Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2020, 08:58 PM   #1

Tow Trailer Office

Just wondering if anyone here tows a trailer that is a car hauler and also has an office in it? I am thinking about creating/having built a trailer as a car hauler and also having my work office in the front part of the trailer. Would love to see examples if anyone has one.
DocDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:49 PM   #2

Read this: https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/...n-a-gooseneck/
Old 09-14-2020, 06:41 AM   #3
Site Team

Interesting article. I wonder why you never saw in the article, the Goose Neck trailer disconnected from the truck?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #4

I've seen a few variations of that camper-on-a-trailer idea. I've seen it done with popups here and there, but I don't recall seeing one done with a truck-camper? Looks neat though!

I would say so long as the weight is right, you can tow whatever you want.

What are you looking at towing with? Will you have a car in the car-hauler? If so, I'd be looking at a Super-C (like a Seneca). Newer Class C motorhomes are limited to 7500 lbs, but Super-C motorhomes can go MUCH higher than that.

LOVE the idea of having an office in the trailer! If you end up going all the way, post up the build; I think that would be very interesting.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:19 AM   #5

Colorado - While that is interesting, I would like to get a Seneca with my family of five and pull a trailer with our minivan or Jeep in it with an office in the front of the trailer. I work overnight (can work remotely) and it seems this setup would be ideal.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDW View Post
Colorado - While that is interesting, I would like to get a Seneca with my family of five and pull a trailer with our minivan or Jeep in it with an office in the front of the trailer. I work overnight (can work remotely) and it seems this setup would be ideal.
That’s probably information that you should have put in your original post...
Old 09-14-2020, 08:32 AM   #7

Sorry - my bad. Thought that might be assumed since we are in a class C motorhome thread.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Sorry - my bad. Thought that might be assumed since we are in a class C motorhome thread.
I saw your signature picture and figured you had your truck...
Old 09-14-2020, 02:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
I saw your signature picture and figured you had your truck...
I do really enjoy the setup that I have now, but the rest of the family wants an RV. Seems like the best option is to pull a vehicle behind the RV so one has transportation at the destination. With that, I thought an office would be nice to have to work in at night when everyone else was sleeping.......just a thought looking for ideas. BTW anyone looking for a bunk 5th with a Denali Duramax diesel package????? Lol.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:28 PM   #10

Quote:
I do really enjoy the setup that I have now, but the rest of the family wants an RV. Seems like the best option is to pull a vehicle behind the RV so one has transportation at the destination. With that, I thought an office would be nice to have to work in at night when everyone else was sleeping.......just a thought looking for ideas. BTW anyone looking for a bunk 5th with a Denali Duramax diesel package????? Lol.
Personally, I think it's an amazing idea.

A Seneca should have little problem pulling a car trailer big enough for a decent office and the Jeep. Plus if you made the office "modular" (like folding table-tops and what not), you could keep the trailer relatively small by using some of the office space for the Jeep.

One issue I'm curious to see you overcome is air conditioning. There are VERY few places I could travel and work where AC would not be an absolute requirement. If you make the office space a flex space (that the Jeep occupies while in tow), then it would require you to air condition the entire space, which might be a bit of a waste.

OTOH, if you could somehow separate the "work" space from the storage space for the Jeep, you could get away with a very small AC unit just for that office space.

The possibilities are positively swirling around in my head!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:59 PM   #11

Saw a similar one @ Chatfield SP Colorado back in July. Was just pulling in & setting up. It was gone by the time I went back to take a picture. It was well designed & very functional.

Wish I had gotten that picture

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Well, the truck should bring top dollar, A very good friend owns a GMC dealership and he has more orders than trucks right now.

You could do a double axle trail w/ 5k axles, then simply put an enclosed trailer minus the axles of course on the deck. Insulation, windows, AC, etc... shouldn’t be hard at all.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:00 PM   #13

My plan is probably a 24 or 26 ft trailer with a wall at about 6 ft from the front. I do TeleHealth so would only need a desk and chair for my computer/monitors. I would probably put the desk in the front V. I figure on an air conditioner unit in the back (car hauler)part and duct the air to the front as to get the cold air, but not the compressor noise. Will put in insulation and sound absorbing material to decrease the echo sound within. Would put an access door for the office and probably another one on the other side of the wall to access the front of the car hauler side. Will wire for 110V for shore power and also for generator hookup.

What else do I need???
Old 09-15-2020, 06:19 AM   #14

We tow a 20' v-nose CH with our Seneca for our Q5. There is roughly 4' between the bumper and nose inside. With a 26' trailer, you're going to have a LOT of real estate going down the road. You may run in to issues finding camping sites as well. We sometimes have problems due to our length. The Seneca pulls the trailer well enough, but, last week, in TN on Hwy 24, it was all I could do to maintain 50mph on a 5° climb. I REALLY wish I had more torque and HP...
memphis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:32 AM   #15

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:48 PM   #16

mobile office ideas

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone here tows a trailer that is a car hauler and also has an office in it? I am thinking about creating/having built a trailer as a car hauler and also having my work office in the front part of the trailer. Would love to see examples if anyone has one.
I tow a 24' enclosed race car trailer behind my 2006 Seneca with the 6.6L Duramax. The car takes the first 15' from the tailgate towards the nose, leaving me with about 9' for my roller tool box, workbench, air compressor, etc. etc. I don't see why you couldn't do the same and just put a stud wall between the "garage" end and the "office".

Option #2 would be to buy a "toy hauler" trailer that is already configured with living quarters in the nose. The trick there is finding one with a garage that is big enough for your car. Most of them, in my experience, are built with hauling motorcycles or ATVs.

Option #3 would be to custom order a trailer from a trailer manufacturer, or authorized dealer, and have them build exactly what you want. I just Googled "custom enclosed car trailers" and got over 2M listings.

Craig
State College, PA
2006 Seneca HD 35GS
2006 United 24' enclosed car trailer
CRColwell is offline   Reply With Quote