Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2019, 04:54 PM   #21

I just installed the hellwig bar. No issues. The front bolts had blue loctite on them. Took my impact some time to get them out for the front bolt. Rear was super easy. When putting them back in I just ran them in with the impact. Easy peasy. Probably over tight.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
So you're saying the bolts that go through the U-Plates take less torque then the ones that go through the ends of each bar? I would have thought it the other way.

Just out of interest how did you find this out? It's useful to find this type of info from time to time.
Anytime you are using ubolts they will bend the plate if over torqued and that misaligned the stabilizer piston causing uneven wear on the bishings. There is a YouTube video where the mfg says 20 ft lbs and goes on to say that if you bent the plate they will send you another one.
Tblount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:50 PM   #23

How I fixed the rear stripped bolt

Here's a video on how I fixed the front sway bar rear bolts of the E-450 frame just in case someone would like some more information.

https://youtu.be/Y8CbNioawt0
Johnnyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyrt View Post
Here's a video on how I fixed the front sway bar rear bolts of the E-450 frame just in case someone would like some more information.

https://youtu.be/Y8CbNioawt0
That's pretty slick.

I just used a Riv-Nut. It's held so far after a few thousand miles of being beat to death on our wonderful, oil-field ruined, Texas roads.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:38 AM   #25

I found this on RV.net and used these settings recently:

Here are the numbers I got at the dealer:
Front bolts 111#
Smaller back bolts 18#
Side links bolts #57

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
Watch out for the two different bolt sizes on the front sway bar mount. The smaller bolt is easy to strip. I speak from experience.
I'll second that one. Be sure to stay with Ford's torque specs when it comes to the smaller bolt on the sway bar mount (don't second guess it), or you will be drilling and retaping the hole for an oversized bolt!!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:59 PM   #27

Torque values for front sway bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Found the following question and answer, hope it helps

Question I just purchased a set of sway bars for my Ford E450. They are made by Hellwig (7180 rear sway bar, and 7718 front sway bar).

Answer 75-80 ft.lbs on the sway bar end link bolts
25-30 ft.lbs on the bushing clamps to frame\axle mount
These are FoMoCo specs.....Don't see any reason aftermarket would deviate from factory specs. Remember to use anti-seize on threads if you have it handy

The torque values that were quoted didn't make sense. For the sway bar links we put a wrench on the nut and made it as tight as possible. There are two different size bolts where the bushings get attached. The number 18 bolt we did 70 ft lbs. On the smaller 15mm bolt we did 40 ft lbs. Unless you have a jack to assist, this job requires two guys to hold everything in place. Before loosening the # 18 bolts, spray PB blaster onto the threads through a hole in the chassis. The blue locktight made it almost impossible to unloosen those bolts. We were very concerned about snapping the bolt. End result: the road imperfections that were causing a jerk to the left and right in the steering wheel are just about all gone. After our maiden voyage this weekend, I wish the steering was easier like in a car or my Ridgeline pick up. Takes a considerable amount of work while riding down the highway.
artie p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e450, sway bar, torque