Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2019, 04:47 PM   #1

Cool Tire pressure

I own a 2019 Jayco Redhawk 24B. Trying to get the right info on correct tire pressure without going to the weight station. Do I go by the sticker 75/80 PSI cold? There is not much you can store in the 24B so I don't think I am putting lots of weight. According to the tables on internet I should go with 65/80 PSI.

Thanks in advance.: help:

Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:12 PM   #2

Unless you have changed tires to a bigger size or heavier weight capacity I would stick with the door sticker. It is designed to give you the best ride, steering and safety rating.

Dometic Milenco Aero mirrors
RogerR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:15 PM   #3

Still original tires, only 2,000 miles where 900 was from Jayco factory in Indiana to Connecticut :-)
Thank you
Old 08-20-2019, 10:42 PM   #4

The stickers donít always know what tires you have on the rig, maybe they were upgraded... You should always run the max cold pressure on the side of the tire. Only run less if you have loaded capacity weights from a scale. Then you can check the tire website for air pressure based on your weights.
Donít run low tire pressure for comfort, safety should be your first concern, especially for front tire on a motor home.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 24B View Post
I own a 2019 Jayco Redhawk 24B. Trying to get the right info on correct tire pressure without going to the weight station. Do I go by the sticker 75/80 PSI cold? There is not much you can store in the 24B so I don't think I am putting lots of weight. According to the tables on internet I should go with 65/80 PSI.

Thanks in advance.: help:
Is there a reason you don't want to weigh the 24B? If I had a new MH, I'd want two weights. One before I loaded it, and one after it's loaded and with the normal amount of fresh water I would normally carry.

But I would be coming from a TT background, so weights are very important to me.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:37 AM   #6

The easiest way to figure this out is to first go get the load specification for the tire you have. Michelin has a chart if you google around for a bit that specifically outlines the load carrying capacity of the tire at a particular tire pressure.

Then go get your rig weighed. See if you can get front and rear weights.

Adjust your tire pressure accordingly, per the objective knowledge you now have.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #7

I have a 24B, and I run the recommended tire pressures as listed on the upgraded sticker they put on the door frame.

Hopefully, Jayco and the tire manufacturer have collaborated on this, based on the modifications Jayco did, and these are what's recommended for safety. If in doubt, call the tire manufacturer directly (mine came with Hankooks) and see what they say.

2019 Redhawk 24B

RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:01 PM   #8

What's on the tires takes precedence over what any trailer manufacturer says. Always. (If I inflated my truck tires to manufacture pressures, I'd be running at 75mph at over 24% UNDERinflated. No thank you!

Check the max cold pressure on the tires. That's where you want to be. You can do the math for lower pressure and lighter loads, I do this with my truck. But I prefer to keep my trailer tires at max cold pressure stated on the sidewall. I've been towing my boat trailer (4200lbs) for 15 years in the Arizona climate with never a blow out. So I'm using same principles for my trailer...for tires and bearings.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #9

I want to thank everyone who responded. Its a huge help to hear different opinions and put them all together.
Again, much appreciated !
Old 08-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I run the recommended tire pressures as listed on the upgraded sticker they put on the door frame.

Absolutely.