Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2018, 01:23 PM   #1

Torque Specs - E450 Sway Bar Install

Does anybody have the torque specs for a newer E450 w/ regards to the front and rear sway bars?

Hellwig has simple bolt on instructions but the sheets refer to 'Ford Specs' as far as torquing the bolts back down. Not very helpful - reaching out directly to Hellwig resulted in response advising I contact Ford. I'm sure Ford isn't going to touch a aftermarket part install w/ a 10' pole ....

So has anybody replaced the front and rear bars w/ a Hellwig product?

Roadmaster has torque specs on their product, but I can't be positive the bolts are the same. The Roadmaster also costs significantly more then Hellwig and requires I drill for the rear sway hangar bar install. I don't want to drill anything.

Anybody have the torque specs?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:00 PM   #2

Found the following question and answer, hope it helps

Question I just purchased a set of sway bars for my Ford E450. They are made by Hellwig (7180 rear sway bar, and 7718 front sway bar).

Answer 75-80 ft.lbs on the sway bar end link bolts
25-30 ft.lbs on the bushing clamps to frame\axle mount
These are FoMoCo specs.....Don't see any reason aftermarket would deviate from factory specs. Remember to use anti-seize on threads if you have it handy
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:52 PM   #3

Sweet thank you !

Old 10-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Found the following question and answer, hope it helps

Question I just purchased a set of sway bars for my Ford E450. They are made by Hellwig (7180 rear sway bar, and 7718 front sway bar).

Answer 75-80 ft.lbs on the sway bar end link bolts
25-30 ft.lbs on the bushing clamps to frame\axle mount
These are FoMoCo specs.....Don't see any reason aftermarket would deviate from factory specs. Remember to use anti-seize on threads if you have it handy
I had asked this previously for my Sunseeker and ended up having a mechanic do the install for me. This time around if I do this, its only the front bar (and the front bar is easier).

So for this front install I have the bolts that go into the U-Plates on each side of the bar's hump, and the bolts that go thru the end links. So you're saying the bolts that go through the U-Plates take less torque then the ones that go through the ends of each bar? I would have thought it the other way.

Just out of interest how did you find this out? It's useful to find this type of info from time to time.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:35 AM   #5

Watch out for the two different bolt sizes on the front sway bar mount. The smaller bolt is easy to strip. I speak from experience.
Attached Thumbnails
HelwigBolt.JPG  
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:08 PM   #6

Right - so I don't understand how there is only 2 torque specs per the above posts. We have 3 different bolt sizes ...

Old 10-09-2018, 11:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
Watch out for the two different bolt sizes on the front sway bar mount. The smaller bolt is easy to strip. I speak from experience.
Bullitt6283- I may have just done the same thing with that smaller bolt. Did you just replace the bolt, or did you have to re-tap the hole as well?
Mike_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
Bullitt6283- I may have just done the same thing with that smaller bolt. Did you just replace the bolt, or did you have to re-tap the hole as well?
I ended up drilling out the damaged threaded hole just a little, and fish-wired a longer bolt of the same diameter through the hole from inside the frame.

There was another hole in the frame nearby just large enough to pass the longer bolt through to inside the frame.

Another way to get a bolt inside the frame would have been to remove the front bumper. You can access the inside of the frame.

Ron.
2000 Jeep Sahara

Old 10-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #9

Awesome, thanks for the quick response. I'm not sure it's actually stripped since it's still tightly secured but it was likely over torqued so I'll try replacing the original bolt it as a first step. Do you happen to know what the torque specs were supposed to be for these bolts? The 25-30 listed earlier in this thread seems quite low since these are the brackets to the frame and not the bushings themselves.
Mike_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
Awesome, thanks for the quick response. I'm not sure it's actually stripped since it's still tightly secured but it was likely over torqued so I'll try replacing the original bolt it as a first step. Do you happen to know what the torque specs were supposed to be for these bolts? The 25-30 listed earlier in this thread seems quite low since these are the brackets to the frame and not the bushings themselves.
If you try to re-make the bolting, be careful! The nuts in the frame seem to be the weak link. I stripped the nut and the bolt didn't look damaged at all. Sorry I don't have the torque info anymore.

.Ron
2000 Jeep Sahara

Old 10-09-2018, 01:38 PM   #11

Having just returned from my maiden trip in my Greyhawk 26Y, I'm not sure how much value-add putting the upgraded front bar on will gain me. I'm quite happy w/ the way she handles. Granted she's shorter and most likely lighter then my fellow Greyhawk brethren ...

Old 08-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #12

So once you ran the bolt through the frame you just put a nut on the bottom then? I think I just screwed mine up too
gwbillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbillett View Post
So once you ran the bolt through the frame you just put a nut on the bottom then? I think I just screwed mine up too
Yes. I fished an extra long bolt down through the hole so I could grip it while I tightened the nut.
2000 Jeep Sahara

Old 08-25-2019, 08:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Yes. I fished an extra long bolt down through the hole so I could grip it while I tightened the nut.
Yeah, I think I’m gonna have to do this too. I put lock tight on it but it doesn’t get super tight so I’m think it might be stripped. I need socket to tighten so not loose enough to spin by hand. I’m wondering if I drive a little bigger bolt up into it if that would work or not?
Old 08-25-2019, 08:13 PM   #15

Quote:
If you try to re-make the bolting, be careful! The nuts in the frame seem to be the weak link. I stripped the nut and the bolt didn't look damaged at all. Sorry I don't have the torque info anymore.

.Ron
I totally concur. I stripped mine and the bolt was perfect. I drilled out the hole and re-tapped it to a 14mm bolt, as I recall. I was amazed that the steel was so soft from the factory and so easy to strip out.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:30 PM   #16

Well a trip to Lowe’s and 30 minutes of work and a new bolt fished through a new hole drilled with a flat washer, lock washer and a nylon nut and problem solved. Actually a little easier than I thought to fish the new bolt through.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Does anybody have the torque specs for a newer E450 w/ regards to the front and rear sway bars?

Hellwig has simple bolt on instructions but the sheets refer to 'Ford Specs' as far as torquing the bolts back down. Not very helpful - reaching out directly to Hellwig resulted in response advising I contact Ford. I'm sure Ford isn't going to touch a aftermarket part install w/ a 10' pole ....

So has anybody replaced the front and rear bars w/ a Hellwig product?

Roadmaster has torque specs on their product, but I can't be positive the bolts are the same. The Roadmaster also costs significantly more then Hellwig and requires I drill for the rear sway hangar bar install. I don't want to drill anything.

Anybody have the torque specs?

I installed the Hellwig sway bars on my Greyhawk 29 MV. First Hellwig will not give you torque specs for their bar and here is why. if you try to torque them down to anywhere near the Ford recommended torque, you will strip the bolts and Hellwig knows this, but will not acknowledge it. Mine stripped with almost no tightening on the bolts. 3 calls to Hellwig and they play dumb. "We haven't heard anything about this" I told them BS on that, just check any of the forums for Class c motor homes and you can find numerous examples of stripped bolts. They claim they have no fix, but they might figure something out and let me know. After 3 calls over a month; crickets. I told them this condition is unsafe and could result in suspension failure. still no response. Looks like i will have to drill the frame and bar to get a bigger bolt in there. Protect yourself and your family and go with the Road Master bar.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:34 PM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
Looks like i will have to drill the frame and bar to get a bigger bolt in there. Protect yourself and your family and go with the Road Master bar.
What's the difference between the Hellwig and Roadmaster? Don't they bolt into the same place on the frame, where the stock sway bar came off?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:15 PM   #19

different mounting bolts
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:30 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
different mounting bolts
What does that mean?

Do they thread into the same pre-tapped, rear holes in the frame that the old ones came out of, or someplace else?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e450, sway bar, torque