Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2015, 11:33 AM   #1

Towing a 08 Ford Edge

Has any one figured out why the ford edge battery goes dead when being towed? Anyone else tow a Ford Edge, and have the battery go dead?
stans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:37 PM   #2

What type of supplemental brake are you using? My Brake buddy drains the battery towing through the mountains on my CJ cycling the air compressor takes a significant amount of power.
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:01 PM   #3

I am going to be using a brake buddy. I have not used a breaking system in the past. I thought it will be better to have one. I know the ford edge has a problem with the battery draining when being towed. I just thought someone may have found out why. Stan
Old 09-05-2015, 12:12 PM   #4

Does the Edge have a CVT type tranny, and what type of preparations do you have to do to the Edge to get it ready for towing (acc on/off, shifter in N, or ?). I have read of people who tow a C Max have the same issue, but have stopped every 2-4 hrs and start the Cmax to charge the battery back up, some have even run a charging circuit thru the brake light plug wiring to eliminate this issue.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:30 AM   #5

I tow a 2012 Edge Limited, and until I hooked up a charge line from the Coach wiring connector to the Edge battery, the Edge battery would go dead within 2 hours or about 120 miles towing. I tow with the Edge in neutral and the key (push button in my case) in accessory position, as the owners manual states. It did not matter if you had a braking system (RViBrake II in my case) hooked up or not it still drained the battery. I do not know why, but I believe that all the ancillary electronic systems on this car pull a big load; If you just sit in the car with the ignition in accessory position the system will tell you after five or ten minutes to start the engine to avoid running down the battery. With the charging wire from the coach I have gone for many hours with no problem.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:22 PM   #6

Snowbird47
To keep the your ford edge battery charged did you just run a hot line to the battery' from the motorhome, to the car battery, and ground through the tow bar? Stan
Old 09-07-2015, 08:40 AM   #7

Stans02 - My Greyhawk came with a 7-pin connector for lights, electric brakes (for towing a trailer) and battery. I had a light kit put on the Edge when I had the baseplate installed, and that comes with a 6-pin connector (the electric brake line is missing because it is not needed). What you need is a 7-pin to 6-pin cable to connect from the coach to the Edge, and then run a wire from the appropriate pin on the 6-pin connector to your positive battery post. I put a 10 amp in-line fuse in there also, but am not sure it is needed as the battery line is fused at the coach fuse box.
There is a ground wire already in the 7- to 6- setup. If you do not have a light kit installed, you will have to wire the whole deal separately.
Good Luck.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote