Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 03:25 PM   #1

Thinking of purchasing a Greyhawk 31DS

Hi Everyone,

I just joined this forum as I'm seriously thinking of getting a Greyhawk 31DS. I've looked at them for a while and compared them to other rigs at the Seattle RV show that's going on right now.

I'm interested in hearing from other owners what they think about this rig. I know there are pros and cons of every company, floorplan, etc.

One of the things I really like about this one is the door that closes off the bedroom, at the end of the hallway. I'm really hoping it will block the sound of my husband's snoring, which is rather loud (I'm not that quiet either!). Any thoughts on this?

I don't like how short the couch is, though. I'm tall and I could barely sit on it sideways with my legs stretched out (and that was with one arm [of the couch! HA!] removed).

I'm also seriously looking at the Forest River Sunseeker 2860DA. Any thoughts on that rig?

Thanks much!
Old 02-07-2015, 03:49 PM   #2

We love our 31 DS and it has treated us very well so far. This floor plan was the best for us and my wife absolutely loves the ridiculous amount of cupboard space throughout the unit. As far as the couch goes we bring along a small ottoman from our house that makes using the couch a lot more comfortable.

We were close to pulling the trigger on a new one (2014) but saved a tonne when we found a very gently used one with only 9,000 miles on it.

I noticed a used 2012 for sale at a dealership in Mount Vernon on RV Trader recently. We liked that dealership (well the sales guy anyway) a lot when we were first looking. My guess would be that they have a fair bit of wiggle room in their price and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them if the unit looked like it would work for you.

Visited in our 2011 Greyhawk 31DS
Old 02-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #3

Thanks Busguy for your comments. I could tell you were Canadian even before I read the info on where you're from!

I'm not making any decisions right now. I'm renting a 2015 Redhawk 29XK in a few months. Will travel to Sacramento along I5 and then back along the coast on Hwys 1 and 101. I'll know more after that trip what I think about purchasing an RV.

But, in the meanwhile, any comments are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:08 PM   #4

Another question for Busguy or anyone else.

Do you have any problems getting out of the driver's seat when the kitchen slide is in?

Thanks
Old 02-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #5

That will certainly be a great trip for you to figure out what you are looking for in an RV. We did a similar trip (2 1/2 weeks to Disneyland and back) a few years ago in my father-in-laws RV. We did the opposite though and went down via the Coast (took our time) and came back on the 5. After that trip we certainly had a better idea about what we did and didn't want in any RV that we would look to purchase.

As far as the accessibility from the cab, I'm pretty sure that all the Greyhawk floor plans are very usable with the slides in. We've spent a few nights with the slides in and the unit is completely livable. I've never had any problem moving from the driver seat through to the rest of the coach although it might be a little awkward if you were really tall (I'm only 5'9").

Visited in our 2011 Greyhawk 31DS
Old 02-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #6

Thanks, that certainly helps. I'm 5'10"
Old 02-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #7

we love our 29xk, best outside storage of all units except greyhawk 29mv which it is similar to but much less money, check out some of the dealers in california they are very competitive, have fun with the 29xk we love ours, our dealer in las vegas is amazing, best service and prices -
Old 02-09-2015, 01:38 AM   #8

We got the 2015 Grayhawk 29MV due to the fact that my wife loves to cook and fall in love with the long counter. Not to mention having all that counter space when the tribe (kids/grandkids) tag along. Love the overhead "Queen size" sleeping area. Love the JRide. That's the first thing everyone who rides for the first time notice...the smooth ride.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:15 AM   #9

We love our 2008 31 SS. DW fell for the floor plan - very open and completely usable even with the slide in. I fell for the way it drives. Before you buy a brand X drive one on a winding/rough road then drive a Jayco. We found ours used (only three camping trips) and saved a ton on the price AND the taxes.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:55 PM   #10

We just love our 31DS. Very easy to get around in with slides in. It's just the two of us (and Kasey the Lab), and it tows our Explorer Sport without a whimper. Due to where we live, we travel mountain passes often and I am really happy with the performance.
FYI, we bought it at the '11 Seattle RV Show.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #11

Thanks for the replies everyone. And especially from Fidalgo66 as you have the same rig I'm thinking of getting. Great to know you can still get around with the slides closed. I didn't get them to close the slides at the show, but I know I'll check all that out before I purchase. I'm also not set on getting it from the local (Kent) dealer as I'll go where I can get a great price. I do really like how much outside storage there is as I'm interested in getting an RV so I can vend at more craft shows/bazaars and it'll be great to stash everything (wire grid panels, tables, inventory, etc) outside. The Jayco seems to have the best storage for that.
Closed Thread