Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #1

Unhappy To my fellow Seneca owners something to check for

We had a major rain storm move through last night 5-6 inches of rain and 40-50 mph winds. My unit was backed onto my driveway nose slightly down and lower on the drivers side. I thought, all slides in great chance to check for water intrusion. Everything was dry except for a puddle of moving water behind drivers seat panel in the corner that covers the coach and truck joint. I looked out side and all the run off was coming down the joint seam. I pulled off the 4 small cap screws and the 4 long screws behind them then took panel off and WOW ! The water was coming in at a high rate, as it was raining, sealing a wet surface then was not an option had to wait till today. The only plus was due to lack of floor sealing behind panel and with it off and not holding the water back, it was flowing out just as fast as it was coming in. I supplied pictures and the daylight you see is where the silicone has opened up. I would recommend spending a little time to remove both drivers and passengers panels and check for day light and seal floor from dust, bugs and critters. I believe due to the big slide on drivers side there is more flexing than on the pass side. I resealed both sides of vertical seam on drivers side and the horizontal seam on both sides. That is daylight and an easy water access point that should be checked on a regular basis(This will become one of my spring check points now when pulling unit out of storage) This is a 2015 37 RB with 6000 miles on it so not to shook up yet for this to happen. I hope my misfortune may help someone else avoid this type of frustration
Attached Thumbnails
interior shot (2).JPG   seam 1 (2).JPG   seam 2 (2).JPG   side shot (2).JPG  
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:38 PM   #2

We had a molding seam on the back driver's side open much the same. It is the one that connects the side wall with the back cap. Looked like one of the assembly screws missed. I carry a good flexible black caulking to shoot into any open spot like that. Imagine your house going down the highway at 65 mph or faster. Things flex.

I like to cover all the roof seams with the EternaBond roofing tape. It comes in both white and black. I clean with rubbing alcohol and put on right over the roof caulking. Just another line of defense.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #3

I will check all the joint seams looks like it might be regular maintenance item, will look for the tape you mentioned to add to the toolbox, thanks gord
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote