Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #1

Tow Dolly?

Complete newbe here.

Looking forward to a couple of years when wife retires to hit the road.
Right now it looks like our best choice will be a Class C. Probably on a Ford 350 or 450 platform. Would love the Mercedes platform but I think we will need more room than what is typically found with the MB. PLUS we love the mountains and to have a engine brake and the ability to tow a car behind us.

Question (finally)

Instead of going through all the work and expense of making our 2007 Toyota Highlander Base 4cyl 3,750 lbs. a toad or having to buy a dedicated toad I am thinking a dolly behind the Class C for a Highlander looks like a much more economical, easier solution.

Also after looking at Dollys the better ones have lights on them, do you still have to use a light bar on the rear of the Dollied vehicle?
Thanks in advance!
Ya'll are great!!!!
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #2

Although it may be more visible and safer in the long run we did not need to use a light bar with our tow dolly which was equipped with its own lights.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:32 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I have run a dolly but never liked them and are also hard on tires. I'm sure you will experience the same. In the long run you are better to invest in the straight pull. or a trailer to put a vehicle on. But that is also time consuming with loading.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
Complete newbe here.

Looking forward to a couple of years when wife retires to hit the road.

Right now it looks like our best choice will be a Class C. Probably on a Ford 350 or 450 platform. Would love the Mercedes platform but I think we will need more room than what is typically found with the MB. PLUS we love the mountains and to have a engine brake and the ability to tow a car behind us.

Question (finally)

Instead of going through all the work and expense of making our 2007 Toyota Highlander Base 4cyl 3,750 lbs. a toad or having to buy a dedicated toad I am thinking a dolly behind the Class C for a Highlander looks like a much more economical, easier solution.

Also after looking at Dollys the better ones have lights on them, do you still have to use a light bar on the rear of the Dollied vehicle?

Thanks in advance!

Ya'll are great!!!!

I would say that legally and for safety, yes, but check with State laws and you will find out first hand.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #5

You are not required to put lights on the back of the car in many states but I put them on the back just to make the car more visible. Also you need to be sure that the car doesn’t require flat towing or a car trailer. For instance my Jeep is flat towable but is not dolly towable. Somewhere on here there there is a link to the dolly and flat towable cars.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:42 PM   #6

Not sure if yours is different than mine (2012), but my Highlander cannot be towed and must be on a trailer.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #7

We flat tow a Chevy Equinox behind our Class C. I did a ton of research prior to making a decision on which way to go...flat tow, dolly or trailer. I think your decision hinges on how you are going to spend your time on the road. As an example, we drive to a campground, unhook the Equinox, and use it for our daily transportation. Then when we're ready to depart, we connect the umbilical, the arms, and the brake in the car, and off we go.

Except for the time going from Point A to Point B, we normally spend less than a week at a CG, so if you dolly or trailer your car, what do you do with that extra equipment while at the CG? If your site is on the smaller size, does the CG have room to store the dolly or trailer for you? Do they charge for that service?

One post I read on this site several weeks ago about the same issue mentioned that when putting your toad back on the dolly, that you must lie on the ground to strap the wheels to the dolly. What if it was raining and the ground is wet and muddy? I have never used a dolly, so I can't verify the process used to secure a car to a dolly, so that's something you'll need to figure out.

I have a car trailer that I use to haul an antique vehicle to car shows. I know the process necessary to get the car into the trailer and strap it down, but again, what do you do with the trailer at a CG? If you are staying for a long period of time it may be different, but for short-term stays you have an additional piece of equipment to deal with.

Again, I may be a little biased toward the flat towing, but I'm sure those who use dollies and trailers can chime in and tout all the reasons for going their way. We had two cars when we bought our Class C, neither of which could be flat towed, so we ended up selling one and purchasing the Equinox specifically for flat towing. An extra cost...yes, but we're happy with the decision we made.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:37 PM   #8

Our Jayco Class C Melbourne Mercedes Sprinter is perfect for the two of us. We also tow a Jeep Wrangler two-door, and the RV pulls it easily. Towing cuts about 1.5 mpg.
While I agree our Melbourne would be too small for three or more people, we love it for two...........
We have the model that is no longer made, with the Murphy bed. There is one slideout. The use of interior space is very efficient...................
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:08 AM   #9

I used a small trailer to haul our motorcycles behind...but what a pain to unhook and then find a place to park it in our camp spot where it wasn't in the way. Many RV parks won't let you park a trailer at a camp spot but have areas designated for that.

Not sure about tow dollies but after dealing with that trailer I would never own one because of all the hassles.

I don't see many tow dollies being used anymore. That speaks for itself.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Not sure if yours is different than mine (2012), but my Highlander cannot be towed and must be on a trailer.
Hi, is your Highlander all wheel drive? Ours is front drive only.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdktm View Post
Our Jayco Class C Melbourne Mercedes Sprinter is perfect for the two of us. We also tow a Jeep Wrangler two-door, and the RV pulls it easily. Towing cuts about 1.5 mpg.
While I agree our Melbourne would be too small for three or more people, we love it for two...........
We have the model that is no longer made, with the Murphy bed. There is one slideout. The use of interior space is very efficient...................
Hi, it will be just the two of us and a Golden Retriever. On occasion we would have one or two Grandkids with us. The oldest right now is 6 years old and he will be the 1st to get to go with Grandma and Grandad.
You just put the Mercedes back in the running
Old 07-17-2018, 04:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
I used a small trailer to haul our motorcycles behind...but what a pain to unhook and then find a place to park it in our camp spot where it wasn't in the way. Many RV parks won't let you park a trailer at a camp spot but have areas designated for that.

Not sure about tow dollies but after dealing with that trailer I would never own one because of all the hassles.

I don't see many tow dollies being used anymore. That speaks for itself.
Been looking at the Demco KarKaddy. It actually folds in 1/2 for storage at home or to conserve space at the CG. The jack on the dolly is on wheels and is easy to wheel around by one person.
As far as hooking/unhooking any trailer or dolly..........just not a big deal to me. Before going Law Enforcement I drove semi's, LTL, line haul, city, OTR for 20 years.
https://www.demco-products.com/rv-to...s/kar-kaddy-ss
Old 07-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #13

I use a tow dolly no problem takes me only a few minutes to hook up have lights wired to rear tail lights on toad. In campgrounds I usually put the tow dolly in the site first sometimes I can roll it by hand others I hook it to hitch on toad and back it in then back the RV in and the back of RV goes over top of dolly when backed in. I only got stuck once in a gas station.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Been looking at the Demco KarKaddy. It actually folds in 1/2 for storage at home or to conserve space at the CG. The jack on the dolly is on wheels and is easy to wheel around by one person.
As far as hooking/unhooking any trailer or dolly..........just not a big deal to me. Before going Law Enforcement I drove semi's, LTL, line haul, city, OTR for 20 years.
https://www.demco-products.com/rv-to...s/kar-kaddy-ss
Demco makes a nice dolly. Expensive but nice.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Demco makes a nice dolly. Expensive but nice.
Isn't that the truth? One thing I have learned about RV's so far that you better have deep pockets to get set-up when buying new.
I think the Dolly might be something that might be found used? If I see one I might grab it before even getting the Coach if in good condition and reasonable priced. I would also want to put on a good pair of tires on the dolly like Goodyear Endurance.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Mine is a base model 2007 Highlander 4cyl, auto trans, front wheel drive only. According to Toyota it can be towed on a Dolly.
Not so lucky with my Tundra...........it would have to be a "trailer queen"

Toyota Tow Chart:
https://www.toyotaoflancasterav.com/...wing-guide.htm
Old 07-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #17

Question,
I see where Demco's dollys swivel and turn when the towing vehicle turns. Other brands do not. Is there a advantage to the pivoting dolly vs the rigid dolly? The Demco does seem to have a hefty price compared to others. The "Eze Tow" looks likes a good unit for considerably less than the Demco.............but it does not appear to turn like the Demco
Old 07-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #18

I don’t know this for a fact, but I have heard of people damaging their towed car in a turn because the trailer did not pivot. It was for that reason I bought a Kar Kaddy. More expensive but hopefully worth it. We just got back from a 2300 mile trip and it did great. You just have to remember that you cannot back up with it.
chfraser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Question,
I see where Demco's dollys swivel and turn when the towing vehicle turns. Other brands do not. Is there a advantage to the pivoting dolly vs the rigid dolly? The Demco does seem to have a hefty price compared to others. The "Eze Tow" looks likes a good unit for considerably less than the Demco.............but it does not appear to turn like the Demco
With the Demco you have to lock the steering somehow...with the others that don't pivot you must leave the steering unlocked. That's all I really know about them. And that they are expensive!
Old 07-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #20

2006 Senaca 35GS with Demco towing a 2012 Highlander. Toyota on the steerable Demco follows the motor home almost to well, It follows in the motor home tracks without cutting across corners like a trailer. Found Demco used with less than 75 miles on it for 1500.00
plumberdude is offline   Reply With Quote