Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #1

Tankless WH Delete

After enough complaining from my wife and kids regarding the tankless WH on our Greyhawk, I had my dealer install a standard WH. Ours was the Gen 1, and though I've heard "better" things on the 2nd and 3rd generation, it just wasn't a good fit for our style of camping.

We opted for a Suburban 10 gallon gas/electric, and couldn't be more excited to try it out. The hole on the outside of the coach had to be enlarged for installation, but there was plenty of space inside. We did lose the wood divider under the sink, but not an issue for us. Our dealer did great work, and we're able to get going immediately as we are still in winter mode here in Montana!
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:37 PM   #2

I changed out my Seneca's myself, installing a 10-gallon Atwood XT. We could not be more pleased. When using hot water - no muss, no fuss. High flows, low flows, all good. Throttle down the shower to save water - works great! Plus probably 90% of the time I heat the water with campground electricity when plugged in. No burner roar unless I need it.

I know many are happy with their tankless water heaters, and satisfaction seems to hinge on one's camping style. Plus the new Truma unit seems to address many of the shortcomings some of us experienced. Perhaps if it had been available earlier I might have considered it.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:49 PM   #3

You're gonna love the 10 gal water heater. Although we don't have a motor home, our Eagle came with an Atwood 10. I tried once to run it out of hot water and after 15 minutes in the shower, I gave up. Can't ever go back to the 6 gallon and navy showers.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:04 PM   #4

I'm going on year 3 w/ my 2nd generation Girard. I always camp w/ full hookups - and I've never had a problem w/ my water heater. I followed the instructions on the website, I have a water pressure regulator (that doesn't restrict the flow), and I use the standard shower head that Jayco provided (no oxygenics for me). Couldn't be happier w/ mine.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:36 PM   #5
Wyn

I want to install an Atwood 6 gal DSI/Elec water heater in my Greyhawk, where did you tie into the 120V power for the electric side of the heater?
Old 03-03-2017, 08:21 PM   #6

There's a bundle of Romex wiring behind the fridge vent. Using a voltage tester I determined which wire was going to what. I ended up tapping into the output of the inverter. Not the best choice as I have to ensure I secure the water heater prior to disconnecting from shore power. If I don't, I'll get an inverter overload alarm. However, short of running a new wire, the other choices aren't a lot better. You don't want to use the microwave line or you'll trip the breaker when the water heater and microwave are on together. The A/C line has the same problem. You might be able to get away with using the fridge line but I don't remember what else is on it.

Anyway, the line you chose can be run down from there into the water heater space. I added two switches on the wall between the fridge and the stove. There's enough room to snake a wire in and put a J box and a switch there. I used a pilot switch so I can tell when the electric side of the water heater is on. There's also a pilot light on the gas control switch but it's only on when the burner is on.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #7

The (RV) Thankless Water Heater is about one of the most worthless things on the planet... works great at the house, but is complete crap on a motorhome.

Our plumber explained that it has to monitor the water rate of flow and volume, and the temperature of the water coming into the unit... at the same time it has to maintain a constant pressure, flow and temperature of the outflow. Failure to do that can result, at best, an uncomfortable blast of cold water. At worst, you can be scalded.

We used it at the kitchen sink, but I never trusted it in the shower.

Because of the large number of complaints, Jayco was switching them out for a normal hot water heater, at no cost.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #8

I can live with my second generation Gerard except when I'm dry camping. It just uses to much water. Will install a Truma this summer. Everything I've read about it is impressive.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I'm going on year 3 w/ my 2nd generation Girard. I always camp w/ full hookups - and I've never had a problem w/ my water heater. I followed the instructions on the website, I have a water pressure regulator (that doesn't restrict the flow), and I use the standard shower head that Jayco provided (no oxygenics for me). Couldn't be happier w/ mine.
I hear you....I never really disliked the Girard, but my wife and kids used the coach shower much more than I. More of our problem was the waste in water as we boondock a lot.....and we all know about the lack of freshwater capacity our GH's have.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn View Post
I want to install an Atwood 6 gal DSI/Elec water heater in my Greyhawk, where did you tie into the 120V power for the electric side of the heater?
My dealer did the install. They installed a new breaker in the panel, and ran a dedicated circuit to power the 120v side of the WH. On my 31 FS, there was plenty of room for the 10 gal.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
The (RV) Thankless Water Heater is about one of the most worthless things on the planet... works great at the house, but is complete crap on a motorhome.

Our plumber explained that it has to monitor the water rate of flow and volume, and the temperature of the water coming into the unit... at the same time it has to maintain a constant pressure, flow and temperature of the outflow. Failure to do that can result, at best, an uncomfortable blast of cold water. At worst, you can be scalded.

We used it at the kitchen sink, but I never trusted it in the shower.

Because of the large number of complaints, Jayco was switching them out for a normal hot water heater, at no cost.
I will totally agree. Too many variables for proper operation. Inlet water temp., water pressure, city water, pump, etc. They seem to work pretty well when everything is consistent.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I changed out my Seneca's myself, installing a 10-gallon Atwood XT. We could not be more pleased. When using hot water - no muss, no fuss. High flows, low flows, all good. Throttle down the shower to save water - works great! Plus probably 90% of the time I heat the water with campground electricity when plugged in. No burner roar unless I need it.

I know many are happy with their tankless water heaters, and satisfaction seems to hinge on one's camping style. Plus the new Truma unit seems to address many of the shortcomings some of us experienced. Perhaps if it had been available earlier I might have considered it.
Looking forward to this kind of performance!