Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2020, 09:40 AM   #21

We had Michelins on our previous Chateau class C and they were replaced under warranty with severe sidewall cracking at two years old and always under cover. Since Michelin owns BFG, we went with them as replacements and never had any issues. This was around 5 or 6 years ago.

To be clear, I'm not dissing Michelin whatsoever and they have corrected the problem with those tires. Just wanted to try something different, and the BFG's were highly recommended by our local tire shop that did the Michelin warranty for us.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:36 PM   #22

On our light little trailer, 215/14 Endurance. We're averaging 12,000 miles per year. On interstates we drive 65-70 mph. Tires have over 30,000 miles on them and look like new. $240 every 3-4 years for Endurance is wonderful security.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
We like Goodyear Endurance tires. They are made in America. Ours came with a six year warranty. We have tried Marathon, ToxMax, and somebody else and they have all blown up within 2 to 2-1/2 years. The latter were all made in China. Also, get a Tire Minder system. You will never regret that purchase because you never feel even a blowout on the trailer, and you can check pressures and temperatures from inside the truck.
This is the way to go!
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:57 PM   #24

My 99 cummins had Michelin's on it from the factory and were great tires. I tried Cooper, Toyo, Nitto, and all.were junk. I threw on a set of BFG and those seemed to hold up pretty well even with my heavy right foot and the HUGE hp that thing was laying down.
My 01 Yukon XL had Firestone's on it from the factory and they lasted 70k and like 12 or 13 years. I put the same exact Firestone's on it and barely got 30k out of them. I thought that was strange but the guy at Discount Tire said I got some good mileage out of them. Then I told him I got 70k 9ut of the original ones and he about fell over. I put a set of Cooper's on it and I couldn't keep them balanced, they wore terrible and they had WAY too much road noise. They lasted about 35k and I scrapped them out for a set of Michelin's. These seem to be wearing very nicely and should last a while and are quiet.
My 11 silverado dually had about 55k on the factory Michelin's and I had to put new ones back on it at the tune of $2300. The factory ones wore nice but just wore out. That's what you get with a dually that does nothing but pull trailers. I got rid of that truck in 2015 with 65k on it and they seemed to be lasting and wearing well also.
My 2015 Silverado dually only has 17k on it and has Michelin's on it from the factory as well. They are wearing nicely and staying balanced nicely too.
I put a set of BFG commercial tires on one of my previous 5er's and really liked them. Oddly enough there was a 750k+ tire recall on them for tread separation. Mine never did seperate and believe me I put them thru the paces a few times. I got the recall notice from Michelin, who just so happens to own BFG. Maybe that's why the BFG's hold up well also.
My current Northpoint I pulled the China bombs off after the 2nd year and put on Goodyear Endurance tires. They were made for trailers, can carry the weights these things have, have a higher speed rating that I was also looking for and best part is they are MADE IN THE USA.
DW has an 09 G6 and it don't matter what tire we put on that thing. It eats them off every 30-35k. They wear evenly, so I know there are no worn out parts and it had a 4 wheel alignment done every time. Only once did they have to adjust it and it wasn't much.
So, I'm giving the nod to Michelin for vehicle tires and Goodyear for the trailer if you have one with a lot of weight. If not, the BFG's worked well for me too.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:20 PM   #25

I just replaced my original tires on my 2006 Jayco Eagle 325BHS. They were Goodyear Marathons, and they still had lots of tread left.

I replaced them with Carlisle Radial Trail HDs. I read many good reviews on them, I'll see if I will get 15 years out of these too. I went up one load range, D to E.
Fumes21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:35 PM   #26

When we bought our travel trailer in 2018 we must have had the best tires in the world because we had Camping World inspect the tires, the brakes and everything to make sure the camper would make it to Colorado and back on the tires it had. After the trip it went into storage and last April had the camper inspected. They said the tires and everything else after being inspected was in great shape. So 2 years later unless something happens I am not worried about the tires. I would talk to either Discount Tire or Camping World about tires. Those are the two I trust. Good luck.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:24 AM   #27

We won't run michlins ever. A number of years ago I bought, I thought, X-Radials from Costco in Portland. They lasted 30K miles and were worn out. No tread. I went back to Costco and showed the guy the receipt and wanted new tires because they were supposed to last 60K. He said you have Radial-X's, not X-Radials and they don't have the same warranty. I said that I paid for X-Radials and he mounted the wrong tires. His answer was I changed the tires and eat crap. I asked to talk with the manager and he said he was it. I got home, called the manager and he told me explicatively to go away. By the way, Michelin only makes radial-X's for Costco. I won't buy mischlin's or tires from Costco.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:03 AM   #28

Hi Chris- I owned and operated a fleet of F550, and E350's for 20 some years. We had good luck with Michelin, Cooper, Bridgestone and Nokian. Other mainsteam brands are good, but those are the ones that worked for us. Cooper was proable the best value, but the Michelins held up the best. The Michelins always seem to need less weights on the balancer if that means anything. I have recently sold and semi retired. BTW I have Michelin Defender LTX's on my class C.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
ChrisMic, I noticed San Diego is your home. Did you cover your tires in the off season? I have done mine for the last two trailers and have never had sun degradation like you experienced. My old trailer did have sun damage.

My suggestion is that no matter what you get consider covers for any exposed tires in that hot California sun.
Sadly I will admit we bought the covers and didn't use them. Will be meticulous with their use on the new tires.
ChrisMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma/opa View Post
My 2017 Jayco Seneca came with Michelin tires with date code of week 40 year 2015. Inservice date of the mh was April 2017. Took them for inspection due to sidewall cracks with 21000 miles in June. Tire dealer said need to be replaced. Dealer called Michelin and we agreed to a 70% reimbursement of the retail cost of the tires. I purchased the unit used so I don't know if the tires were covered(originally in Florida) on not. Maybe not the greatest deal but it saved me $2400.
Oh this is interesting. we are very similar 4915. 17k miles.
ChrisMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:34 AM   #31

I have run nothing but Michelins on the current and past 2 motorhomes and never had a problem. Always kept the tires properly inflated and they were always covered when the rigs were parked.

When we had our class c about 10 years ago Michelin did implement a recall on some tires but ours were not included.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote