Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2020, 11:46 AM   #1

TOAD rear view cameras...

Hi folks,

Couple of questions.....Gonna pull a TOAD this year, we'll now be 53 feet long....and was wondering where is the best place to install a rear view camera?

My main reason for the camera is to watch the TOAD when changing lanes. I'm thinking on the rear of the RV would be the best place as opposed to the TOAD itself...but figured I'd ask the experienced RV'ers.

I'm also looking to go wireless as I may want to use it for other purposes...as well as ease of installation.

Is there any recomendations on avialable camera systems? Systems I should avoid? Connectivity, weak signals, resolution, etc.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:18 PM   #2

I thought 2016 Greyhawks have side and rear view cameras as standard equipment. Yours does not?
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I thought 2016 Greyhawks have side and rear view cameras as standard equipment. Yours does not?
Yes, I have side and rear camera..but they share the same screen as my navigation, radio etc. I was looking for dedicated screen.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowCross View Post
Yes, I have side and rear camera..but they share the same screen as my navigation, radio etc. I was looking for dedicated screen.
Some of us have installed a switch to disable the side view cameras thereby leaving the reaview camera available for viewing whenever you want. With the switch "off", just using the turn signal no longer interrupts the nav screen, or the rear camera view if you have that selected. That switching of the view was very annoying!

There are separate monitors available in the aftermarket, you could route your existing cameras to it. You likely have a camera switching module that outputs video through a RCA cable into the back of the dash head unit. Or you likely could plug just the rearview camera to a new monitor. My switching unit is from Voyager, you may have the exact same unit. Connection diagrams are available online. I know where the modules are on Senecas, but I have no idea where Jayco installed it on a Ford chassis.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:56 AM   #5

I like the rear viewing camera of our Seneca so much that I wish I could have the same constant rear view in our Silverado and our Traverse. Anyone know if there is a way to make them stay on like when in reverse, but all the time?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
I like the rear viewing camera of our Seneca so much that I wish I could have the same constant rear view in our Silverado and our Traverse. Anyone know if there is a way to make them stay on like when in reverse, but all the time?
Assuming there isn't an option in the menu settings, find the reverse trigger wire and hook it to power source that is always on when the engine is running. This may override the nav system if you have one or other radio screen options unless you add a switch. I would look in the menu for camera settings to see if this is an option first.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Some of us have installed a switch to disable the side view cameras thereby leaving the reaview camera available for viewing whenever you want. With the switch "off", just using the turn signal no longer interrupts the nav screen, or the rear camera view if you have that selected. That switching of the view was very annoying!

There are separate monitors available in the aftermarket, you could route your existing cameras to it. You likely have a camera switching module that outputs video through a RCA cable into the back of the dash head unit. Or you likely could plug just the rearview camera to a new monitor. My switching unit is from Voyager, you may have the exact same unit. Connection diagrams are available online. I know where the modules are on Senecas, but I have no idea where Jayco installed it on a Ford chassis.
I like the idea of attaching the rear camera to its own monitor.
I don't really like the in dash monitor because the sun washes it out.

Who has the connection diagrams..Jayco or the camera manufacture?
Old 05-19-2020, 06:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowCross View Post
Who has the connection diagrams..Jayco or the camera manufacture?
If you email Jayco and have your VIN number they would likely be able to email you the wiring information for your specific unit. It may take a few days, they may not be operating at full strength yet.

In this attached thread I posted a wiring diagram for the camera switching module installed in my 2014. It is possible Jayco used the same unit in other motorhome lines, I do know it stuck around for years in the Senecas.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...eca-71812.html
Old 05-20-2020, 10:53 PM   #9

You can buy a Bluetooth wireless rear camera with seperate screen for around $200-300 dollars. Google online.
/
Rick

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote