Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #21

Tire Carrier

I have a Jayco 31 DS and it too did not have a spare tire. I did some research and asked some fellow rv'ers and they came to the conclusion that they were not going to change their tires anyway. But they carried a spare. So what I am doing is just carrying the spare in my basement (back storage compartment) and if I need it roadside assistance will change it. Remember you have to carry large enough jacks to lift your rv, (especially the rear) and who wants to carry all that extra weight. Sure I agree its all about the money and the bottom line, but again weight is weight and once you start loading your rig every little bit adds up and before you know it you could be overloaded. I have seen many rv'ers that have an enormous amount of tools along and seeing what else they have along makes me think they must be over weight or close. I remember one fiver told me once after he had a blow out that he was sure he was over on weight. Besides, I have not had one motorhome owner tell me that they were going to change their own tire. The replays I always get is "well you aren't going to change your own tire anyway"!
3fivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #22

Say no difference in the handling with the Roadmaster. If ever become an issue, I'll just adjust the Hellwig helper springs.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandysdad View Post
Unable to mount my spare tire between frame member on my Redhawk 26 XD as Jgerhard did, due to space constraints, and the Roadmaster Tire Carrier costing upwards of $1000.00 Canadian, I decided to build my own.
There is definitely a little overkill with my design but then again , better safe than sorry.
The units arms slide over the bumper and are secured to the frame rails with ½ inch grade 5 readyrod U brackets
All weight is on the frame, there is no weight on the bumper.
Check out pictures.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...lbums1351.html
Nice work! I guess that the tire mount is all steel?
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fivers View Post
I have a Jayco 31 DS and it too did not have a spare tire. I did some research and asked some fellow rv'ers and they came to the conclusion that they were not going to change their tires anyway. But they carried a spare. So what I am doing is just carrying the spare in my basement (back storage compartment) and if I need it roadside assistance will change it. Remember you have to carry large enough jacks to lift your rv, (especially the rear) and who wants to carry all that extra weight. Sure I agree its all about the money and the bottom line, but again weight is weight and once you start loading your rig every little bit adds up and before you know it you could be overloaded. I have seen many rv'ers that have an enormous amount of tools along and seeing what else they have along makes me think they must be over weight or close. I remember one fiver told me once after he had a blow out that he was sure he was over on weight. Besides, I have not had one motorhome owner tell me that they were going to change their own tire. The replays I always get is "well you aren't going to change your own tire anyway"!
If you are planning on staying close to population centers, I Agree with most of what you said.

I was planning on a trip to Alaska where large stretches of road are sparsely populated and there is no cell service let alone someone with an inventory of tires nearby. Knowing all this I had to plan to fix it myself, so I have a 12ton bottle jack to aid the levelers in lifting the tire off of the ground. I also carry an electric impact wrench and a torque wrench. The levelers have no issue putting the front tires many inches off the ground, but the rear may need some help. My tire was on a hitch mounted carrier for that trip. Now it resides under my bed as we travel with our van on a dolly often.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:05 PM   #25

The areas that I mostly travel have limited cell service and my rig does not have a compartment large enough to accommodate a spare tire, considering murphy’s law “Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.” I opted to carry a spare on the rear. As I also tow a Ford edge, I have the option of putting the tire in the car if need be. I also carry a 12-ton bottle jack, torque wrench and breaker bar. Yes! I do check the wheel torque when traveling, both toad and RV. If I have the option and it's convenient, I will call for help but even with my advanced age, I have no qualms with changing a tire using a combination of levelers and 12-ton jack. My only problem is lifting the tire onto the carrier. (Note: Consider bolting rather than welding the horizontal post and add a locking mechanism to allow the tire to swing down to the side similar to the Roadmaster.) http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...lbums1351.html
Prior to adding carrier and tire, I adjusted my Helwig springs to two inches as per manufacturer recommendations, the rear ground clearance of my Redhawk 26XD increased by one inch. After adding the weight of my spare tire and rim 85 pounds, my carrier 90 pounds and my Blue Ox tow bar 45 pounds for a total of 220 pounds, the rear end dropped by 1/4 inch.
The fulcrum effect of the added weight to the rear has very little effect on handling on my unit.
And last but not least. I live close to a Commercial Weigh Station that allows RV'ers free access to scales to check axle weights. I do this at the beginning of the season and prior to any extended trip, I then know if I have to shift loads from rear axle to front, side to side or jettison heavy junk as necessary.
As a side note. Prior to weighing my unit, and as there is a dump station nearby, I fill my water, grey and black tank prior to weighing. I also ensure I have a full tank of fuel and propane.
Gerry O'
brandysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:50 PM   #26

Spare tire

The best of all is the fact that very few people have the physical or mental capacity to change the tire...Duh
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:20 PM   #27

At 78 I can still handle it.
brandysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:46 PM   #28

I am 77 and I can also change my own tires !!
elcheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #29

I guess that I might be able to change a mounted tire that weighs a bit over 100 pounds... but why? I've found that the need to change a tire usually happens at a bad place and time, and often on a dark and stormy night. I really can't see risking my life and safety on the side of the road wrestling with a spare.

The last time it was on I-95 in Florida, in a rain storm. A Florida Highway Trooper blocked the lane (there was a very small shoulder) and keep us safe while AAA changed the tire.

Just my opinion....
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 02-16-2017, 05:17 PM   #30

If you happen to be in a no cell phone service area with a flat. You maybe waiting a long time for AAA.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:26 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandysdad View Post
At 78 I can still handle it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcheapo View Post
I am 77 and I can also change my own tires !!
I wasn't allowed to go take my driver's license test until I could show my dad that I could change a tire on my own. Definitely something that will happen to my 2 girls when the time comes!
Old 02-16-2017, 05:36 PM   #32

Lippert makes a bunch of under chassis mounted tire carriers, look on there site or E-trailer Lippert Underchassis Double Bin Storage Unit w/ Spare Tire Carrier for RVs - 99-1/2" Long Lippert Components RV Cargo LC125460

https://store.lci1.com/products/carg...acks-receivers

Ross..
Old 02-18-2017, 08:03 AM   #33

I went with this setup on my Seneca. Had a local weld shop fabricate a bracket for me to mount it to the frame cross member using the OEM holes. Mounted it in the open area just behind the rear axle. As you can see in the picture there's even room for the turd tote back there as well. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Spare tire hoist.jpg   Spare tire.jpg  
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer or 1999 Jeep Wrangler
Shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:04 PM   #34

Quote:
If you happen to be in a no cell phone service area with a flat. You maybe waiting a long time for AAA.

And that's why I never travel without a fridge full of beer.
Lighter than a full sized spare tire, and I can pass the time waiting.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
And that's why I never travel without a fridge full of beer.
Lighter than a full sized spare tire, and I can pass the time waiting.
What do you do when the Beer runs out, sure cannot drive for more with a Flat tire.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:58 PM   #36

Quote:
What do you do when the Beer runs out, sure cannot drive for more with a Flat tire.

Run out of beer???

Signal flares, distress beacons, PAN PAN PAN the Coast Guard, Mayday!

Good Lord man, that would be a real emergency!!!
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:37 PM   #37

That happened to us once....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Run out of beer???

Signal flares, distress beacons, PAN PAN PAN the Coast Guard, Mayday!

Good Lord man, that would be a real emergency!!!
That happened to us once.... but fortunately, we have the Roadside service

One quick call, and they were on the way to us. All went well 'till the Clydesdale's showed up... what a mess!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 02-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #38

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-31006-Sp...e+tire+carrier

If your not towing anything!
Attached Thumbnails
61HEsPbaFwL._SL1500_.jpg  
rosedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosedan View Post
If you're not towing anything!
I use this one and I am towing. It's a pain to remove it when I do tow, but I just couldn't spend $500 for the one that's designed for towing.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:17 PM   #40

That't good, I never let my two girls leave home until the could put on a set of tire chains.
Not sure what I would have done if they couldn't have done it, that was thirty years ago!! Yikes
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote