Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2021, 12:37 PM   #21

Agree with Grumpy..NEED..probably not. Inner dually on MH valve extension was death rattled on a 40mile terrible stretch of road. Dev eloped a leak. Warning from TST system gave me enough advanced warning for me to get off hi way, and locate a repair place. Fortunately, after discovery issue was the valve extension, solution simple! Removed extension, re aired tire, and kept rolling. I won't travel w/o. All preparatory advice given already is perfect. It's the unexpected, NON blow out where the warning is invaluable.
cybearnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:02 PM   #22

You need one for a tow vehicle, you will never know if you have a loss of tire pressure behind you, but I do love seeing my TP all the time. It gives me one less thing to think about. And It has saved me twice in 6years of RVing!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
They don’t need one, but besides Solar, a Tpms was the best investment that I have made. I bought the TST 507.

I can watch the pressure and temperature and hopefully get a warning just before a blowout.
We have the TST 507 also. I put the sensors on and got it all set up, then checked all four of my fifth wheel’s tires, then double checked with the TPMS system. All was good, and that was at about 7 o’clock in the evening. We were getting ready to pull out of our driveway the next morning at 7 a.m., when all of a sudden, the tire monitor’s alarm started beeping. It showed one of the tires on our rig had dropped below the “low pressure threshold”. Got out of the truck and checked that tire—had a medium sized screw embedded in the sidewall, on the inside! The tire hadn’t lost enough air to even notice it, and we would have been miles down the road before it finally gave out. Called my local tire shop, they didn’t have a Goodyear Endurance like I had on the rig, but they put on the spare, which was a new Goodyear, and sold me another ST tire to replace the spare with. We were on the road within an hour—saved by the TST 507 TPMS. So, it may not be a real need, but it sure is a good investment in my book!
Old 09-15-2021, 05:49 PM   #24

Regarding TPMS and valve extensions:

On most any dually it is very hard to reach the inside tires without a tire valve extension, however I have had nothing but issues with some time having tpms sensors attached to any tire valve extensions and I have tried quite a few types. What I discovered is that by using the standard metal valve stems and a short section ~8" of clear tubing (of the right size) that you can snug the tpms sensor into the tubing and then easily screw the sensor onto the valve stem using the tubing as an extension tool. You can also remove the sensors in this manner. In addition, having "straight on" air chucks and pressure gauges makes filling the tires when needed very simple as well, all without the need of any special valve stems or valve stem extensions. ~CA
Old 09-27-2021, 09:05 AM   #25

Do you need it? The question to ask is do you want to be safe on the road with your family? The answer should be Yes. Your family and you should feel safe while traveling. Tpms will give you a warning when your tires start to go flat or if you tow a vehicle a rim is heating up, or on your motorhome. I want to keep my family, friends, or my pets safe. Have seen to many accidents where blowouts have overturned vehicle or trailers. Also damaged their vehicle or RV.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote