Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2018, 03:28 PM   #1

Smile Thoughts on Class C Covers

We own a 2019 Redhawk 22j and are thinking about using a cover for our MH while in Fla. for the winter. We are allowed to store ours on a lot during our stay down there. Looking for info from anyone who can help us decide on what works. Thanks
TJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:37 AM   #2

TJay, I’m no expert on Motorhome covers but have lived in Florida for 32 years. I’ve covered 2 sports cars when I was younger and a small boat. After a while you learn that it’s more trouble than it’s worth.
I would suggest you buy some 303 Protectant and spray the clean roof. It protects against UV rays. Also coat your tires with it. It also works great on Diamond Shield if you have it on the front of your cab. I’ve used it on 2 large Motorhomes here in Florida and never had an issue. Also give your coach a good coat of a quality wax and you will be fine for just the winter.
Read up on 303 Protectant, it has many uses. I buy online by the gallon.
Hope this helps, Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:30 AM   #3

Must be a new 22j thing. I'm going to buy a cover soon. As a matter of fact there is a company that my cookies display in your post that has some on sale now. Now I realize that cheap is not always good but I 'm willing to replace every 2-3 years.
I do have to get through NE winters but I also want to cover even in season between trips.
I do cover my sports car and it is garage kept. It's not a bother at all.
Now covering an RV even a 24 ft one isn't the same but if it's sitting 2 weeks then that is just less direct sun on it for that off time.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:49 AM   #4

Winter?! Funny. We bought a cover for our Greyhawk because of the summers in Texas. We cover it if we are going to park it (driveway) for 2+ weeks or more. It *is* a huge hassle but think it is worth it personally. Had to buy one of those folding extension ladders since the 29ME does not come with an attached ladser.

It was 112 yesterday on my drive home from work and forecasts this week say 6 or more days of 105 upwards. But hey, global warming is a myth, right!?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3341.jpg  
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:43 AM   #5

We purchased this cover in the fall of 2016 and have covered our 2016 31FK for 5 months a year (Nov-March) in Ohio. The cover works well (its seen some very high winds, lots of snow and rain, and a decent amount of sun) and I anticipate getting at least another year out of it. It is a bit of a pain to put on, but not too bad if u fold it up correctly for when u unroll it it is in the right direction. I will definitely be purchasing one again when this one is done. I don’t have enough space to build a permanent structure to protect it, so I feel this is the best option to be able to have it at our house in the winter months (instead of storing somewhere offsite).

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Acces...526?th=1&psc=1
Old 07-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #6

Cover for sure!

There are different reasons to cover in the winter in Ontario but in Florida sun damage is an RV killer. If the unit is sitting unused I would cover for sure. I can not for the life of me understand why people would choose not to protect their investment.

Mine is covered for 5 months every winter to keep the sun off of it and to prevent ice damage. My efforts are validated every time someone asks me if the Rig is new.

Another reason to cover it is that a good canvas will have a breathable waterproof roof. Great insurance against water damage. My last RV had a skylight crack during the winter. If not for the cover I would have had massive water damage.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:40 PM   #7

Be careful covering anything outside in Florida! When I was stationed in Florida back in my Navy days I had a motorcycle...well I covered it to keep the weather off. Bad idea. The humidity and moisture caused water condensation in my gas tank and all kinds of other problems. This is with the cover on! Fixed it and took the cover off no more problems.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote