Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2022, 07:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRider View Post
I am not sure saving $10K would be worth having to rely on a dealer 400 miles away, especially when I hear that dealers are having to correct so many manufacturing defects.

How did you justify that?

Dont have to rely on "dealer 400 miles away". Any Jayco authorized dealer will suffice. Jayco does like for you to use the purchase dealer, but its not required.

"I hear that dealers are having to correct so many manufacturing defects"- what you "hear" is what I have witnessed as well.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:28 PM   #22

Most (not all) RV dealers are not franchised like your local Ford dealer is. What that means is only your selling dealer is obligated to service your camper. If a non- selling dealer services your rig, it’s because they chose to do so. Not because they were obligated to.

Some brands are an exception, but Jayco is not one of them.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:45 PM   #23

And - they don't have to refuse to service it to make their point. You can simply find yourself at the End of the Line waiting for a service appointment.
Old 03-03-2022, 09:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjayco View Post
If you buy a Jayco unit from dealer A and dealer B won't service it because you didn't buy from them, please call Jayco and report it.
Under the agreement with Jayco, a dealer is supposed to perform repairs on any Jayco product.
I am sure they will not be so dumb as to break their dealership agreement.

I could see a certain priority being given purchasing customers, ever how subtle that might be.
HDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 10:17 AM   #25

Quite a bit of confusion within this thread on warranty repair obligations. In the 70's I was a district manager in the Midwest of independent motorcycle dealerships for a certain brand. Here's what I know from that experience:

Any dealer with a Jayco dealer agreement is required by law to address legitimate warranty claims. There are three levels of laws that enforce this. State lemon laws, federal lemon laws and lastly the Magnuson Moss Act of 1975. Lemon laws tend to focus on motor vehicles, but your state may have a broader coverage. The Magnuson Moss act applies to anything with a warranty...anything.

Penalties for non-compliance are substantial and not only effect the manufacturer's wallet but also the dealership's bank account. There are monetary reward clauses that benefit the consumer.

There are basically only three stipulations:
Have proof of a warranty. Make sure you don't drive away without a hardcopy of the warranty!

You presented repairs within the warranty period. Get a dated service write up!

And lastly, the manufacturer/authorized service facility failed to conform the product to the provisions of the warranty within a reasonable amount of time or number of repair attempts.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 01:22 PM   #26

In Canada

they didn't have any 2022 in stock so when we asked about cost here the price we were given was number of msrp as shown on Jayco site so US $ but they didn't hit us for exchange so probably about 26% off by today's rate anyway.

We bought new because we wanted the new F53/V8.

Regards,

John
2019 Chevrolet Silverado
2017 Grand Design 2150RB (Traded in)
2016 GMC Canyon (Traded in)
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 07:26 PM   #27

Everything is out the window.
garyg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:14 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201822j View Post
Buy used. I bought new 4 + years ago. The MSRP thing and actual selling $$ just did not make any sense. Know your product and what to look for and buy a lightly used unit. Lightly used units, cared for, maintained, 2-3 years old will most likely have all the bugs worked out, be equipped so you just need to fill the tanks, refrigerator and go
Totally agree with this. In addition, I would be extremely reluctant to buy anything that rolls, floats or flies that has been built over the last couple years. Between work stoppages, labor and parts supply issues and increased pressure for production, I anticipate even more issues with units built during this period than usual.
DazednConfuzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:08 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazednConfuzed View Post
Totally agree with this. In addition, I would be extremely reluctant to buy anything that rolls, floats or flies that has been built over the last couple years. Between work stoppages, labor and parts supply issues and increased pressure for production, I anticipate even more issues with units built during this period than usual.
That is going to put a lot of 2020, 21 and 22 used units in the "don't buy" category. Do we even see an end to the supply chain issues?

From October 2020
The RV Industry Association's October 2020 survey of manufacturers found that total RV shipments finished the month with 47,326 units, an increase of 21.4% from the 38,972 units shipped in October 2019. This represents the second highest October on record.

“In May, following a nearly two-month shutdown, year to date RV shipments were down 25 percent,” said RV Industry Association President Craig Kirby. “In response to the pandemic and people’s desire to have the freedom to travel while also controlling their environment, the RV industry came roaring back, making up nearly that entire deficit in less than six months.”

For the year, shipments stand at 347,517 units, down just 0.4% as the RV industry continues to overcome the nearly two-month shutdown this Spring due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
https://www.rvia.org/news-insights/r...october-record
HDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:23 AM   #30

On our local news Thor is hiring 18 dollars plus an hour and up. 1,500 dollar sign on bonus, not sure if Jayco is doing the same thing
Old 03-04-2022, 08:35 AM   #31

Then where are we going to go

Interesting the high sales numbers quoted in this thread. No surprise and when you try and book a spot with electric, good luck. That availability situation confirms the sales. So to the OP, be aware that this so-called free-spirted ability to travel takes some serious planning or else you will be camping a lot in Walmart parking lots.
I think it will become increasingly part of the rig requirements is a greater ability to Tent camp using your RV. Tent sites seem much more available and so being able to run off the batteries those essential eclectic items may open that freedom.
Oh and dealer warranty work. Yes my dealer fixed the couple issues I had. Unfortunately it cost me 2 month of the season because that was their first appt.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:55 AM   #32

Quote:
That is going to put a lot of 2020, 21 and 22 used units in the "don't buy" category. Do we even see an end to the supply chain issues?
[/INDENT]
I think the supply chain will equilibrate in time. Demand will fall off, if it hasn't already. Supply will improve, probably slower. Having worked 40+ years in manufacturing, I know shutting down is easy, starting back up is a real PITA. On the 2020-2022 units, eventually most of the quality issues will be rectified by the 1st time owners, hopefully under warranty. I also think many people that got into RVing during the pandemic will get out of it in a few years.

Anecdotally, I work part time in retirement as a courier, so I'm on the road 2 or 3 days every week. I pass a Camping World on my route. Last year, the lot was never more than half full. Since Thanksgiving the lot is crammed with units and has been through the present time. Small sample size, yes, but maybe demand is waning already.
DazednConfuzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:00 AM   #33

Extended fuel price hikes will do more to open campground sites and stifle sales than anything else. All the newbie purchases during the pandemic could backfire by eating up the family budget. My local Jayco guy and I are not beer buddies, but we talk and he's feeling a bit of apprehension over all the new units he took in this winter. For the first time in years, he's sending out emails to everyone in his database pitching new units. Floor-plan interest costs can put you out of business.

Old 03-04-2022, 09:06 AM   #34

I guess it depends on where you are and what you are looking for.

When I look at some local dealers on line who's sites can filter properly, once you rule out "incoming" units they still don't show a lot available. Here is a clip from one of them.
"If the unit you are viewing has a Stock Number that begins with "INC" that stands for incoming, which means that unit is on order or needs to be ordered.

If the unit has "NT" or "UT" at the beginning, that means that it is more than likely in stock, please call in to confirm the status."

Regards,

John
2019 Chevrolet Silverado
2017 Grand Design 2150RB (Traded in)
2016 GMC Canyon (Traded in)
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 05:47 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazednConfuzed View Post
...Anecdotally, I work part time in retirement as a courier, so I'm on the road 2 or 3 days every week. I pass a Camping World on my route. Last year, the lot was never more than half full. Since Thanksgiving the lot is crammed with units and has been through the present time. Small sample size, yes, but maybe demand is waning already.
2X. I regularly pass two large RV dealers here in NE Ohio and I also noticed that the lots were only half full last year while this year they are packed full. One dealership is buying adjacent acreage and expanding his storage lot to accommodate the huge numbers in stock. He seems to have more used than new units though.
Old 03-05-2022, 06:17 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjayco View Post
There are dealers out there that try to pull the " there's a shortage and a huge demand " pitch on you. Some are even adding a "market adjustment" addition over retail. Don't fall for it. Inventories are high in most places. If your dealer pulls that crap, go somewhere else.
I just bought a class A and made the deal at 36% off of the real msrp.
This is exactly right. You know their going to milk the "shortage" angle as long as they can long after it's not true anymore. Just minutes ago I got back from a trip from Portland and went by several huge dealers and one had at least a thousand or more in stock, and another just a bit less. The last time I bought I got 37% off. A very high up source in the industry said that RV's are marked up 20-60 percent. Cheap towables at the lower end and the big class A's at the upper end. You can get your deal if you stick to your guns.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 08:18 PM   #37

If you think Jayco can make a Dealer fix your RV if you did not buy it from them . You are baldly mistaken, I know from my experience Jayco can not, all they will do is tell you were other Jayco dealers are located..I wish you Luck.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 12:53 PM   #38

Quote:
I have been researching motorhomes for about a year. I was very overwhelmed by the choices and how convoluted things are. I know much more than I did, but still have a lot to learn.

One of the little nuggets I came across is that one should expect about a 25% to 35% discount off of the manufacture's MSRP.

What was your dealer experience?

I know the market is hot, hot, hot right now. I suspect the old rule of thumb on MSRP discount might be out the window.

In the past a 35% discount to MSRP was fairly customary, but as someone pointed out the base prices are higher as well so it's kind of a wash. HOWEVER, sit tight for a while the new yearly models will come out from the manufactures in May. That, coupled with the fact that gas is over $4 a gallon will drive the prices of new and used units down. The last time this happened the prices fell precipitously. You could see a 30% drop off of base prices without the MSRP discount. You'll also see a few more manufacturers go belly up, that is whoever is left of after Thor gobbled up a bunch of the brands. I would also look for Thor to consolidate production and shed some brands in order to remain profitable. All that said i would wait until after Labor day to begin serious negotiations on a new rig. Good luck
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:46 AM   #39

Not a chance on this earth I would purchase one right now. Give it a year or so when people lose their infatuation with all these new RVs that were sold over the last couple of years. Prices are going to drop.

The quality has been shown to be terrible right now (worse than normal). If you do, you better buy local as (at least in Michigan) I have been turned away from repair facilities (jayco dealers) because I did not buy there.

Used prices are ridiculous. Do not buy.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 11:10 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
If you think Jayco can make a Dealer fix your RV if you did not buy it from them . You are baldly mistaken, I know from my experience Jayco can not, all they will do is tell you were other Jayco dealers are located..I wish you Luck.
If you are talking about non-warranty work, perhaps you are right. I can't understand why a business would refuse your money, but oh well. Warranty work started the repair discussion in this thread and that's a whole different animal.......

FTC enforces the Warranty Act. If you don't complain,no one will do anything for you.

https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidanc...l-warranty-law