Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2017, 08:32 AM   #1

Tips appreciated - First cold weather outing

Hi all! We own a 2018 Greyhawk 29MV and are not full-timers. We've not yet taken a road trip in the Winter months but hope to in December on the coast in South Texas. So we're hopefully not talking snow and ice - just wind and temps possibly cold enough to need a heater/furnace (Texas weather is unpredictable).

We have no clue how our MH will react to this scenario. Have read many posts elsewhere where some campers (not sure of their RV model) have removed up to a gallon of water a day of condensation and we're wondering if we should be prepared to expect the same in our particular MH.

For those of you who own a 29MV, what has been your experience when using a heater/furnace in cold temps? Is condensation a given? Are there precautions we need to take that can prevent or lessen it? Anything else you can share with us to make our first cold weather outing more pleasant? Thanks for any experiences you can share - especially those for our same model MH.
Save

Save
CA-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:33 AM   #2

Condensation can be a problem. Of course condensation is water vapor in the air condensing on a cold surface. First realize that the water vapor in your RV does NOT come from a properly operating furnace. Combustion water vapor from the furnace exits the vehicle through the furnace exhaust.

Water vapor sources in your RV are breathing, cooking, showering, washing dishes, wet clothes, wet shoes, etc. Ventilation is usually the key to reducing condensation by reducing the interior humidity levels: Use the stove fan when cooking, the bathroom fan when showering, and leave a ceiling vent and a window open slightly.

We've camped in cold weather in our TT and by doing the above, we'd sometimes have some minor window condensation in the morning but nothing more than that.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
Site Team

We leave a roof vent cracked. The condensation is more evident when the outside temp and inside temp are farther apart.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Condensation can be a problem. Of course condensation is water vapor in the air condensing on a cold surface. First realize that the water vapor in your RV does NOT come from a properly operating furnace. Combustion water vapor from the furnace exits the vehicle through the furnace exhaust.

Water vapor sources in your RV are breathing, cooking, showering, washing dishes, wet clothes, wet shoes, etc. Ventilation is usually the key to reducing condensation by reducing the interior humidity levels: Use the stove fan when cooking, the bathroom fan when showering, and leave a ceiling vent and a window open slightly.

We've camped in cold weather in our TT and by doing the above, we'd sometimes have some minor window condensation in the morning but nothing more than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
We leave a roof vent cracked. The condensation is more evident when the outside temp and inside temp are farther apart.
Thank you both!

We don't plan to use our furnace and will instead use a couple of safe space heaters so hopefully that would cut down on some of the condensation.

I think we've pretty much talked ourselves out of going to the coast (South Padre Island) in December and will make that trip in warmer weather. The more we thought about it, the idea of cold wet sea spray hitting us each time we opened our door to take pup out would not make for a relaxing get away. Along with the extra detailed cleaning our rig would need after the trip to remove all the sea salt. LOL! We'll head inland but still be prepared with the space heaters and a small dehumidifier. And, we'll be sure to leave a window/roof vent slightly open and open our stove vent when in use.

Thank you very much for the info and for sharing your experiences. It's one thing to read about what could and should happen, but it's more reassuring to hear from those who experience it. Thanks again!
Save

Save
Old 10-31-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
Site Team

Don't be afraid of using your furnace. Propane is cheap and they really do heat the rv well. We use ours all the time.

Take some steps to reduce condensation as mentioned above and enjoy the trip.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:43 PM   #6

Note that propane space heaters that aren't vented to the outside WILL increase interior humidity; you didn't mention which type of space heater you'd be using. We have an electric, 1500watt space heater that does a fine job keeping our TT cozy when the temps are above freezing outside.

We love AZ, but it does lack coastline and seafood so we've made plans to travel along the TX coast this Dec to get our fill of both. This is a first for us. I'm hoping that we won't encounter salt spray unless there is a storm... and I hope storms along the coast aren't common that time of year. We'll let you know.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:42 PM   #7

If you take all the ventilation precautions during the day, you usually don't have that much trouble with condensate. When it gets you is at night, when it's colder, and every time you exhale you push moisture into the coach. At the parks you see the rigs with condensate all over the windows in the morning. That moisture is no good on the materials, wiring or anything. With my new rig, I'm going to run a portable electric dehumidifier, some are more quiet than others. If anyone has any brand advice I would like to hear it.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:06 PM   #8

Cold Weather... In Texas???

I would love the opportunity to be camping in December

We camp in our Greyhawk every spring and fall in weather that would be similar in temperature to what you might find at night in Texas. We use a small counter top dehumidifier to help with the humidity and that generally seems to do the job. Saying that though, we do not use our shower, which is probably the greatest source of moisture inside a MH.

If you are going to use electrical heat be aware of a few things. Assuming you have the A/C with a built in heat pump... The heat pump stops working a few degrees above freezing. It actually makes a rather horrific noise that may lead you to think the system is broken. Also the heat pump and a space heater working at the same time will come very close to maxing out your 30 amp service and if the parks equipment is a little worn you may pop the breaker. We avoid that problem by using a 50 to 30 amp dogbone to make sure we are drawing a full 30amps.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:25 PM   #9

Although we do not own a Greyhawk, we are on a winter trip. It got down to 16 last night in northern Utah and we are looking to a few more days below freezing. We have used our heater without an issue. Also, we made sure to use our tank heaters on nights with temps below freezing. One thing we did not have was a winterized water hose. The pipes at the place we have been to on this trip have winterized pipes. We had to wait until the temp rose above freezing. Sure much of this will be same for your Greyhawk.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA-Texas View Post
For those of you who own a 29MV, what has been your experience when using a heater/furnace in cold temps? Is condensation a given? Are there precautions we need to take that can prevent or lessen it? Anything else you can share with us to make our first cold weather outing more pleasant? Thanks for any experiences you can share - especially those for our same model MH.
South Padre - cold???

You mean like temps in the 50's???

Just kidding.
We do Port A in November all of the time. I have inlaws down there.

We just camped a weekend in the low 20s.
Use your furnace. That's what it's for.

Condensation isn't an issue.
Just crack a window.

If you can plug into shore power, run the electric heat in the Coleman Mach unit above you. Kept us warm down to low 30's. We didn't use the furnace that much.

Electric blankets are also great.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:09 AM   #11

We have a 2017 and live in upstate N.Y. Just keep in mind that although you have tank heaters the lines that come from the fresh water tank are exposed to the elements.
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #12

I do not have a MH, but do have a fair amount of cool weather camping experience. Personally, I like cool weather camping, the crowds are less, and we tend to enjoy the walks a lot more.

We leave a roof vent cracked open all year, during cold/cool weather leave a window or two ajar in the sleeping areas. We have found this combination works to help keep the condensation down.

During the cool weather months, we usually have an electric site, so we use a single 1500 watt electric heater. We will place it on the stove at night, so it is in a safe spot, so it will not get knocked in the middle of the night. We also supplement with the furnace as needed.

I don’t think Texas really ever gets cold! So freezing issues should not be an issue. I would recommend if the overnight lows are below freezing to put a little water in the FW tank for night use, and disconnect the city water connection hose.

Otherwise enjoy yourself, sounds like a lot of fun to me!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Don't be afraid of using your furnace. Propane is cheap and they really do heat the rv well. We use ours all the time.

Take some steps to reduce condensation as mentioned above and enjoy the trip.
Thanks!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Note that propane space heaters that aren't vented to the outside WILL increase interior humidity; you didn't mention which type of space heater you'd be using. We have an electric, 1500watt space heater that does a fine job keeping our TT cozy when the temps are above freezing outside.

We love AZ, but it does lack coastline and seafood so we've made plans to travel along the TX coast this Dec to get our fill of both. This is a first for us. I'm hoping that we won't encounter salt spray unless there is a storm... and I hope storms along the coast aren't common that time of year. We'll let you know.
Will use an safe electric space heater - never even thought of using propane. We're just wanting to expect the unexpected with the weather - as much as we possibly can. I'm a native Texan and our weather has been pretty unpredictable lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
If you take all the ventilation precautions during the day, you usually don't have that much trouble with condensate. When it gets you is at night, when it's colder, and every time you exhale you push moisture into the coach. At the parks you see the rigs with condensate all over the windows in the morning. That moisture is no good on the materials, wiring or anything. With my new rig, I'm going to run a portable electric dehumidifier, some are more quiet than others. If anyone has any brand advice I would like to hear it.
That was our fear - condensation seeping behind walls, etc. when I'd read that others had up to a gallon of condensation. We'll purchase a small electric dehumidifier and I, too, would love to hear tried and true recommendations. Thanks for your response!
Save

Save
Old 11-03-2017, 08:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
I would love the opportunity to be camping in December

We camp in our Greyhawk every spring and fall in weather that would be similar in temperature to what you might find at night in Texas. We use a small counter top dehumidifier to help with the humidity and that generally seems to do the job. Saying that though, we do not use our shower, which is probably the greatest source of moisture inside a MH.

If you are going to use electrical heat be aware of a few things. Assuming you have the A/C with a built in heat pump... The heat pump stops working a few degrees above freezing. It actually makes a rather horrific noise that may lead you to think the system is broken. Also the heat pump and a space heater working at the same time will come very close to maxing out your 30 amp service and if the parks equipment is a little worn you may pop the breaker. We avoid that problem by using a 50 to 30 amp dogbone to make sure we are drawing a full 30amps.
We do use our shower. Will have to ask hubby about the heat pump. But, thanks for the heads up about the noise - that would surely send me running! Appreciate the tip about the space heater/heat pump operating at the same time. Fortunately, we do have the 50/30 plug converter (is that the same as a dogbone?). Sure do appreciate all your tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaras7 View Post
Although we do not own a Greyhawk, we are on a winter trip. It got down to 16 last night in northern Utah and we are looking to a few more days below freezing. We have used our heater without an issue. Also, we made sure to use our tank heaters on nights with temps below freezing. One thing we did not have was a winterized water hose. The pipes at the place we have been to on this trip have winterized pipes. We had to wait until the temp rose above freezing. Sure much of this will be same for your Greyhawk.
A winterized water hose is on our list for future trips. I don't think we'll ever (just jinxed myself!) camp in an area below freezing but good to know it's doable. Stay warm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
South Padre - cold???

You mean like temps in the 50's???

Just kidding.
We do Port A in November all of the time. I have inlaws down there.

We just camped a weekend in the low 20s.
Use your furnace. That's what it's for.

Condensation isn't an issue.
Just crack a window.

If you can plug into shore power, run the electric heat in the Coleman Mach unit above you. Kept us warm down to low 30's. We didn't use the furnace that much.

Electric blankets are also great.
Thanks! We've only ever camped in areas where we needed to be concerned about staying cool enough - never warm enough or preventing damage from condensation. Wanted to be prepared for anything - as much as possible. And, with our unpredictable temps, we want to be set up for warm or cold camping. Easier to have things and not need them than to search for them when we do. Appreciate your suggestions - and your humor!

Save
Save

Save
Old 11-03-2017, 08:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
We have a 2017 and live in upstate N.Y. Just keep in mind that although you have tank heaters the lines that come from the fresh water tank are exposed to the elements.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I do not have a MH, but do have a fair amount of cool weather camping experience. Personally, I like cool weather camping, the crowds are less, and we tend to enjoy the walks a lot more.

We leave a roof vent cracked open all year, during cold/cool weather leave a window or two ajar in the sleeping areas. We have found this combination works to help keep the condensation down.

During the cool weather months, we usually have an electric site, so we use a single 1500 watt electric heater. We will place it on the stove at night, so it is in a safe spot, so it will not get knocked in the middle of the night. We also supplement with the furnace as needed.

I don’t think Texas really ever gets cold! So freezing issues should not be an issue. I would recommend if the overnight lows are below freezing to put a little water in the FW tank for night use, and disconnect the city water connection hose.

Otherwise enjoy yourself, sounds like a lot of fun to me!
We hope to camp in colder areas in the future so all these tips will come in very handy. Appreciate the info on the FW tank and hose disconnect. Am keeping a checklist of items and things to do. Thanks!!
Save

Save
Old 11-03-2017, 08:38 AM   #16

Thanks to you all for all the info on cold weather camping. We live in Texas and until this point all our trips have been West to warmer temps. We're hoping to head East soon and Fall camping seems to work out best for us. Wanted to be prepared for anything.

As it turns out, this trip we changed our reservation from South Padre to Fredericksburg in the Texas hill country. We'll be there over Christmas and the campground has a Christmas dinner for all the campers that we're looking forward to. Two of our kiddos will be out of the country and out of state so we'll have a family Christmas after we all return.

Hubby and I are looking forward to a campground Christmas - will be our first! A little bittersweet not being with family but fun having a relaxing Christmas Day!

Appreciate everything you've shared and I've created a checklist for cold weather camping. Thanks again!
Save

Save
Old 11-03-2017, 09:47 AM   #17

We winter camp most times by water. Love the coast from Galveston to South Padre Island. Our last RV, at times we would also dump a gallon a day from the dehumidifier. Mostly due to running ceramic space heaters and fog and cold rain. We put the low profile ceramic heater next to the door and the smaller one in the living room. We don't find this to be the case when we winter camp in Phoenix AZ. So geography does play a part in it.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Hi all! We own a 2018 Greyhawk 29MV and are not full-timers. We've not yet taken a road trip in the Winter months but hope to in December on the coast in South Texas. So we're hopefully not talking snow and ice - just wind and temps possibly cold enough to need a heater/furnace (Texas weather is unpredictable).
Interesting looking back on that statement now.

Snow in South Texas and our area near Houston and didn’t even have to leave home or wait until Christmas to see it!
Attached Thumbnails
C1BCA069-A0E0-4202-B02C-1B30F1647C12.jpg   176810D0-2E01-4DDB-8278-9411BB5816C9.jpg  
Save

Save
Old 12-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #19

Here is a small and quite dehumidifier. I use it in storage and when we camp and has been running full time since May. It needs to be emptied every other day in my climate and usage. Could be modified to drain in the sink. Could probably use a larger one but this one travels well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Interesting looking back on that statement now.

Snow in South Texas and our area near Houston and didn’t even have to leave home or wait until Christmas to see it!
We're dry as a bone here.