Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #1

Tow bar and braking system

So now that I have the Seneca on order I am working on getting the Jeep Wrangler set up for towing. I am getting prices anywhere from $2,000 from E-trailer just for parts to $3,400+ for an installed system. This is much more than I expected.

I would appreciate suggestions on what to use and what prices would be reasonable.

Thanks
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:51 PM   #2

When you figure, base plate, quality tow-bar and braking those numbers are pretty close.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #3

Checkout this recent discussion regarding towing a Wrangler;

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...35s-40212.html
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:06 PM   #4

If you want all new stuff, that's about right. I settled for used, and turns out my tow bar and my aux braking system both were used very seldom. I got a bit lucky, but my whole setup was about $600. You have time on your side if you want to do that and shop around on Craigslist or Ebay. Sometimes, you can find a setup someone bought, used just a few times, and set on a shelf for a couple years. That's what I ended up with.

I ended up with a Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain tow bar, Roadmaster Tow Defender mesh setup to keep rocks off the front of the Jeep, and a Roadmaster Even Brake auxiliary braking system. I had to buy a few materials like wire and connectors, etc. Oh, and I had to buy a wire harness from etrailer for the Jeep so the brake lights would obey the motorhome instead of the brake pedal. I also wired a custom charging circuit for the battery, from the 7 pin connector of the motorhome.

I got off pretty cheap, considering nothing had been used more than half a dozen times. I do need a new umbilical coiled electrical cable between the motorhome and the Jeep. And I was having a custom front bumper made for the Jeep anyway, so I had them build tow bar mounts at the same time. Tow bar mounts directly to the bumper, and I don't need a mounting plate.

System works great, but you have to be willing to put in the work. That's what they are charging you for.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:14 PM   #5

I have been a satisfied Roadmaster user for years. I have installed their baseplates on my various cars, once your spouse gets over you tearing a brand new car apart it isn't so bad! I have found their installation instructions to be very thorough and accurate.

I also have a Falcon All-Terrain bar and the Roadmaster Even Brake auxiliary braking system. There are vehicle-mounted electronics that you install in the vehicle to connect the Even Brake, but it really wasn't too difficult either. I like the Even Brake since it is portable and I can put it into whichever toad I need to use depending on my passenger count.

What I did have to do on both of my current toads was to install a dedicated 12-volt accessory plug to plug in the Even Brake. In both my Fords the outlets shut off after a time when the engine is off. Depending on your particular vehicle you may be able to use the original 12-volt plugs if it stays "hot" continuously. I also installed a charge line from the Seneca to keep the toad's battery charged while driving.

I also did my own tail/brake light wiring, running the wires through the interior was usually harder than installing the baseplates! In my (current) Focus I installed separate bulbs in unused light sockets; in my Explorer I used a diode setup and the original Ford lights. Both work great.

You are correct that this isn't cheap, but for me at least the towbar and the Even Brake were an investment I have been able to reuse as I upgraded my toads. Of course the baseplates are often an expense you just have to "eat".
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I have been a satisfied Roadmaster user for years. I have installed their baseplates on my various cars, once your spouse gets over you tearing a brand new car apart it isn't so bad! I have found their installation instructions to be very thorough and accurate.

I also have a Falcon All-Terrain bar and the Roadmaster Even Brake auxiliary braking system. There are vehicle-mounted electronics that you install in the vehicle to connect the Even Brake, but it really wasn't too difficult either. I like the Even Brake since it is portable and I can put it into whichever toad I need to use depending on my passenger count.

What I did have to do on both of my current toads was to install a dedicated 12-volt accessory plug to plug in the Even Brake. In both my Fords the outlets shut off after a time when the engine is off. Depending on your particular vehicle you may be able to use the original 12-volt plugs if it stays "hot" continuously. I also installed a charge line from the Seneca to keep the toad's battery charged while driving.

I also did my own tail/brake light wiring, running the wires through the interior was usually harder than installing the baseplates! In my (current) Focus I installed separate bulbs in unused light sockets; in my Explorer I used a diode setup and the original Ford lights. Both work great.

You are correct that this isn't cheap, but for me at least the towbar and the Even Brake were an investment I have been able to reuse as I upgraded my toads. Of course the baseplates are often an expense you just have to "eat".
Yep. My buddy recommended Roadmaster, as he has the higher rated all terrain towbar they call the Blackhawk. And he has an older version of the Even Brake system. Glad I went that route, but I know Blue Ox has a nice setup also, with a lot of options. Same for some others that some folks may chime in on here. I like the brake systems with a compressor on board, as they require less modification of the toad to install them. They just eat the battery. In my Jeep (2006 LJ Rubicon), they have two 12v outlets. One is switched with the ignition key, and the other is on full-time. This works well with a charging circuit. Even with a really good battery, it can wear down on a long trip. I just don't want to spend my evenings hooking up a batter charger every night. So, I felt it was worth the effort. I just check it each time I hook up to leave home, as the fuse could blow any time and stop the charging system from working.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:23 PM   #7

We used the heavy duty 360 degree aventa LX 10k blue ox bar with the rvi break 2 system and it kept our toad upright and drivable with only cosmetic damage to hood and grill after we were pushed over on our side. The tow bar looks as if nothing happened to it but for safety reasons we will be replacing it with a new one.
Colombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #8

2014 Seneca 37FS with a Ready Brake Elite Towbar to a 2015 Jeep Wrangle with a Blue OX plate. I did the plate installation my self, saved a few $$. (I would not do it myself to my Explorer, will get professional help for that one. Too much trim panel.)

My friend and I both use the Ready Brake Elite bar. Works great.
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:12 AM   #9

Baseplate, towbar, and all the necessary auxiliary equipment cost me $2566 installed. Equipment listed in my signature.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #10

I use the Blue Ox setup for my Jeep and Kia toads. I've had the Blue Ox system since 2011 and have recently sent it in for refurb. Because I have a choice as to what to tow I use a removable braking system. For that I have an RViBrake. It's the original version, circa 2011. The pump leaked and I sent it in for refurb. RViBrake refurb was $250. Don't remember what BlueOX charged but it was also reasonable for getting to like new condition.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:39 PM   #11

I tow mine with BlueOx bar and hitch setup. With Patriot braking system and we love it. Not a Seneca but towing is the same idea. Ours was around that $2500 mark as well. I wanted them to install. But I watched. Trimming the jeep is so little. And it is very secure we saw. Loved it in the first trip of 3600 miles.

2014 Jayco Redhawk 31XL
Towing 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Old 02-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #12

I am now reading about the RVI Brake 3. Sounds easy to set up, easy to move to other vehicles and I can install myself. Anybody haven thoughts on this unit?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I am now reading about the RVI Brake 3. Sounds easy to set up, easy to move to other vehicles and I can install myself. Anybody haven thoughts on this unit?
We have the RVI 2 and REALLY like it. The size is much better than the competitors and reacts a lot faster. I also like that I can adjust the "gain" going down the road and can see what it's doing.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
So now that I have the Seneca on order I am working on getting the Jeep Wrangler set up for towing. I am getting prices anywhere from $2,000 from E-trailer just for parts to $3,400+ for an installed system. This is much more than I expected.

I would appreciate suggestions on what to use and what prices would be reasonable.

Thanks
I just had my NSA Rv Products "Ready Brutt Elite" and Blue Ox base plate installed today. Install was $517 dollars. I looked up parts I needed which came out to $1800 and change of which I ordered myself thru Amazon. So yup, $2300 - 2500 depending who you take it to.

BTW, DW would not let me do it.....

S/
Rick

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote