Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2019, 04:47 PM   #1

Cool Tire pressure

I own a 2019 Jayco Redhawk 24B. Trying to get the right info on correct tire pressure without going to the weight station. Do I go by the sticker 75/80 PSI cold? There is not much you can store in the 24B so I don't think I am putting lots of weight. According to the tables on internet I should go with 65/80 PSI.

Thanks in advance.: help:
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:12 PM   #2

Unless you have changed tires to a bigger size or heavier weight capacity I would stick with the door sticker. It is designed to give you the best ride, steering and safety rating.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:15 PM   #3

Still original tires, only 2,000 miles where 900 was from Jayco factory in Indiana to Connecticut :-)
Thank you
Old 08-20-2019, 10:42 PM   #4

The stickers don’t always know what tires you have on the rig, maybe they were upgraded... You should always run the max cold pressure on the side of the tire. Only run less if you have loaded capacity weights from a scale. Then you can check the tire website for air pressure based on your weights.
Don’t run low tire pressure for comfort, safety should be your first concern, especially for front tire on a motor home.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 24B View Post
I own a 2019 Jayco Redhawk 24B. Trying to get the right info on correct tire pressure without going to the weight station. Do I go by the sticker 75/80 PSI cold? There is not much you can store in the 24B so I don't think I am putting lots of weight. According to the tables on internet I should go with 65/80 PSI.

Thanks in advance.: help:
Is there a reason you don't want to weigh the 24B? If I had a new MH, I'd want two weights. One before I loaded it, and one after it's loaded and with the normal amount of fresh water I would normally carry.

But I would be coming from a TT background, so weights are very important to me.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:37 AM   #6

The easiest way to figure this out is to first go get the load specification for the tire you have. Michelin has a chart if you google around for a bit that specifically outlines the load carrying capacity of the tire at a particular tire pressure.

Then go get your rig weighed. See if you can get front and rear weights.

Adjust your tire pressure accordingly, per the objective knowledge you now have.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

I have a 24B, and I run the recommended tire pressures as listed on the upgraded sticker they put on the door frame.

Hopefully, Jayco and the tire manufacturer have collaborated on this, based on the modifications Jayco did, and these are what's recommended for safety. If in doubt, call the tire manufacturer directly (mine came with Hankooks) and see what they say.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:01 PM   #8

What's on the tires takes precedence over what any trailer manufacturer says. Always. (If I inflated my truck tires to manufacture pressures, I'd be running at 75mph at over 24% UNDERinflated. No thank you!

Check the max cold pressure on the tires. That's where you want to be. You can do the math for lower pressure and lighter loads, I do this with my truck. But I prefer to keep my trailer tires at max cold pressure stated on the sidewall. I've been towing my boat trailer (4200lbs) for 15 years in the Arizona climate with never a blow out. So I'm using same principles for my trailer...for tires and bearings.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #9

I want to thank everyone who responded. Its a huge help to hear different opinions and put them all together.
Again, much appreciated !
Old 08-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I run the recommended tire pressures as listed on the upgraded sticker they put on the door frame.

Absolutely.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:58 PM   #11

So I called the dealer where I've purchased my RV and they told me to go 5 PSI lower from what sticker says 75 PSI front and 80 PSI rear but max on the tires is 80 PSI so I can"t go by the sticker in the rear. If I go with 80 PSI on a cold tire I'm going to be in trouble when the tire warms up.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:06 PM   #12

Quote:
snip...
If I go with 80 PSI on a cold tire I'm going to be in trouble when the tire warms up.
If you're asking if you will be in trouble as the tire warms up, the answer is NO. Tire manufacturers are well aware of the pressure changes as the tire warms up and you will be fine.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:14 PM   #13

Next week I'm driving from Connecticut to Florida and don't want any surprises.
Thank you and I feel better now.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:57 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
So I called the dealer where I've purchased my RV and they told me to go 5 PSI lower from what sticker says 75 PSI front and 80 PSI rear but max on the tires is 80 PSI so I can"t go by the sticker in the rear. If I go with 80 PSI on a cold tire I'm going to be in trouble when the tire warms up.
The new sticker on my door say run 75 fronts and 80 rears. The tires are stamped 80. I've been running the 75/80 combo since I brought the rig home with zero issues.

Also, just like oldman said, there are wide tolerances if you run the stamped pressures, so don't be concerned. Just don't run under inflated and check pressure cold, not hot.

We use to race a stock class with regular radial tires, you'd be amazed what pressures and temps stock tires can handle.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:17 PM   #15

Tire pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
The stickers don’t always know what tires you have on the rig, maybe they were upgraded... You should always run the max cold pressure on the side of the tire. Only run less if you have loaded capacity weights from a scale. Then you can check the tire website for air pressure based on your weights.
Don’t run low tire pressure for comfort, safety should be your first concern, especially for front tire on a motor home.
This is incorrect. On a travel trailer you should usually run the max pressure listed on the tire sidewall. Not on a motor home, truck or car. Your owners manual has the right information, and so does the plate on the side of your rig.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:20 PM   #16

Tire pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
If you're asking if you will be in trouble as the tire warms up, the answer is NO. Tire manufacturers are well aware of the pressure changes as the tire warms up and you will be fine.
This is the right answer.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:35 PM   #17

Can you give GAWR's, and the tirespecifications.
Already know E-load AT 80 psi. Need maxload or loadindex, and speedcode would be nice, but can do without. Then I will calculate. Also give howmany axles and tires behind .

In earlyer days higher then behind AT cold was allowed, not anymore.
Once read that teststandard of tires is that they have to stand 2 to 3 times the pressure behind AT .
For your tires this would mean between 160 and 240 psi.

So if tires are overloaded, wich is forbidden but happens, you better put in higher then behind AT ( 80 PSI) , to prefent overheating at speed, though tiremakes dont suppurt the higher loadcapacity, and even forbid higher pressure cold. Mother nature though likes it better. Upgrading the tires then , or reducing load, then is better.

If you would fill a tire at freesingpoint so 32 degr F, with 1.4 times AT 80 psi= 112 psi, and incidentially temp in tire rises to boilingpoint of water so 212 degr F. , the pressure rises to 158 psi wich is a little below 2x AT 80, so within the teststandards.

So go from cold pressure, and to be complete , calculated back to 65/68 degr F., and dont worry about it.

1.4 x AT cold , I read in older document to be allowed for standing still,and the 2x maxload was allowed on tire.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:46 PM   #18

That's way to much math. Just put what tire calls for when cold and your good. Been doing that for 40 years and it's worked so far.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:00 PM   #19
Site Team

Here's another read on the subject...
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=196

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:51 PM   #20

I have a 2019 Redhawk 25R with the Hancook tires. Tires are rated at 80 psi cold, Jayco door sticker states 75 PSI front and 80 psi rear. That’s what I’ve been using for a year. I would think if this was incorrect Jayco would have a lot of liability on their end by placing a sticker on the door from their factory.

I can tell you this, I have spoken to the tire manufacturer of my tow dolly trailer they are rated at 90 psi cold. When they get hot they go well above 100 psi. I was concerned so I spoke to an engineer and they said they must be inflated at 90psi cold and they allowed to expand. They also told me never run with less than 90 psi’s you’ll get a blowout.

Hope this helps.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote