Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #1

Toilet bowl not holding water

Anyone have suggestions for some kind of lube to put on the gasket at the bottom of the toilet bowl so it will hold the small amount of water between flushes and create a better air-tight seal?

Thanks,

Mike
classact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #2

I have no experience with this but I know some on the forum have said there was an issue with some of the tiolets, might check into it. Otherwise, if the unit is older, I believe the valve is replaceable, so rather than "lubing" it, the seal may just be old and need replaced.
Someone with some real knowledge will reply soon enough.
Jon Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #3

Park the RV at a level location. Turn off the water connection at the campsite. Turn off the internal water pump. Flush the toilet to remove any water from the system.

Use the adjustable wrench to loosen the water connection at the back of the toilet. Use the towel if any water leaked from this connection.

Use the adjustable wrench to loosen the nuts from the bolts that extend into the base of the toilet and hold it in place. Remove the nuts.

Lift up the toilet and place it on its side. Looking down on the bathroom floor, you will see a round flange. Inside this flange is a rubber seal. Lift up the rubber toilet seal with your hand and discard. If the rubber toilet seal is not in the flange, it will be stuck to the base of the toilet. Remove it in the same manner and discard it.

Take the new seal out of its package and place it on the top of the flange.

Place the toilet onto the bolts and tighten the nuts. Reconnect the water to the back of the toilet. Turn on the water to the RV and turn on the water pump. Flush the toilet and check for leaks. If there are leaks, retighten the nuts.

Read more: How to Replace an RV Toilet Seal | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5575855_repl...#ixzz12Gyxrb00
Old 10-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to WPnorton
The above fix is for this problem..."Occasionally, however, an RV owner will notice the toilet has a leak near the floor where the toilet outlet extends to the holding tank."

I think the problem here was that the toilet bowl will no longer hold water. IMO, The bowl seal has dried out and needs replacing. Go to your owners manual and order a new seal. If no longer available, order a new toilet.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #5

Hammer, that was a great post you submitted, very clear and even a dummy like me could follow those directions. I thank you.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaguy View Post
Hammer, that was a great post you submitted, very clear and even a dummy like me could follow those directions. I thank you.
Hi Albertaguy, I guess you were referring to my post I didn't see one from Hammer, maybe I should change my handle. Anyway thanks.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdown View Post
Hi Albertaguy, I guess you were referring to my post I didn't see one from Hammer, maybe I should change my handle. Anyway thanks.
Yup, that was you.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPnorton View Post
The above fix is for this problem..."Occasionally, however, an RV owner will notice the toilet has a leak near the floor where the toilet outlet extends to the holding tank."

I think the problem here was that the toilet bowl will no longer hold water. IMO, The bowl seal has dried out and needs replacing. Go to your owners manual and order a new seal. If no longer available, order a new toilet.
I agree with you on this one. It looks like he is referring to the seal on the blade at the bottom of the bowl and not the seal between the toilet and the tank. In my previous RV, the toilet was a porcelain one with a shuttle valve that looked like a half ball that flipped over against the seal at the bottom of the bowl. I had a new seal replaced under warranty but it would still leak the water out every now and then. There was a little plastic thing that looked like a tongue depressor that was included with the toilet literature that had a rough texture about like the hook of Velcro on one end. You would take this and close the shuttle valve on it and scrape it around the seal to remove the material that was preventing the seal from sealing properly. Liked the toilet for being porcelain but hated that valve since it was always needing cleaned.

The Jayco has the plastic toilet with the knife valve that seals a lot better in my opinion. If you need to replace the seal between the toilet and the tank, the instructions provided by hammerdown were quite clear and concise.
rbrumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #9

Thanks for all the comments, folks! Rbrumfield is correct - I was referring to water leaking at the seal at the bottom of the bowl. Even though it's an '07 model, the previous owner probably let that seal dry out in the Florida heat and now it's not making a good seal. I did try putting some vaseline on it after cleaning it thoroughly and now that we've been using it for about a week, it seems to be holding water better, but not 100% yet. Like a previous poster - we like the porcelain toilet, but the valve on our old poly one on a previous model actually performed better.

-Mike
classact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #10

Howdy guys. I just read this thread. I had posted on the Fifthwheel forum about my toilet. I was thinking of changing to a china one, but your comments on the valve mechanism has me leaning towards another plastic one. Thanks for your input.

Whenever I have had trouble with my knife/blade valve leaking, I was able to run water in the bowl and excericse the valve numerous times. This cause whatever was sticking in the valve to be removed and the seal was good again.
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #11

Vaseline will work as it should not deteriorate the seal. A new seal is the best way to go.
daviddudek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #12

When you let your RV sit for awhile, put a little baby oil in the bowl to keep the top seal lubricated and it won't dry out. Baby oil will not harm anything.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote