Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2021, 12:01 PM   #1

Torque settings for koni shocks

I have looked everywhere and I am coming up with conflicting torque settings for upper and lower bolts on new koni shocks for my Redhawk 29xk. Anybody happen to know these settings?
Raines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #2

Perhaps someone will have the recommended ford specifications for the torque, however I have changed many shocks and really never used a torque wrench as the exact torque isn't really critical in this usage because the bolt are not actually clamping anything down like as a wheel or engine components.

What I would suggest is to torque the lower bolts to around 60~65 ft lbs, perhaps a drop of blue loctite if you have any, remember the lower bolts act more like pins than clamps so again the torque is not critical other than not having it too loose where the nuts falls off the bolt with usage. For the top studs with nuts, not sure if you can even get a torque wrench up there, but if you can I would suspect around 45 ft lbs. What is important is to watch the shock bushings as if you go too tight the rubber bushings will mushroom out and fail way before the shock wears out, you want to tighten the nut to the point the rubber bushing has expanded to about the same as the washer size, no more and no less, which I am simply guesstimating to be around ~45 ft lbs, however different bushings could expand to the correct amount with more or less torque than what I suggested as watching the bushing expansion is more important than the specific torque value. The bottom bushings have a sleeve so you can't really overtighten them from the bushing aspects.

Again, just sharing my thoughts, I did a quick internet check and couldn't find the Ford specifications for the shock bolt torque, perhaps someone else has it or can look it up, my thoughts were more about not being overly concerned with the exact torque lbs if you needed to move forward today and didn't have any exact specification information. Good Luck, ~CA
Old 06-27-2021, 12:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Perhaps someone will have the recommended ford specifications for the torque, however I have changed many shocks and really never used a torque wrench as the exact torque isn't really critical in this usage because the bolt are not actually clamping anything down like as a wheel or engine components.
X-2 My mechs never did in the shop either.

Tighten until the bushing starts to compress was always the rule of thumb.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post

What I would suggest is to torque the lower bolts to around 60~65 ft lbs, perhaps a drop of blue loctite if you have any, remember the lower bolts act more like pins than clamps so again the torque is not critical other than not having it too loose where the nuts falls off the bolt with usage. For the top studs with nuts, not sure if you can even get a torque wrench up there, but if you can I would suspect around 45 ft lbs. What is important is to watch the shock bushings as if you go too tight the rubber bushings will mushroom out and fail way before the shock wears out, you want to tighten the nut to the point the rubber bushing has expanded to about the same as the washer size, no more and no less, which I am simply guesstimating to be around ~45 ft lbs, however different bushings could expand to the correct amount with more or less torque than what I suggested as watching the bushing expansion is more important than the specific torque value. The bottom bushings have a sleeve so you can't really overtighten them from the bushing aspects.

Again, just sharing my thoughts, I did a quick internet check and couldn't find the Ford specifications for the shock bolt torque, perhaps someone else has it or can look it up, my thoughts were more about not being overly concerned with the exact torque lbs if you needed to move forward today and didn't have any exact specification information. Good Luck, ~CA
Thank you. I followed your advice and have got the rear ones installed and the front passenger side is installed, front driver side is a bear but I am about half way of getting that damn top nut off but I ran out of energy and my wrench keeps popping off the top nut while I use a wrench to turn the nut above the shock body. Frustrating to say the least as there is no room. Thanks again for the advice. I will try to finish that drivers side tomorrow
Old 06-27-2021, 07:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raines View Post
Thank you. I followed your advice and have got the rear ones installed and the front passenger side is installed, front driver side is a bear but I am about half way of getting that damn top nut off but I ran out of energy and my wrench keeps popping off the top nut while I use a wrench to turn the nut above the shock body. Frustrating to say the least as there is no room. Thanks again for the advice. I will try to finish that drivers side tomorrow

Good deal, if I remember correctly there is (may be) a rubber plug on the drivers side floorboard once you pull back the carpet directly above the shock where you can put a deep socket and extension down the floorboard hole to get to the shock's top nut. Follow the hood latch cable to where the hood latch (and\or parking brake) cable goes through the floorboard to find it (may be the same plug as the cable or close to it). If you go that route you may need a helper, one person to hold the shock from the outside and the other person to turn the ratchet. ~CA
Old 06-27-2021, 07:35 PM   #6

Oooh, yeah I will look for that tomorrow. That would be very nice if it's there. Thanks again.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:50 PM   #7

This video may help you: https://youtu.be/Y5HAeFJX-Co
kyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuan View Post
This video may help you: https://youtu.be/Y5HAeFJX-Co
Oh sweet! That is so funny. I literally just saw that tool last week at harbor freight and thought no way that thing worked for anything, lol