Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2018, 08:41 AM   #1

The miracles of automotive clay

I know I've went on and on about this in some other threads, but if you aren't using a clay bar on your painted surfaces, you're really missing out! -I finally got a good photo that illustrates the difference between washing and using clay.
On the driver's side, you can see where I had clayed the paint, preparing it for wax, the passenger side has only been hand-washed.
I can't believe how much better the paint looks after <20 min of work! Bugs that would, otherwise, require harsh detergent/solvent-based cleaners, fall off with minimal effort.
Attached Thumbnails
0304181353.jpg  
Old 03-05-2018, 08:56 AM   #2

Looks great. I have to try this my self. I washed the rig yesterday only to drive through a snow storm today. Back to cleaning it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Looks great. I have to try this my self. I washed the rig yesterday only to drive through a snow storm today. Back to cleaning it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think mine has ever made it to a cg clean... I'll spend hours cleaning and spit-shining it only to hit weather en-route! It sure looks pretty sitting in its storage bay, though!!! LOL
Old 03-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #4

Nice....

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #5

A wet dryer sheet will easily remove bugs also.
elcheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #6

Hadn't rained much in So. Cal for the past year. Took our Seneca out of storage a couple of months ago and washed it. Guess what- "bang"...there comes the rain. Who needs to perform a rain dance when all you have to do is wash your RV! Oh well. I can live with this problem! Happy Trails...
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:15 PM   #7

Wow

I have been using Griots Garage clay for years, but wow, you really notice a difference in that pic! Very Nice.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:54 AM   #8

Can you explain a little bit more about using a "Clay Bar"? I'm not familiar with this term.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #9

Most of the detailing brands sell a product. Mothers has their california gold, that I have used and liked, Griots Garage (as McGintys924 mentioned) is a great brand, my current personal fav is Chemical Guys brand.

Essentially, you're taking a very viscous clay (very similar to modeling clay), spraying a lubricant onto the paint (a lot of the time, I do this while I'm hand-washing and just use clean, soapy water; other times I use spray detailer or dedicated clay bar lube) and running it across the paint. By doing this, the clay is picking up contaminants that have adhered/bonded to your paint's surface. You can hear the change in the paint and feel the difference after the clay has been used. -Very similar results to waxing, except instead of a layer of wax, smoothing out the surface making it very slick, you've removed the 'junk' that's embedded into your paint's surface, which causes it to feel rough or gritty.

I know when mine needs it by lightly passing a clean microfiber towel over the paint. If you can hear a "gritty" sound or there it is catching/snagging on the paint, even after a wash, it would benefit you to clay bar.

Here's a video by the chemical guys that does a much better job of explaining it, if you're interested: