Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #1

Tow'd Jeep keeps blowing right side fuses

The heading of my thread kind of explains my problem... I have an 03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara that I tow behind my 2014 Seneca 36FK. The Seneca is new to me, but the Jeep is not. I have never had a problem with the electrics on my Jeep with my previous MH, a 2003 Beaver, but now as soon as I connect my Jeep, I lose my right rear turn signal and brake light. I have traced the problem to a blown fuse and replaced it but it just keeps blowing. Cannot find anything amiss on the Jeep as far as a worn wire of something visible. Not sure how to trouble shoot the diodes and pigtail on the Jeep. Does anyone out there have any useful procedures to track down the problem?
david a judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by david a judd View Post
The heading of my thread kind of explains my problem... I have an 03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara that I tow behind my 2014 Seneca 36FK. The Seneca is new to me, but the Jeep is not. I have never had a problem with the electrics on my Jeep with my previous MH, a 2003 Beaver, but now as soon as I connect my Jeep, I lose my right rear turn signal and brake light. I have traced the problem to a blown fuse and replaced it but it just keeps blowing. Cannot find anything amiss on the Jeep as far as a worn wire of something visible. Not sure how to trouble shoot the diodes and pigtail on the Jeep. Does anyone out there have any useful procedures to track down the problem?
Where was the fuse blown, on the Jeep or on the Seneca? When I picked up the new Accolade from the dealer all the lights on my Tow vehicle and TOAD worked. My InvisiBrake would not function so I did not tow the Jeep home. Today I tried playing around with the InvisiBrake to see if it was maybe a ground issue but now the right turn and brake has no power at the pin on the 7 pin connector. I have RoadMaster coming to the house on Tuesday afternoon to troubleshoot the Invisbrake and I would like to have all the lights working. I'm beginning to wonder if something in my cord from coach to TOAD is screwed up.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:58 PM   #3

The fuse is the 20A right turn signal / brake light fuse on the Freightliner M2 Chassis of the motorhome.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:04 PM   #4
Site Team

My first thought is the terminal on the cord, on the toad is a ground, and connecting to the brake/signal terminal on the Seneca.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:02 AM   #5

JFlight,

I checked the cord and it is fine. I believe the issue is with one of the diodes on the Jeep wiring. I am just going to order a new one and install it. It's only $50, and I think that is where to problem lies. Don't know how to troubleshoot he diodes, so I'm taking the easy way out.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:40 AM   #6

I was wondering the same thing about the diodes myself with the issue I am having. It could be that when I step on the brake in the jeep it causes a voltage surge going to the fuse in the coach and bows the fuse. I will have the Roadmaster tech check my diodes as well.

Thanks for the info on the 20A fuse. I am going to have to lower the fuse box in my Accolade. It is above the opening of the battery box and it is almost impossible to get a hand in there to remove a fuse. I was able to remove the 30A brake light fuse to check it but can't get it back in by feel. I believe the lower mounting hole will become the top and I'll drill a new hole for the lower self tapping screw. A real wizard must have installed this fuse box; then again it was probably installed without the batteries in the tray so lots of room to work.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:32 PM   #7

David - I checked and my RH Trailer 20A fuse is blown. I sent a text message to the Roadmaster rep and asked him to check the diodes on my harness when he gets here Tuesday. My flat tow setup was just installed in July. It blew the fuses on my Challenger and it is now blowing the fuses on the Accolade. Something isn't right.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by david a judd View Post
JFlight,

I checked the cord and it is fine. I believe the issue is with one of the diodes on the Jeep wiring. I am just going to order a new one and install it. It's only $50, and I think that is where to problem lies. Don't know how to troubleshoot he diodes, so I'm taking the easy way out.
Diodes are very easy to check, they should show continutity one direction and not in the other direction
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:29 PM   #9

The problem with mine was the folks that installed my setup (Camping World) wired the lighting harness and InvsiBrake harness together at the TOAD front plug. This created a fat mess and with a lack of insulation there was the opportunity for wires to touch each other and short stuff out. The RoadMaster rep re-wired my setup at the house today so everything is working fine now.

The rep is going to be at Camping World tomorrow for some retraining of installation folks.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:25 PM   #10

I had a car a while back that kept blowing fuses. Eventually took it in and found a sort in one of the marker lights due to corrosion. could be the same in a brake or turn light on the jeep that momentarily shorts out.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:29 PM   #11
Site Team

snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
The RoadMaster rep re-wired my setup at the house today so everything is working fine now.

The rep is going to be at Camping World tomorrow for some retraining of installation folks.
Thanks for updating. That's good news. Was that house call on them, I hope?

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 10-29-2019, 10:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
snip...

Thanks for updating. That's good news. Was that house call on them, I hope?
Yes, no cost to me at all. My Grand Cherokee was just outfitted for flat towing in July and I haven't gotten a good tow on it yet. I also got a set of safety cable extensions today as well. I mentioned that since I had to get a 2 inch high/low adapter it added a 10 inch extension and I was concerned the Sterling tow bar safety cables might be a little tight going around sharp corners. He went into the back of his SUV and gave me a set of these.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...SAAEgJREvD_BwE
Old 10-29-2019, 10:41 PM   #13
Site Team

Very nice. Sometimes things have a way of ending well, and with gifts. Sounds like excellent customer service from them.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 11-06-2019, 11:41 PM   #14

I’ve blown multiple fuses on mine hooking up my Grand Cherokee. For me, I’m putting it down to user error in that somehow, I was able to incorrectly connect to the Seneca 7-way plug. Lots of spares on hand now!

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:23 PM   #15

Thanks for this post. I thought I was the only one with this problem. Now that I've replaced the fuse, I'll have to hook up and check if it does it again.
tomden2 is offline   Reply With Quote