Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2016, 09:21 PM   #1

Towing a Subaru Forester behind a motorhome

If you are towing, or know someone towing a Subaru Forester behind a motorhome, please post here. I need to pick your brain about an issue I'm having.....!!!

My '16 Subaru is all hooked up. Blue Ox Avanti Tow Bar, Blue Ox wiring with a solenoid as part of the wiring to the car. Total hook-up all Blue Ox.

Everything works great from the coach to the Forester except one issue.

Connections to the Patriot brake box, four-way flashers, brake lights, left turn signal, running light all work great from the coach to the forester as it should for a TOAD.

But when I use the right turn signal, the "third brake light" flashes along with the right turn signal. When I use the brakes, the "third brake light" works with the other brake lights as required.

The right turn signal causing the "third brake light" to flash.That's the only issue.

Any ideas what is up......!!!

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:03 PM   #2

I am making the assumption that the toad wiring ties into your existing tail and brake lights on the Subaru. This is generally done with diodes to prevent current from going the "wrong" way in the wiring, which can have unintended consequences. Depending on the style of lights on the Subaru (separate turn and brake lights each side?) determines how the wiring has to "tie in".

Another way toad lights can be facilitated are completely separate bulbs in the tail/brake light housings so the two vehicles systems are never really "tied" together. I don't know if the Subaru lamp housings can accommodate another bulb or not. But by your symptoms I am figuring you have the diode method.

I am leaning toward a mis-wired or malfunctioning diode. Needs to be carefully gone over to resolve whatever is going on to make sure other issues are not created.

Here is a link to toad wiring from Roadmaster, the kind I have used. Most other systems would have to be wired similarly: http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-1722-11.pdf

Signing off for the night, will check back in AM.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:20 PM   #3

Yes, the connections were done with diodes, and not with wiring to each separate tail light. Thanks for the additional info. I will get it to my mechanic...
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:42 AM   #4

Let us know what is found, may help another owner!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote