M and have had some of the same issues as others, but with some practice we are making it work.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:12 PM   #10

In my opinion, there are several reasons the RV industry has jumped on the on-demand water heater bandwagon. Number one and perhaps most important, they are much less expensive. Look at the prices for standard water heaters and those for on-demand types in Campingworld catalogs and their website. It would be nice if we, the buyers, benefited from that savings, but that would cut into the makers profit. They also take less space which eventually the builders will utilize, eliminating the ability of us owners to switch them out for standard units. Then there are the so called benefits to us the buyers; reduced ( for me dramatically reduced) propane usage, endless flow of hot water when hooked to campground water supply, and you really don't need to turn the thing on and off when traveling. Finally, as we all know various government mandates dictate what auto makers can and cannot do. It wouldn't surprise me if meeting energy efficiency requirements are forcing RV makers to hunt for any imaginable saving, even if small.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
I think the newer Girard tankless water heater (model GSWH-2) better monitors the temperature of the water stream. If anyone has one of these, I'd be interested in how well it works.

We have the GSWH-1M and have had some of the same issues as others, but with some practice we are making it work.
We pick up our new 2016 31FS tomorrow afternoon. It has the new model in it. We are taking our first trip on Saturday. I will keep you guys posted.
jschulz1720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:06 AM   #12
Site Team

I can only relate to the "Tankless" water heater in my house. About 6 or 7 years ago my brother talked me into getting a tankless water heater as our water heater died. He had one for a few years and loved it. Never had an issue with it. So, I went over to Home Depot and purchased one. Figured the top of the line one would last the longest, so I purchased one. It had all the whistles and horns available on the "Electric" unit. Micro-controller, temperature displays for input and output temp, over heating control, pressure release.....

DW hated it, even with the micro controller the water temperature fluctuated and the heater would turn off. So I went and sat in front of the unit and watched the digital displays.. they seamed correct, but the output temp was fluctuating really bad. Talked to the mfr support and they said return it to Home Depot for a new one. Installed the new one and had the same issues.

I call my brother (who still had no issues) informed me that he had the "GAS" model, and he was just reading that the "Electric" model had a lot of issues. Why didn't I see them?

PROBLEM FIXED, (within a week of installing the tankless water heaters) purchased a NORMAL ELECTRIC hot water heater, no issues, temperature remains the same, 22 seconds until hot water flows out of the shower head, but most importantly DW is happy. I think DW would have nightmares should I bring up the tankless water heater in a conversation.

Since then they may have improved the home version, but we are not willing to take the chance again.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:14 AM   #13
Site Team

We have the Rheem tankless in our home. Works great for the last 7 years. Had a alarm on the controller last month. Called Rheem and they sent me a replacement board at No charge.

That said, the ones I have read about in RV's would be a deal breaker for me.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #14

We picked up our 31FS yesterday. It has the new Girard GSWH-2 water heater in it. The new control panel is all digital. We are planning on leaving for Florida on Friday, so I will update you on how it works.
jschulz1720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #15

Replaced the tankless with 6 gal and am very happy with the results. Plenty enough hot water and at low flow rates if desired.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #16

Other than the cost of the tankless unit I think another driving factor explaining the surge in tankless heaters by the OEMs is weight. The Girard I replaced in my unit weighed very little and holds only a small amount of water. The Atwood XT I put in does weigh considerably more empty, then add in the 10 gallons of water stored in the tank and you have a combination that weighs about a 100 pounds more compared to the Girard.

Fortunately in my Seneca I have plenty of reserve capacity, but I can see where in many other units this would be an unacceptable increase.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:49 AM   #17

I just don't see the point of a tankless water heater in an RV. You have to use your propane vs using electricity which is included in your site fee. You have to use your propane when boondocking or run a generator to heat water when propane use does make sense. A previous post stated that 10 gallons of water in a tank was heavy. I agree, but it weighs the same even if in the fresh water tank so it really doesn't matter and it does increase your water capacity by the same amount as what is in the water heater tank.

IMHO

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I just don't see the point of a tankless water heater in an RV. You have to use your propane vs using electricity which is included in your site fee. You have to use your propane when boondocking or run a generator to heat water when propane use does make sense. A previous post stated that 10 gallons of water in a tank was heavy. I agree, but it weighs the same even if in the fresh water tank so it really doesn't matter and it does increase your water capacity by the same amount as what is in the water heater tank.

IMHO
My thoughts exactly! I'm already paying for the energy provided by the park so I'd rather have that energy heat my water.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:44 AM   #19

The one in our 2015 29MV never did work right. Had a 6 Gal Tank heater installed and could not be happier.
lumpymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpymike View Post
The one in our 2015 29MV never did work right. Had a 6 Gal Tank heater installed and could not be happier.
Yeah, that's basically what happened to me Lumpy. Didn't like diddling with it, wasting water, and wasting propane so gave up and put in a 6 gallon DSI. Must be a Washington thing as I see you're right across the water .