Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2022, 10:49 AM   #1
MDR

Tow haul mode

I have a 2022 Greyhawk 27U u .any suggestions on when and how to use the tow haul mode . We are not towing a toad. Thanks
MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 11:14 AM   #2
CAG

Tow/Haul changes shift points and while it is not necessary, I have found it useful in towing, or not towing. Coming down long steep grades (yes we have a number of those in Arizona) I set the cruise to 50-55, in tow/haul. The vehicle will then maintain a speed around the set speed and the tow/haul, cruise will shift down as necessary to keep you at that speed. It tends to wander up about 5 mph from the set speed so I set it a bit lower to stay in a safe zone. It does not hurt anything and it will not allow the vehicle to over-rev.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 11:22 AM   #3
MDR

Tow haul

That’s great info thanks so much
MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 11:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Tow/Haul changes shift points and while it is not necessary, I have found it useful in towing, or not towing. Coming down long steep grades (yes we have a number of those in Arizona) I set the cruise to 50-55, in tow/haul. The vehicle will then maintain a speed around the set speed and the tow/haul, cruise will shift down as necessary to keep you at that speed. It tends to wander up about 5 mph from the set speed so I set it a bit lower to stay in a safe zone. It does not hurt anything and it will not allow the vehicle to over-rev.
x2. Just changes shift points so depending on driving conditions it may help. Uphill, driving in wind or perhaps a specific speed you want the change in RPM/gear change may keep it from gear searching trying to keep a speed in cruise. Steep downhill grades I the use engine breaking early to prevent speed going to high so when the shift change occurs its not a large change in RPM and just constant engine breaking all the way down.

Towing or not towing, it ends up just like CAG mentions; changing shift points in RPM to get the engine to work more in your favor for certain conditions.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:36 AM   #5

I figure my rig is near it's max GVWR all the time, so I use tow/haul mode all the time. Very helpful for engine braking on downhills.
Old 02-18-2022, 07:11 AM   #6

I tow all the time and never use it. I use the cruise all the time unless I am in rolling hills or in the mountains. It changes the shift points and I do not like the change in shift points. Use it if the shift point changes fit your driving style but it is not required. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 08:59 AM   #7

T/H - all the time when towing our 5er anywhere but virtually dead flat roads. Same thing with cruise control. Same with cruise control. I prefer to know when the transmission shifts. Also, with a truck, you can also manually shift via a rocker switch, a feature that Ford didn't include with the van based transmissions unless they have added it in the last year or so

2011 F250 CCLB, 6.7 w/Puck System plus Slide in camper option,

2014 Montana 343RL (Just sold it)
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 12:44 PM   #8

In most new vehicles, Tow/Haul doesn't just change shift points. It basically changes the entire engine/drivetrain management system to optimize power over fuel economy. It may also introduce other systems like grade braking, exhaust braking, etc.

I try to use T/H whenever I am towing, seems to keep the engine in the power band. I have also found that it works well when I am in heavy traffic. T/H makes my truck more responsive to throttle inputs, helping to maneuver in & out of situations easily & with less drama.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 01:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmom View Post
In most new vehicles, Tow/Haul doesn't just change shift points. It basically changes the entire engine/drivetrain management system to optimize power over fuel economy. It may also introduce other systems like grade braking, exhaust braking, etc.

I try to use T/H whenever I am towing, seems to keep the engine in the power band. I have also found that it works well when I am in heavy traffic. T/H makes my truck more responsive to throttle inputs, helping to maneuver in & out of situations easily & with less drama.
Agree 100%. I've had the tow button for 16 years now and talked with a few service and area managers over the years to get input since sales guys may or may not know what they're telling you..and it's spot on with yours. The other advantage is that it's also designed to keep trans fluid temp down through the shift management. I'm guilty of using cruise, although the engineers say it's a bad thing to do unless you have a trans temp gauge and you stay out of overdrive... because the torque converter doesn't lock in overdrive and that slippage can heat fluid up real quick. And that's exactly how I've observed it.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 03:30 PM   #10

I always use T/H mode with one exception. If I find myself on a flat road with a limited speed limit of around ~45, on mine the rpms are running higher than I prefer and I will kick it back out of T/H which will shift to the next gear and lower the rpm. Short of that, T/H mode keeps the rpms up a little bit and the engine is more responsive, also the engine braking on mine is minimal (if any) unless the T/H mode is engaged. ~CA
Old 02-18-2022, 06:36 PM   #11
CAG

Quote:
I'm guilty of using cruise, although the engineers say it's a bad thing to do unless you have a trans temp gauge
Why? I think you got some bad information. Firstly, with all of the computers in today's vehicles, there is a very good chance that if things get dicey with temps, the computer is going to throw you out of cruise. Secondly, with two Duramax vehicles, and this Ford, I have never found a case where temps went up because I was using cruise. In-fact I found that the transmission ran cooler when I was in cruise because, I think, the vehicle's computers regulated what was happening between the engine and transmission.

You actually contradict your first statement about keeping temps down because of shift management, when you say cruise, which is shift management, will run the temp up. Not true.

The entire thread is about using the engineering devices that were put into the vehicle to keep it from blowing itself up. There is so much misinformation out there, especially with RV's about worrying about this or worrying about that when in-fact today's vehicles are designed to function without the "idiot" behind the steering wheel doing something stupid and blowing it up.

My wife's new Audi A5 is scary with all that it knows, and does to keep the driver/owner from doing stupid things. It actually stops itself to keep you out of an accident, stays between the white lines, and has no dipstick because it knows if you need to add oil and will tell you. More than a little frightening.

Old 02-18-2022, 06:52 PM   #12

You know you have towing in your blood when you get, maybe, too old to drive the RV but still wanna tow/haul:

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:55 PM   #13
CAG

Quote:
If I find myself on a flat road with a limited speed limit of around ~45,
Tow/haul like cruise, is not designed to be used at lower speeds. It, and cruise regulate shifts, and other transmission/engine functions for hills and mountain travel.

I do use it in town traffic at times to help downshift coming up to lights and slowdowns. I doubt that that was the original design but it does help.

Old 02-18-2022, 07:00 PM   #14
CAG

I should add, with the Audi, that it is kinda interesting when it fights you to keep you from changing lanes on the freeway when you want to go around those slow drivers in the left lane. I want to put the thing on autopilot and let it go. Boy does it get to 90 in a hurry!

Old 02-23-2022, 01:45 PM   #15

Our previous unit was a 34xp (450 V-10). We had a 3,300 toad. Probably 90% with or without the toad, we used T/H. The only time I found the cruse to be acceptable was on very flat and long runs. Even overpasses on the interstate kept me out of cruse. Put it in T/H and keep your foot in it. You will find you personal comfort zone with the performance in the variable conditions.
GaryNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 02:15 PM   #16

Hitting break causes downshifting

Maybe this is a dumb question, but when in T/H going down a steep grade with my 36' 5ver/F-350, every time I tap my breaks it causes the engine to downshift...sometimes revving the engine up quite high (5k?). Is this normal? In this instance (coasting down a hill at 25mph), the system downshifts, but it's not able to maintain an acceptable speed (25 mph). I don't want to 'ride the breaks' going downhill, but don't feel like I have much of a choice. I assume the computer is doing its job (to downshift each break tap), but feel the engine is revving too much for its own good. Thoughts? Thanks!
GeoffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 02:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
Maybe this is a dumb question, but when in T/H going down a steep grade with my 36' 5ver/F-350, every time I tap my breaks it causes the engine to downshift...sometimes revving the engine up quite high (5k?). Is this normal? In this instance (coasting down a hill at 25mph), the system downshifts, but it's not able to maintain an acceptable speed (25 mph). I don't want to 'ride the breaks' going downhill, but don't feel like I have much of a choice. I assume the computer is doing its job (to downshift each break tap), but feel the engine is revving too much for its own good. Thoughts? Thanks!
Yes, that is what the T/H is supposed to do for engine braking. When using engine braking (auto-downshifting) the engine can run a little more rpm than it would normally be under full acceleration. ~CA
Old 02-24-2022, 05:59 PM   #18

Tow Haul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
You know you have towing in your blood when you get, maybe, too old to drive the RV but still wanna tow/haul:

Murff
Murff, Does that rig have tow/haul? Pretty sweet ride!
Old 02-24-2022, 07:00 PM   #19
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post

As mention in a number of responses previously. Yes the RPM will go up but NO the engine will not over rev. The computers in today's vehicles prevent the vehicle from damaging itself.

Put the cruise control on at about 5 mph slower that you want to go down the hill and put it in tow/haul. Don't touch the brakes. It will do it's thing and keep you at whatever speed you want. I come off of the Mogollon Rim, which is a drop of about 4000 feet and never touch the brakes.