Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2021, 04:50 PM   #1

Toad

Just bought a 1994 Sidekick 2 wheel drive, standard ready for towing. Pull behind 2012 Melbourne 29fDQuestion I plan on flat tow, do I need to lock steering wheel ((with seat belt) and do I need to have steering wheel in unlocked position (key on)? Thanks for a reply. Paul
pwfidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwfidler View Post
Just bought a 1994 Sidekick 2 wheel drive, standard ready for towing. Pull behind 2012 Melbourne 29fDQuestion I plan on flat tow, do I need to lock steering wheel ((with seat belt) and do I need to have steering wheel in unlocked position (key on)? Thanks for a reply. Paul
The steering wheel will need to be unlocked when flat towing. ~CA
Old 01-13-2021, 05:22 PM   #3

Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
The steering wheel will need to be unlocked when flat towing. ~CA
I suspected such. Do you think it also prudent to lock wheel with seat belt? Have heard different opinions. Thx
Old 01-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #4

Quote:
I suspected such. Do you think it also prudent to lock wheel with seat belt? Have heard different opinions. Thx
Perhaps it is better to say this in a different manner. The steering wheel needs to be free to turn from full left to full right and should not have anything in place that prevents the steering wheel from being able to turn freely. Best wishes, CA
Old 01-14-2021, 02:42 PM   #5

Toad

Yes it has to be unlocked. Did some minor experimental toes with steering wheel locked and unlocked. Both work to some extent, BUT travels very easy and well unlocked. Thanks for input much appreciated. Stay well!!
Old 01-15-2021, 10:48 PM   #6

Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Perhaps it is better to say this in a different manner. The steering wheel needs to be free to turn from full left to full right and should not have anything in place that prevents the steering wheel from being able to turn freely. Best wishes, CA
Well I can see that maybe. Unlocked I am ok with, free reign to turn not so much. The vehicle being flat towed would be like a trailer and wheels would turn at different speed when turning not necessarily have to turn in a direction.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Well I can see that maybe. Unlocked I am ok with, free reign to turn not so much. The vehicle being flat towed would be like a trailer and wheels would turn at different speed when turning not necessarily have to turn in a direction.
Hi pwfidler, Towing a toad is similar to towing a trailer, but it is not a conventional trailer. The difference is that a toad has a much greater distance between the two axles and when you go to take a right or left hand turn the wheels on the front need to follow the RV (follow as in their pointing direction). To make matters even a bit more strange (so to speak) is that the rear overhang (area past the rear RV axle) causes the toad's steering wheel to temporarily turn in the opposite direction of the RV's turn. So if you are taking a right, the rear of the RV actually moves left first, causes the toad steering wheel to go left, and then follows through to the right. If the front wheels of the toad cannot turn (not speaking about rotation, as I am speaking about directional turning as in where the toad front wheels are pointing and as reflected with the toad's steering wheel) then they will be dragged, scooted, into submission. This causes a lot of strain on the steering components and even more so on the tires.

I had known some jeep toads that the owners had seen issues with the toad's steering wheel not returning after the turn and some used a bungee cord in an effort to help with that, however that really doesn't work well after the steering wheel has turned over 180 degrees and causes scooting if the steering wheel is limited to less than that. In such cases you could add more castor to the toad's alignment or go with a self-centering steering stabilizer like many here use on their Class C.

If you have the ability, try it out in a large parking lot and make some large and smooth figure 8 turns, not as tight as possible, but tight enough to match the turn to something similar to making a right hand turn (and left) at an intersection. You will see that the toad's steering tires and the steering wheel will point to the direction needed to follow the rear of the RV.

I am not familiar with the SideKick, more so with Jeeps. I am aware that some short wheelbase toads tend to get squirrely when trying to come out of a turn, some will even try to turn in the opposite direction as needed to follow the RV, if that happens to yours, the better answer is again, more caster or self-centering steering stabilizer, as if you restrict the steering wheel, then you end up scooting the front of the toad. This is not good for the toad, the hitch, the tires, the steering components, in fact, just not good all the way around.

Hope this helps and makes sense. Good Luck. CA
Old 01-17-2021, 04:24 PM   #8

Wow thanks for your time and information. Doing some experimental towing tomorrow. Think I’ll be ok with flat tow, key on, steering unhindered. The Sidekick is a very small vehicle, short wheel base, manual 2wd, so should tow nicely. Thanks again. Paul