Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2017, 03:49 PM   #1

Towing 12' enclosed trailer for my Goldwing

I' be decided a 12' lightweight (1100#) enclosed trailer will work to haul my Goldwing since I replaced my truck and toy hauler with out 2016 Melbourne 24K.

My question is anyone is doing something like this, and if so, are you using a weight distribution hitch. I can't imagine I'd need one for the weight, but maybe the sway bar attachments might be beneficial.

Thanks and Happy Camping!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
TLC

Should be all good without.
Does the cargo trailer have brakes? Curious, some did some didn't when I bought mine..

Tim
TLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC View Post
Should be all good without.
Does the cargo trailer have brakes? Curious, some did some didn't when I bought mine..

Tim

It does not have brakes...I was a little hesitant but decided the load shouldn't be so much it would have a negative effect

Old 02-26-2017, 06:32 PM   #4
TLC

I pull mine with a Roadking in it.
I set the bike chock so most of the bike's weight is a little ahead of the axle.
Pulls and trails great. No sway, torsion suspension.
TLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC View Post
I pull mine with a Roadking in it.

I set the bike chock so most of the bike's weight is a little ahead of the axle.

Pulls and trails great. No sway, torsion suspension.

Thanks

Old 11-12-2023, 08:48 AM   #6

I have a similar setup. Same size cargo trailer and a 2012 Goldwing. I cured my hitch drangging by replacing the drop axle on the cargo trailer with a straight axle, gaining 4" clearance. What I have not solved is the weight transfer associated with the tonque weight. The tonque weight is 200 lbs which takes 300 lbs off the front axle and adds 600 lbs to the RV rear axle. I am assuming this is due to the leverage from the long distance between the rear axle and the hitch. I am researching the use of a WD hitch. The manufacturers of WDS have not been helpful to date on this. Reviewing the forum discussion it seems folks have not considered the weight addition to the rear axle when towing a trailer which is much more than the tongue weight.
Scott 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 10:10 AM   #7

I don't use a WD hitch. I tow a 12' enclosed trailer behind my Greyhawk. It's not exactly apple to apples, but I have no problems. My trailer has brakes, but my first long trip I did not have a brake controller installed. It didn't matter to my Greyhawk.

Whether I'm flat towing my Jeep Wrangler or towing my enclosed trailer, my MPG drops no more than 1 MPG.
LukeDagny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 04:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 1 View Post
...The tonque weight is 200 lbs which takes 300 lbs off the front axle and adds 600 lbs to the RV rear axle. I am assuming this is due to the leverage from the long distance between the rear axle and the hitch...
Hi Scott!, welcome to the forum. As I read your post, I am curious how you determined the new weight loading on the RV's axles? Thanks.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 1 View Post
I have a similar setup. Same size cargo trailer and a 2012 Goldwing. I cured my hitch drangging by replacing the drop axle on the cargo trailer with a straight axle, gaining 4" clearance. What I have not solved is the weight transfer associated with the tonque weight. The tonque weight is 200 lbs which takes 300 lbs off the front axle and adds 600 lbs to the RV rear axle. I am assuming this is due to the leverage from the long distance between the rear axle and the hitch. I am researching the use of a WD hitch. The manufacturers of WDS have not been helpful to date on this. Reviewing the forum discussion it seems folks have not considered the weight addition to the rear axle when towing a trailer which is much more than the tongue weight.
That's very interesting math, can you share how to came to those numbers? For 200lb tongue weight to unload 300 lb from the front axle, your wheelbase would have to be less than the distance from the rear axle to hitch ball (which would be quite instable anyway). Further, if you have 200lb tongue weight and 300lb weight transfer, that's 500 lbs added to the rear axle, not 600.
Russc25 is offline   Reply With Quote