Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Here is a small and quite dehumidifier. I use it in storage and when we camp and has been running full time since May. It needs to be emptied every other day in my climate and usage. Could be modified to drain in the sink. Could probably use a larger

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for sharing! A quiet one is so important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
We're dry as a bone here.
Such very odd weather. We’re planning a Colorado trip for next year. Is September a good time to be there ... pleasant temps, etc? Thanks!
Save

Save
CA-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:09 PM   #22

September can be a wonderful time to visit. It usually is. Bear in mind, they did have one of the largest blizzards on record in September - but that is *rare*.

Like Texas, the weather will change frequently. If colder temps and even snow does come, it won't stay.

Late September, early October will be the time the leaves change colors.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:23 PM   #23

Quote:
September can be a wonderful time to visit. It usually is. Bear in mind, they did have one of the largest blizzards on record in September - but that is *rare*.

Like Texas, the weather will change frequently. If colder temps and even snow does come, it won't stay.

Late September, early October will be the time the leaves change colors.
Thanks for the info! As long as the odds are in our favor that’s all we can ask for with this unpredictable weather. Appreciate it!
Save

Save
Old 12-10-2017, 07:27 PM   #24

Quote:
South Padre - cold???

You mean like temps in the 50's???

Just a reminder to myself to never say never. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
9B6480F9-8E3C-4963-B929-0C060A4ADC4D.jpg  
Save

Save
Old 12-10-2017, 09:41 PM   #25

Yep - family in Corpus and Kingsville. They got snow. And we were in the mid 60's today...

Just bizarre.

No snow is actually not good for us. A lot of our water comes from Mountain Snow Pack. So, to avoid a drought, we really need it to lay down some snow in the mountains.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:55 PM   #26

I try to avoid the house furnace as much as possible. Not worried about the cost of propane, but the house furnace is as loud as a jet engine. I like it quiet when I sleep.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:29 PM   #27

Cold

Woke up Saturday morning in the campground in Natchitoches, LA to 24 degrees. Water supply hose was frozen, but thawed quickly. Furnace worked like a champ, soon warmed and then only used "Dairy" style space heaters as well. Beautiful but chilly day touring the oldest city in Louisiana.

"Dairy" style...tip over guard and thermostats.

Terry
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:59 AM   #28

We use electric space heaters to keep the noise level to a minimum, when sleeping. But that said we run the blower on the rear air conditioner, almost every night. The blower is like "white noise" and really helps with restful sleep.

This last summer, we had or stove top replaced with a full oven. to take the morning chill off we open the door of the oven and light the the burner. Works great!

Coming from a prior life of sailing, we would do the same thing with a pot of water on the stove or even an upside down clay flower pot. However, propane is a wet heat and does had to condensation.

If at a campground that has 50 amp service, there is usually a 30 amp circuit on the same electrical post. I'll use a 30 amp to 15 amp converter and run an extra heavy duty extension cord to keep the space heater on a separate circuit from the Seneca's power supply.

We notice that even pulling the shades down at night really helps with heat transfer and making the cabin warmer. During the day, only opening the shades on the side where the sun comes in, also helps.

It all helps and the best we have found for keeping the cold out is going south. Yes, with GOD's blessing we are living the dream.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:21 AM   #29
Site Team

Running the ac fan also helps to distribute the warm furnace air around and keep away cold spots.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:02 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Running the ac fan also helps to distribute the warm furnace air around and keep away cold spots.
We started doing that just recently. It works very well.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:37 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
If at a campground that has 50 amp service, there is usually a 30 amp circuit on the same electrical post. I'll use a 30 amp to 15 amp converter and run an extra heavy duty extension cord to keep the space heater on a separate circuit from the Seneca's power supply.
Similar approach here - I'll have the motorhome on the 30A circuit and then the space heater for the basement on the separate 20A circuit. It only takes the Low (500 watt) setting to keep out basement warm.

For inside the coach, I've tried the Dairy style heaters, and they're ok. But what really gave us the best bang for the watt, was a large oil filled radiator.

I put a small fan behind it to distribute the warm air but it warmed up the entire coach faster and hotter than any other electric heater we had used before.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:05 PM   #32

Temp Minder

Tire Minder, whom you may know of if you have researched TPMS also makes Temp Minder. There is an internal display that can connect with three remote temp sensors. You can place the sensors in various locations where plumbing is at risk for freezing. Much cheaper than a TPMS.

Rgolding, can you send some pictures of where you placed your heaters in your basement of the Seneca, how you secured them, and what heaters you use. We have been fine in temps to the mid 20's, but temp Minder showed temps dropping well below freezing on a night with lows of 14 degrees requiring us to winterize quickly.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:01 AM   #33

We received our 29MV on November 7 and on November 9 we were on our way to our first three night shake-down trip. Although it was only 45 miles from home, it wasn't like camping in our driveway, with the safety of the house only feet away. But Mother Nature stepped in on this trip. We knew it was going to be cold for the three nights, but not as cold as it actually got. The first night it went down to 26 degrees, and the next two nights to 19.

When we checked in, the CG owners told us that the water would be turned off each night at 7 PM and back on the next morning at 9 AM. We prepared for that by keeping some jugs of water filled for sanitary purposes, and taking our showers and eating during the "on" periods. Each evening I turned the CG water supply off, drained the hose, and placed it and the pressure regulator in the shower stall. That way it was nice and warm and pliable for the hook up in the morning. I also opened the faucets and low point drains and let them empty. I also keep the cabinet doors open that are adjacent to sinks or water lines.

For the heat, we carry a 500/1,500 watt electric heater which we kept on the high setting all night. I found that it worked best when placed nearer to the cab so it wouldn't interfere as much with the coach thermostat. The first afternoon we tried the heat pump, but then we switched on the gas furnace which worked like a champ. The only thing I found that I don't like about the 29MV is that when the bathroom door is closed to let the heat from the electric heater in the living room area get into the bedroom, there is no heat getting into the toilet/sink room. So opening the bathroom door gets heat from the furnace into the toilet/sink, but not from the heater in the front. A minor annoyance, but nothing major.

I always keep an eye on the panel showing the number of amps being used. We would range from 20-25 amps, so we were safe when the electric heater was on. I do like the idea that some MH owners run a separate line to the 20A breaker in the pedestal for their heaters, which would keep the 30A fuse from blowing. I also kept the tank heaters on each night.

The coach floor does get very cold, so our 12 pound family member got to sleep in bed with her parents for the three nights. I hope this helps.
Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:45 PM   #34

Whining

Ok, so this enclosed heated underbelly of the Seneca is someone's idea of a sense of humor. Temp Minder showed only 4 degrees difference between ambient. Why is Jayco putting tank heaters on their other motorhomes while the Seneca does not get this option???
Old 12-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #35

McGuintys,whining,I think not.....MY GH MV has tank heaters on the exposed tanks but the lines from the tanks are exposed to the elements .When at the Hershey show I asked the jayco rep when we were under the unit looking at the wires hanging down under the heaters about the unprotected water lines he just shrugged .....Go figure !
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote