Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #1

Toad protection

What, if anything, do you use to protect your toad from stones, etc.? Pros and cons?
Thanks
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
What, if anything, do you use to protect your toad from stones, etc.? Pros and cons?
Thanks
I just made sure I never hit any.......

In all seriousness, pulled a TOAD for 16 years, never used a rock shield and never had any issues.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

In all seriousness, pulled a TOAD for 16 years, never used a rock shield and never had any issues.
x2.
Use caution when adding any solid guard to the front as it can cause overheating of some toad transmissions.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

x3....hope I don't start now. I tend to not tow on questionable surfaces unless I am relatively slow. If I was going to drive the Alcan Hwy.....well I won't so no issues.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #5

Maybe I'm just being too cautious. It's a new Jeep and I'm overprotective. Lol
Old 04-07-2018, 06:38 PM   #6

They make a bra for the Jeeps...I plan to get one for our new Rubicon. Just in case but if the road gets really bad and they just laid gravel I plan to unhook and let the boss drive the Jeep a safe distance behind until all is clear again. Never had that happen but you never know.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:36 PM   #7

I have a rock guard that is integrated with my Demco tow bar, works great!
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:44 PM   #8

toad shield

Have towed a Honda CRV over 55k miles and no dings on front or windshield. Dings are on the side from people opening car doors and hitting it.
Lillys Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
They make a bra for the Jeeps...I plan to get one for our new Rubicon. Just in case but if the road gets really bad and they just laid gravel I plan to unhook and let the boss drive the Jeep a safe distance behind until all is clear again. Never had that happen but you never know.
I was told a while back that the bra's on the front of the vehicles flapping and so to speak of moving in the wind scratch the paint with the dust and grime. Seems years ago someone showed me theirs. Something to think about that I sort of remember. Seen some people around using the clear type wrap on the front of painted cars and trucks. Just figured I would pass that along.
Mont Belvieu, TX
T&M_Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:00 AM   #10

Jeep toad guard

I built this guard one afternoon. I can’t remember how much I have in it, maybe $25-30 dollars. The guard helps deflect gravel from hitting the front. It’s just a matter of time before you end up on a road with fresh gravel. I also made a full cover for my windshield.
Attached Thumbnails
0997550B-4985-429E-8C6A-766D19DA6D61.jpg  
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&M_Texas View Post
I was told a while back that the bra's on the front of the vehicles flapping and so to speak of moving in the wind scratch the paint with the dust and grime. Seems years ago someone showed me theirs. Something to think about that I sort of remember. Seen some people around using the clear type wrap on the front of painted cars and trucks. Just figured I would pass that along.
I bought a used Toyota MR2 Spyder that was used for a toad that came with a bra. When I removed it to wax the car it is as you stated. You can see almost the outline of the bra. Was it previous owner neglect I don’t know but choose to leave it off. I do get some dings in the front from being towed but the car sits lower to the ground and has more hood exposure than most toads.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:35 AM   #12

Thanks all. Definitely not going with a bra. Had one on a previous vehicle and it does rub the paint. Gravel can't always be avoided, we hit a long stretch of road under construction this year south of Houston. Guess a bottle of touch up paint is my solution for right now.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99336 View Post
x3....hope I don't start now. I tend to not tow on questionable surfaces unless I am relatively slow. If I was going to drive the Alcan Hwy.....well I won't so no issues.
First, it's the Alaska Highway, not Alcan. (Great way to alienate the locals by calling it the alCAN).

And it's paved, just like the roads in the US. I've driven it more than a dozen times and the only issue was a rock chip in a construction area. But I've had more damage on Interstates (broken spring mount due to pot hole, broken windshield due to truck throwing up piece of metal), city roads (blown shocks, broken windshields from trash, hole in AC condenser from loose gravel spilled on road) and the like in the lower 48. You get the idea.

Worry more about taking your time and enjoying the scenery.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
First, it's the Alaska Highway, not Alcan. (Great way to alienate the locals by calling it the alCAN).

My bad....I grew up in the Pacific NW and it was always referred to as the ALCAN by the truckers who drove it on a regular basis, so it is an old habit. That said, I have never had enough time off to drive it, but a friend in the office next to mine just got back....he said that the frost heaves were pretty bad and as you note the construction zones. When I retire and have the time, I may do it, just always planned on something smaller than a 31 foot motorhome pulling a toad. Guess we shall see.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:25 AM   #15

Tow Defender by RoadMaster. I have yet to get a rock chip on the front of my toad, and it rolls up and stores and attaches very easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Port Townsend 07.jpg  
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky46 View Post
Tow Defender by RoadMaster. I have yet to get a rock chip on the front of my toad, and it rolls up and stores and attaches very easy.
I have one like this. Mine came from Blue Ox ....
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&M_Texas View Post
Yea, I heard the same. I have used them before in the past. Just need to be sure the Jeep is clean before installation. They don’t flap around. The attachment is stretch fit and tight. Just covers the grill and a few inches of the hood. The headlights and windshield are my main concern so probably won’t bother with the bra as it doesn’t help that area anyway.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwade View Post
I built this guard one afternoon. I can’t remember how much I have in it, maybe $25-30 dollars. The guard helps deflect gravel from hitting the front. It’s just a matter of time before you end up on a road with fresh gravel. I also made a full cover for my windshield.
Is that PVC pipe? This is a great idea! Thanks for posting. Now I have a new project on my list!
Old 04-10-2018, 10:05 PM   #19

Yep, a couple sticks of 3/4, some elbows, and tees. I ordered the wire off Ebay. The wire has 1/4” squares. I used zip ties to attach the wire. I use 3 zip ties to hold it to the jeep. Two at the bottom attached to the tow bar, and one at the center of the jeep hood.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:44 AM   #20

My wife surprised me with a Jeep bra and grill cover for our Jeep. It's a two piece item and got it through a local Chrysler/Jeep dealer. It has been working good for me for three years now. I remove it in the winter when, not being towed, to help keep moisture and corrosion from building up behind it. Put it back on as part of the de-winterizing maintenance.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote