Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2019, 03:38 PM   #1

Temporary leveling pump support

I have Jayco's new bracket on order, but can't get it for several weeks. I'm leaving on a big trip this weekend so I rigged up a temporary support that I think will keep it from hitting the highway if it breaks. Parts include one 5 foot
3/4 galvanized pipe with two floor flanges, one at each end. A roll of .040 stainless safety wire to connect to the pipe and that's about it. The wire is tight enough around the fittings so it won't slip off, and there is a piece of wire through the floor flange, and around the cross member so it doesn't walk. I figure it's better than nothing but I think it will work. I'm trying to post a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0243[1].jpg  
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
I have Jayco's new bracket on order, but can't get it for several weeks. I'm leaving on a big trip this weekend so I rigged up a temporary support that I think will keep it from hitting the highway if it breaks. Parts include one 5 foot
3/4 galvanized pipe with two floor flanges, one at each end. A roll of .040 stainless safety wire to connect to the pipe and that's about it. The wire is tight enough around the fittings so it won't slip off, and there is a piece of wire through the floor flange, and around the cross member so it doesn't walk. I figure it's better than nothing but I think it will work. I'm trying to post a picture.
sure looks like something I would do in a pinch... I don't know the breaking strength of safety wire you used... but can tell you that "bailing wire" has never failed me with a situation like this...

I can't tell in the picture... did you wire the pipe that supports this to the frame cross members too? While the pipe is being pulled down with the wires in relation to the pump... if the pump comes loose, the entire thing will be a bouncing assembly when it does.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
sure looks like something I would do in a pinch... I don't know the breaking strength of safety wire you used... but can tell you that "bailing wire" has never failed me with a situation like this...

I can't tell in the picture... did you wire the pipe that supports this to the frame cross members too? While the pipe is being pulled down with the wires in relation to the pump... if the pump comes loose, the entire thing will be a bouncing assembly when it does.
I have it secured at the back, but still need to do the front. My body was aching trying to work under there so I'll finish tomorrow. The driveshaft is in the way, and it was tough to work and get a decent picture. The tensile strength of .041 stainless is 231 pounds. It should hold. Yea it's kind of Rube Goldberg. One nice thing is there's a natural notch in the crossmember right where you need it and it cradles the pipe nicely. I was thinking I should leave it when I go to the dealer. The mechanic might get a laugh out of it. But I don't want him to stick his hands on the sharp ends of that stainless wire, so I'll remove it in the dealers lot.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote