Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2021, 06:24 PM   #1
VKC

Tow or Rent

I know it’s a personal decision but what are the advantages and disadvantages to pulling a toad or renting a car everywhere you go?
VKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKC View Post
I know it’s a personal decision but what are the advantages and disadvantages to pulling a toad or renting a car everywhere you go?
If you tow you know a car is available. The only dis-advantage I ever found was you can't back up. I only got stuck once and had to unhook.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:59 PM   #3
CAG

I think this one has been discussed before and can probably be found with a search but, what if you stay in a place with no car rental available? If they can't bring it to you do you walk 5 miles to the rental location?

We stay in places around Arizona where rental is not available and on top of that we do a lot, and I mean a lot of back country exploring so our Jeep is priceless.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:18 PM   #4

Renting at your destination means your destinations are all places 'urban-enough' to have car rental agencies.

Renting also means not having to worry about or hassle with the towed car.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:29 PM   #5

I have read several posts on this topic. But my concern would be where to rent from if there is no phone service? In the last couple of years I have camped at places like Black Canyon of the Gunnison, 5 mile state park, Colorado, Hermit Park near Estes, Colorado, and several other places in Colorado and Nebraska where there is no cell service.
With no cell service and in many cases long distances to even a small town where do you get a rental from?
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:27 PM   #6

And even in major cities rental car prices are through the roof due to a shortage of cars. You will find prices from $100 to $500 a day for rentals and many locations run out daily.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:55 AM   #7
Site Team

The Enterprise agency we used a few times closed last year due to business reasons. Now it’s 25 miles to the closest location and as stated rental prices are up 10 times over what we paid 3 years ago.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:14 AM   #8

Tow or rent

There are several variables, do you currently own a toad? If not purchase($15,000 to $20,000, +ins,maint. And storage). Many new vehicles cannot be towed 4 down. Tow dolly is another expense and storage. Size of coach dictates mobility. We have a 2019 class c 25ft. We travel 1 week monthly from april to oct. In north east. We spend about $2,000 yrly on rentals, cheaper than purchase of toad. If rental not avail. Just take the coach. Travel lifestyle is also a factor.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:11 AM   #9

I just don’t like having to depend on others. Just do what is most convenient for you. For me I'm going with a toad most of the time.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:52 AM   #10

Check the rental prices and that should give you an idea.
Uber would be another option.
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:33 AM   #11

Lots of places have neither Uber nor car rental available. Post Pandemic people are renting u haul trucks because that is all they can find! Taxis are very expensive in rural areas. I live in one of those areas. We had a radiator blow out at 1000 miles in a new truck under warranty. Not only did we have to deal with spotty cell service and breaking up phone calls, the nearest dealer was 100 miles away that could do warranty work. It took all day. No loaner car at the dealer and no rental cars within 15 miles. And of course Enterprise is not open every day and closes at five ( needed pickup at 9 30 pm. ) Had to call neighbor to drive 150 miles to come get us and bring us home. '

What a FU. Take your own toad and save you the grief. We were behind a MH that blew brake line in Banff. No rental available. The owners had to spend some days of their vacation parked in the lot of the garage that was going to fix it.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:04 AM   #12

This has been discussed here a few times, and the punchline is "there's no right or wrong answer". It all depends.

Personally, I like remaining completely independent, so we we use a toad most of the time. It's my daily driver too, so the "delta" in expense is the towing hardware only. And I installed it all myself, so the cost was kept down. We have the absolute freedom to go wherever we want whenever we want to (and it's a Jeep, so I really do mean "wherever"). If something happens to the MH, we can use the Jeep to make parts runs or summon help, or keep the family comfortable (or get to a comfortable place) while repairs are done. If we forget something, we just hop in the Jeep and make a run to whatever store is available. And as well if something happens with the Jeep. It has happened to us on a couple occasions where the Jeep needed repair while traveling. No problem, the family continues on with fun activities while I sort out the Jeep.

It works for how WE operate and how WE travel. We're free to use the MH as a "home base" while we explore the surrounding areas in comfort and convenience.

That being said, we don't always have the toad along. One example is when staying with friends. If we have some friends along, we may be able to use their vehicle, or go along with them. Sometimes we know we won't want to or need to leave where we're staying, so we leave the Jeep at home, especially on short trips or trips where we're using the MH out of convenience for short "sightseeing" or "reconnaissance missions". We stay with my dad frequently (he has hookups for us to use at his home), and he's more than happy to let us use his truck (so long as we give it back with fuel in it; a tank of gas is a cheap "rental fee").

The in-laws never towed, and got around just fine. They went to places where they didn't need to leave, or since they drove a small rig with no slides, they could just unhook and drive the coach if they needed. They used public transportation when available, and/or walked to wherever they wanted to go. It worked for them just fine.

I will say that in the current market and conditions, I wouldn't want to depend on a rental vehicle...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:49 AM   #13
CAG

Try it without for a few trips and then decide. If you feel like you are trapped in the RV park then you need to think about a toad.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Try it without for a few trips and then decide. If you feel like you are trapped in the RV park then you need to think about a toad.
+1

One way to know for sure is to try it a couple times and see what happens.

We went without our toad once to a state park, we left it because we had no plans to leave the park. When we got there and got set up, I realized we had forgotten a grocery item. I thought "dang, we shoulda brought the Jeep, then I could just run down to the store and grab that".

We ended up going without, and it was all fine, and we still had a great time. And that one little trip to the store would've been the only time the Jeep would've been used. Totally not worth it in that case.

If that one item had been important enough, I could have brought the slides and jacks in, disconnected the rig and ran into town; would've taken me about 30 minutes all-in round-trip. But it wasn't even remotely that critical...

Has anyone mentioned how important lists are?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:08 PM   #15

If one tows a trailer, this problem is moot!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:34 PM   #16
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
If one tows a trailer, this problem is moot!

Murff

But that was not the question.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:39 PM   #17

Before you make your final decision, you should call a Rental car company and check prices. Yesterday I called Enterprise and ask how many $$ dollars for the cheapest car they had for 1 week pick up and return at same location. I needed CPR when they said $692.00 for 6 Days. I called 4 other Rental companies and all were about the same $$$.......Enterprise said it was due to the PANDEMIC I say BS......
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:50 PM   #18
VKC

OUCH. I will need one for 20 days on one trip and 6 days on the next one. That money would go a long way towards the purchase price.
VKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
But that was not the question.
Well, okay!
Attached Images

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
Before you make your final decision, you should call a Rental car company and check prices. Yesterday I called Enterprise and ask how many $$ dollars for the cheapest car they had for 1 week pick up and return at same location. I needed CPR when they said $692.00 for 6 Days. I called 4 other Rental companies and all were about the same $$$.......Enterprise said it was due to the PANDEMIC I say BS......
Our daughter works for Enterprise and price increases are due to pandemic related demand. Simple economics, higher demand lowers supply which increases cost.

If one opens their eyes they will see that rental car lots are emptier than RV dealers’ lots.

Folks are renting cars for travel and body shops are taking longer for repairs so insurance related rentals are for longer durations.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote