Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2019, 12:29 PM   #21

2018 Jayco Greyhawk 29 w. Tow a 2007 Toyota FJ cruiser. Modifications to the FJ. Transmission fluid pump. It's about 5000 lbs but so much fun. Mostly dispersed camping for the past 18 mos. Lots of off road and deep sand. Trailmaster 6000 lb tow bar, Patriot 2 brake. All has worked great for 24,000 mi. Full time. Usually unhook for long grades. Easier on the Jayco and me.
Bduck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeUSNRet View Post
We tow a 2019 Chevrolet Equinox. It's fairly light, has decent cargo capacity, very good performance and serves as a good daily driver for my wife.

Using a Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake system, it's easy and quick to hook up and tows great. We're very pleased with the whole setup.

As a side note, two weeks ago we were camped at a state campground, in the mountains, with no cell service. One of our dogs had a medical emergency. It was great to be able to load him in the car and get him over 60 miles to a vet quickly without having to break down our campsite and move the motorhome. We will not be without a toad from now on.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Mike...just bought a '19 Equinox. Not planning to tow it but curious about what vehicle prep is required. Surprised you can flat tow, as they are all basically FWD with selectable AWD. Thanks!
RobShanVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:42 PM   #23

Anyone ever experience the death wobble with any of the Jeep products? I’ve heard the Cherokee is an issue and requires a special,$1K switch and solenoid wiring kit to energize the active 2/steering controls.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Anyone ever experience the death wobble with any of the Jeep products? I’ve heard the Cherokee is an issue and requires a special,$1K switch and solenoid wiring kit to energize the active 2/steering controls.
I've not experienced it myself, but I'm aware of the issue.

It's because of the electric steering controls. I can't remember the specifics on the technical root cause of the issue. But from what I understand, Jeep moved away from that technology, so the issue is only present on a thin band of certain year models. For example, the issue may present on 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but not 2015. That's one of the reasons I insisted on a 2015 model when I bought mine.

Also from what I've read, that $1K dealer fix is accurate.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #25

We have a 2005 Jayco Seneca 35GS, we tow a 2018 Cherokee Latitude Plus with the Active Drive II. The Active Drive lets us put the automatic transmission into neutral with push of a button on the console. Mileage depending on terrain is between 6.9 and 8.3 at around 68 mph for the RV with the tow.
gregowens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:31 PM   #26

I have a 2016 Greyhawk 29MV and tow a 2017 Jeep Patriot with a manual transmission which weighs about 3200 pounds. I use all Blue Ox gear and and a RVi Brake 3 for the toad. Also use a RVi TPMS for both the motorhome and toad. We have used this set up to snowbird in Tucson and Yuma the last two winters without any issues.
Butch C
Butch C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:01 PM   #27

We tow a 2014 Subaru Forrester AWD w/ manual transmission. Put in neutral turn key to ACC and go.
Seek and Enjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:58 AM   #28
Site Team

I have also been doing some research on my own for tow vehicles. One thing I have learned is that many old and new vehicles are not listed in the Dingy guides. I would see one model being towed then asked the owner why It was not listed and they told me many are not. You have to do more looking on your own.
One in particular I was interested in is the Kia Soul, manual tranny.

Just cause it's not in the dingy guide, it can still be towed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:09 AM   #29

We are towing a 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe on a tow dolly by American Tow Dolly behind our 2018 Redhawk 29XK.
It's what we had. I did a test run to the Florida Keys with a rented dolly. And thank god we did. One of our dogs got sick and I was able to get her to a vet in time.
I installed one of those LED strips that you usually put on a pickup truck on the top of the rear window and run the wires through the passenger compartment and then under the hood. Works better than those mouse ears and doesn't fall off whenever you hit rough roads. The RV already had a 7 blade, 4 pin combo connector. It was a no-brainer.
KregChar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #30

Second Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladecki View Post
2017 Greyhawk 31DS . I tow a 2016 Colorado Diesel crew cab. Pulls Nice. Its nice to have the extra storage space to store stuff on extended trips. I also have a 2006 Mini Cooper that I cant even tell is behind me.

I did add a second rear camera to look out past the back of the truck plus kept the one that looks straight down. I got a rear view mirror with a duel video monitor that has both cameras on all the time.

Tow Bar and Plates are all Roadmaster using a BrakebuddyII.

What brand of mirror/camera did you get? I'm thinking about getting a second camera and a mirror to replace the useless one that's currently there. Also, how did you wire the second camera?

One option I read was to use a GoPro in the back window and a tablet to display a live feed. The backup camera is nice but I'd really like to have a full time view of the road and my toad behind me. Changing lanes makes me nervous.
AlisiaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisiaP View Post
What brand of mirror/camera did you get? I'm thinking about getting a second camera and a mirror to replace the useless one that's currently there. Also, how did you wire the second camera?

One option I read was to use a GoPro in the back window and a tablet to display a live feed. The backup camera is nice but I'd really like to have a full time view of the road and my toad behind me. Changing lanes makes me nervous.
I appreciate the benefits of camera systems as much as the next guy and don't want to sound judgmental....but I personally find that the excellant mirrors on my 2016 Greyhawk are all I need for driving. I just did 7K knuckle biting miles through multiple "big cities" and never once looked at my camera's except to occassionally make sure the toad was behind me. I must be getting old, as I find the camera's to be a distraction for regular driving and lane changes. Sorry....again....not judging, just can't seem to comprehend the value except backing up or if I am bored of the scenery in front of my.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #32

I tow a Chevy Sonic behind my 2016 Redhawk. It is listed to flat tow, it’s light, has plenty of room inside, and I barely know it’s back there. I had a kill switch put in to tow in neutral, and works very well for me!
bdoc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #33

Towing a Honda Accord

We tow a 2002 Honda Accord with the front wheels on an Acme Two Dolly. It was what we had. The Acme Tow Dolly has surge brakes. They work well. Towed the Accord from coast to coast in 2017.

I have a rear view camera that is set up like a rear view mirror in our class C Jayco 31DS. It replaced the Ford rear view mirror which was worthless. Only showed me what was in the aisle of the motorhome. This gave me peace of mind that the car was still back there. I would not travel without it.

The only problem with the simulated rear view mirror is the camera lens is wide angle. This allows me to see the towed vehicle, but makes other cars look farther away than they really are.

2013 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2002 Honda Accord towed, ACME tow dolly
Northwest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:37 PM   #34

Yesterday was literally the very first time towing with our 2014 Seneca 37FS. I will be flat-towing a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4. I chose this vehicle specifically to flat tow behind the Seneca - Sold my ‘07 CLS63 AMG for this and other than that glorious 6.2L engine, I don’t miss a bit of it! Love the Jeep.

Chose the Jeep because 1. Room for our family of four, 2. Great daily driver and totally capable for “family friendly” off-roading 3. Super simple to flat tow with just a push of a button on the transmission. I went with the Blue Ox Alpha tow bar and the Demco Stay-In-Play Duo supplemental braking system and a battery maintainer charge system. I chose this for the ease of setup - Simply hook everything up, flip a switch in the Jeep, put it in freewheel mode and off you go.

Our last trip had me driving the Seneca to a spot at the San Diego Airport to pick up a rental, for DW to follow me to RV park and repeating the whole process at the end of the trip. It will be so much nicer to have our own vehicle ready to go within 10 minutes of arriving at a campsite. Looking forward to see how the Seneca likes the Jeep but for the short drive home, it was like nothing was behind me.

Aaron

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #35

Can’t figure out how to post a pic here, but I have the same Jeep Rubicon. A Gobi colored Recon. Love My Greyhawk can pull up to 7500 lbs. Great Coach and Jeep combo.
Skysoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:18 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have also been doing some research on my own for tow vehicles. One thing I have learned is that many old and new vehicles are not listed in the Dingy guides. I would see one model being towed then asked the owner why It was not listed and they told me many are not. You have to do more looking on your own.
One in particular I was interested in is the Kia Soul, manual tranny.

Just cause it's not in the dingy guide, it can still be towed.
Norty, One thing to know about the Kia Soul, is the 2020 models have a tad more power. The only complaint I have is with 3 people it does lag for power. Two people would be ok, but in all truthfullness, if your going to ride 4 people on a routine basis, I would consider it dangerously underpowered. For 2020 they put the 2 liter engine in it, instead of the 1.6 liter, but it does not really up the power that much cause they went back to port injection from GDI(Gas direct injection) There's just a little bit more torque. Don
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:55 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregowens1 View Post
We have a 2005 Jayco Seneca 35GS, we tow a 2018 Cherokee Latitude Plus with the Active Drive II. The Active Drive lets us put the automatic transmission into neutral with push of a button on the console. Mileage depending on terrain is between 6.9 and 8.3 at around 68 mph for the RV with the tow.
Looking at getting the same vehicle or the 2019 version. What’s been your experience with the using this vehicle as a toad? Any wobbling while driving? What is the ease or difficulty of hooking and unhooking the vehicle? And what type of towing system do you use, I’m looking at Blue Ox?
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:39 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I've not experienced it myself, but I'm aware of the issue.

It's because of the electric steering controls. I can't remember the specifics on the technical root cause of the issue. But from what I understand, Jeep moved away from that technology, so the issue is only present on a thin band of certain year models. For example, the issue may present on 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but not 2015. That's one of the reasons I insisted on a 2015 model when I bought mine.

Also from what I've read, that $1K dealer fix is accurate.
Last year wife and I were in Sarasota Fl on a RV trip and decided to look at Jeeps in a Jeep dealership. We were only interested in the Cherokee, (since my wife has driven our daughters and feels comfortable with it), we also inquired about the renegade. Head salesmen there was a great guy, wish I could remember his name but he’s an older gentleman, tall and light skinned with grey hair, he worked for Jeep over 30 years, was super nice, even after we told him we were just looking and were from out of town. I explained our toad situation etc.. and he was great! Explained in great detail that the renegade can not be flat towed but wish Jeep had put some forethought into its design because it would have been perfect for flat towing because of size and weight. Too bad!!. He also said he sells an abundance of vehicles with flat towing packages and even the new Cherokees needed the special harness and solenoid installation to activate steering controls. But I’ve heard some people did not do the harness and have not experienced the death wobble. We,I, decided to “Steer” clear of the Cherokee for this reason. To many variables with this concern for me. But all RV owners I stop and talk to with the Cherokee state they have added this harness. Also I’ve searched the internet and YouTubed a lot on this subject. I’ve seen the death wobble happen and also watched it happen on RV love’s channel when he lost the battery charging connection from rig to toad and killed toad battery causing the solenoid to be inactive, hence causing the death wobble!

That’s why We decided on a, very low mileage, 2014 CRV. It’s my comfort zone
Old 02-04-2020, 07:50 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Last year wife and I were in Sarasota Fl on a RV trip and decided to look at Jeeps in a Jeep dealership. We were only interested in the Cherokee, (since my wife has driven our daughters and feels comfortable with it), we also inquired about the renegade. Head salesmen there was a great guy, wish I could remember his name but he’s an older gentleman, tall and light skinned with grey hair, he worked for Jeep over 30 years, was super nice, even after we told him we were just looking and were from out of town. I explained our toad situation etc.. and he was great! Explained in great detail that the renegade can not be flat towed but wish Jeep had put some forethought into its design because it would have been perfect for flat towing because of size and weight. Too bad!!. He also said he sells an abundance of vehicles with flat towing packages and even the new Cherokees needed the special harness and solenoid installation to activate steering controls. But I’ve heard some people did not do the harness and have not experienced the death wobble. We,I, decided to “Steer” clear of the Cherokee for this reason. To many variables with this concern for me. But all RV owners I stop and talk to with the Cherokee state they have added this harness. Also I’ve searched the internet and YouTubed a lot on this subject. I’ve seen the death wobble happen and also watched it happen on RV love’s channel when he lost the battery charging connection from rig to toad and killed toad battery causing the solenoid to be inactive, hence causing the death wobble!

That’s why We decided on a, very low mileage, 2016 CRV. It’s my comfort zone
The Jeep Cherokee death wobble was corrected by Jeep and supposedly the harness etc... is no longer reqquired.

Honda CRV can no longer be flat towed. I thought the last year it could be flat towed was 2014. You may not be able to flat tow your low mileage 2016 CRV.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:09 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
The Jeep Cherokee death wobble was corrected by Jeep and supposedly the harness etc... is no longer reqquired.

Honda CRV can no longer be flat towed. I thought the last year it could be flat towed was 2014. You may not be able to flat tow your low mileage 2016 CRV.
Sorry, my CRV is a 2014, my correction was made but not updated. Thanks.

Tags
toad