Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2020, 11:15 AM   #1

Tires for my Greyhawk!

Yes I realize this is a hotly debated topic.
Yes I only want the best to protect my family.
No I don't want to spend extra on something that I can get an equally safe and well made product for less.

Currently have 17k miles on three year old tires. I see some sun cracks and I want to replace all at this time.

So my ask is, what tires do you run? Do you hate them or love them.

I have searched the forum and the internet and I understand this is a potential for lecture topic but I would like some real world advice.

Thank you all!
ChrisMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #2

We like Goodyear Endurance tires. They are made in America. Ours came with a six year warranty. We have tried Marathon, ToxMax, and somebody else and they have all blown up within 2 to 2-1/2 years. The latter were all made in China. Also, get a Tire Minder system. You will never regret that purchase because you never feel even a blowout on the trailer, and you can check pressures and temperatures from inside the truck.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMic View Post
Yes I realize this is a hotly debated topic.
Yes I only want the best to protect my family.
No I don't want to spend extra on something that I can get an equally safe and well made product for less.

Currently have 17k miles on three year old tires. I see some sun cracks and I want to replace all at this time.

I have searched the forum and the internet and I understand this is a potential for lecture topic but I would like some real world advice.

Thank you all!
Michelin recommends that you have them inspected since not all sun cracks are critical. Also look at the DOT date to see how old the tires actually are. There have been several discussions regarding HANKOOK as being a good replacement. With that said I always went with MICHELIN on our MH's. If you join FMCA they have a tire program that can get you some good discounts so the Membership fee was worth it in my opinion.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:43 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMic View Post
It would help us give you suggestions if we knew which rig you have.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
It would help us give you suggestions if we knew which rig you have.
2017 Greyhawk MV29
Old 07-01-2020, 03:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Michelin recommends that you have them inspected since not all sun cracks are critical. Also look at the DOT date to see how old the tires actually are. There have been several discussions regarding HANKOOK as being a good replacement. With that said I always went with MICHELIN on our MH's. If you join FMCA they have a tire program that can get you some good discounts so the Membership fee was worth it in my opinion.
Thank you I will look into FMCA.

ANd into finding a place to inspect our current Michelins.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:55 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Michelin recommends that you have them inspected since not all sun cracks are critical. Also look at the DOT date to see how old the tires actually are. There have been several discussions regarding HANKOOK as being a good replacement. With that said I always went with MICHELIN on our MH's.
I always thought Michelins were good tires... But I was one of many that experienced premature sun cracks and sidewall dry rot in the ones on my regular truck... So, no more Michelins for me.

So far, I'm really happy with the Hankooks that came on this rig.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:16 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I always thought Michelins were good tires... But I was one of many that experienced premature sun cracks and sidewall dry rot in the ones on my regular truck... So, no more Michelins for me.

So far, I'm really happy with the Hankooks that came on this rig.
Michelin has suffered some quality control issues over the past decade resulting in product recalls and the discontinuation of several of their product lines including the LTX MS.

https://www.michelinman.com/lightTruckUpdate.html

We were unlucky enough to have a LTX MS suffer a sidewall separation at highway speeds on my wife's Ram. After that episode, I will no longer purchase or recommend a Michelin product.

I used to be a tried and true Michelin buyer. I now have been purchasing Bridegestone Dueler or Firestone Destination for my trucks with great results. Some continue to be served well by Michelin. I have chosen to spend my money elsewhere.

The only Michelin tires that I have left are the OEM factory tires (Primacy XC) on my F150. They have been OK so far (24K miles). I will reevaluate my stance on Michelin when those come due. I haven't been overly impressed by their tread wear, but the tires seem to be doing OK otherwise.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:17 AM   #9

I too have always been a Michelin fan, and it will probably be difficult for me NOT to replace these with Michelins. I've put them on everything I've owned for the last 15 year or so? Maybe longer? Never regretted it once. I've gotten GREAT service and life out of ALL of them.

That being said, the Hankooks that came on my rig seem to be doing REALLY well. Over 2-1/2 years and over 12,000 miles, and they still look good. They never lose air, even after sitting for 2-3 months (only time I ever have to adjust is for temp changes), tread wear seems to be fine, and I haven't seen any cracks yet.

I hear good things about Cooper tires, but I don't know what's available in the size/load rating you'd need for a class C.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Michelin has suffered some quality control issues over the past decade resulting in product recalls and the discontinuation of several of their product lines including the LTX MS.

https://www.michelinman.com/lightTruckUpdate.html

We were unlucky enough to have a LTX MS suffer a sidewall separation at highway speeds on my wife's Ram. After that episode, I will no longer purchase or recommend a Michelin product.

I used to be a tried and true Michelin buyer. I now have been purchasing Bridegestone Dueler or Firestone Destination for my trucks with great results. Some continue to be served well by Michelin. I have chosen to spend my money elsewhere.

The only Michelin tires that I have left are the OEM factory tires (Primacy XC) on my F150. They have been OK so far (24K miles). I will reevaluate my stance on Michelin when those come due. I haven't been overly impressed by their tread wear, but the tires seem to be doing OK otherwise.
My Ram 2500 came with Firestones, (Transforce HT) and those tires "burned" me on that brand. HORRIBLE service life. Granted, I was pretty hard on those tires, but even considering that, they were NOT good.

I have Bridgestones on my new Wrangler, and I'm watching them closely. Or maybe I'm looking for an excuse to put something more aggressive on... it is a Jeep afterall!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-03-2020, 08:27 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
My Ram 2500 came with Firestones, (Transforce HT) and those tires "burned" me on that brand. HORRIBLE service life. Granted, I was pretty hard on those tires, but even considering that, they were NOT good.

I have Bridgestones on my new Wrangler, and I'm watching them closely. Or maybe I'm looking for an excuse to put something more aggressive on... it is a Jeep afterall!
My '07 Ram came with the Transforce AT. I will agree with you. They were not good wearing tires. I think that mine were replaced before 20K if I remember correctly.

I have been very impressed with both the Destination AT and the Dueler lines. The Dueler AT RHS that are on my wife's truck now have about 50K (1st pic) on them with a lot of tread left. My current Destination AT's (2nd pic) on my Ram 2500 have a little over 25K on them and are wearing great.
Attached Thumbnails
20200703_104112.jpg   20200703_104545.jpg  

Old 07-03-2020, 08:30 AM   #12

ChrisMic, I noticed San Diego is your home. Did you cover your tires in the off season? I have done mine for the last two trailers and have never had sun degradation like you experienced. My old trailer did have sun damage.

My suggestion is that no matter what you get consider covers for any exposed tires in that hot California sun.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #13

I have a 5th wheel and changed and use the Sailun S 637 g rated regional commercial trailer tires. They have a better record than the good years. I know the endurance are better than the marabombs but they fail also. Blow out here on an endurance. the Sailuns do not brake the bank. and were on my old montana and never had a problem. if you have a 5th wheel i recommend these.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #14

To all you guys talking about Sailuns, Goodyear Endurance, various other trailer-type tires:

While OP has not specifically identified his rig, based on the fact that this is in the Class C section, I assume he's looking for tire suggestions for his motorhome. Different ball game than trailer or 5er.

Now, back on track...

I like the looks of those Destinations.

I haven't even looked, but are any of these other tires even offered in the sizes or load ratings we'd be looking at on a MH? I know Michelin, Hankook and Cooper all make appropriate tires, but what other options are there?

Also, it's highly unlikely I would put on or recommend an A/T tire for a motorhome application. At least for any of the Ford/GM cutaway chassis. MAYBE on one of the Ford or Ram "pickup" chassis, and then only IF it was 4x4.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #15
Site Team

Bridgestone/Firestone definitely make load range E tires with a more highway friendly tread. My Sprinter came with Kumho tires that are load range E, but they are 16".

Old 07-03-2020, 05:53 PM   #16

My 2017 Jayco Seneca came with Michelin tires with date code of week 40 year 2015. Inservice date of the mh was April 2017. Took them for inspection due to sidewall cracks with 21000 miles in June. Tire dealer said need to be replaced. Dealer called Michelin and we agreed to a 70% reimbursement of the retail cost of the tires. I purchased the unit used so I don't know if the tires were covered(originally in Florida) on not. Maybe not the greatest deal but it saved me $2400.
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:50 PM   #17

I think the tire experts would tell you that proper care (inflation, not overheating, staying under their speed limit) is more critical to safety than brand.

I replaced the stock Michelin's with Goodyears on the front and will put more Goodyears on the back when it's time.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:37 PM   #18

[QUOTE=Camper_bob;871111]To all you guys talking about Sailuns, Goodyear Endurance, various other trailer-type tires:

While OP has not specifically identified his rig, based on the fact that this is in the Class C section, I assume he's looking for tire suggestions for his motorhome. D

So extremly sorry. Most of us probably only saw new posts and just wanted to help. I didn't see anything related to class c. So sorry for trying to help. Thank you for pointing out how stupid we are
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:11 AM   #19

Quote:
I too have always been a Michelin fan, and it will probably be difficult for me NOT to replace these with Michelins. I've put them on everything I've owned for the last 15 year or so? Maybe longer? Never regretted it once. I've gotten GREAT service and life out of ALL of them.

That being said, the Hankooks that came on my rig seem to be doing REALLY well. Over 2-1/2 years and over 12,000 miles, and they still look good. They never lose air, even after sitting for 2-3 months (only time I ever have to adjust is for temp changes), tread wear seems to be fine, and I haven't seen any cracks yet.

I hear good things about Cooper tires, but I don't know what's available in the size/load rating you'd need for a class C.
I replaced my original tires (sorry forgot the brand) with Cooper tires and have no issues. 2 years now. 2013 Greyhawk
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:55 AM   #20

[QUOTE=Thomson;871324]
Quote:
To all you guys talking about Sailuns, Goodyear Endurance, various other trailer-type tires:

While OP has not specifically identified his rig, based on the fact that this is in the Class C section, I assume he's looking for tire suggestions for his motorhome. D

So extremly sorry. Most of us probably only saw new posts and just wanted to help. I didn't see anything related to class c. So sorry for trying to help. Thank you for pointing out how stupid we are
That was NOT my intention sir.

I GREATLY appreciate when forum members try to help, I was just trying to help further by trying to keep the "water" clear in this thread.

I'm sorry I offended you so.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV