Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjmck View Post
I'm wondering if a person could put the MH in neutral. start the toad and pull the MH back. Just thinking out loud and not sure if my CRV would pull the MH anyway. Might try it sometime.
LOL! That thought crossed my mind too, but I don't think the angles will work for that either.

I think part of the problem is how far behind the rear axles the connection point is. It's not so hard if there's only one axle behind the connection point, but when you have two axles spread out the length of a vehicle, one of them that can turn, the geometry gets too difficult for me to think about. A single axle (or pair that is close together like on a tandem axle trailer) can turn 360* on the center point of the axle. Not so if you spread two axles apart. And then you still have to contend with the movement of the attachment point in relation to the rear axle of the tow vehicle (tail swing), along with the fact that the tow bar is a 3-point, rigid connection...

Like I said, too much geometry for my simple mind. It's quicker and easier to just unhook it and move on with life.

BTW, you might be surprised what your CRV can move if you need it to. I had a fuel pump die in a 1988 4x4 Suburban that was towing a fully loaded 25' tandem axle flat bed up a VERY steep, gravel hill. My dad offloaded the passengers from his Chrysler mini van (a "company" vehicle), hooked it up to the front of the 'burban, and pulled the whole works up the rest of the hill! Probably 150 feet, just to clear the road (lots of traffic behind us) I couldn't believe my eyes! I thought "there's no way! The old man has finally gone completely overboard!" But that stupid little van did it! That was back in the mid-'90s.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjmck View Post
I'm wondering if a person could put the MH in neutral. start the toad and pull the MH back. Just thinking out loud and not sure if my CRV would pull the MH anyway. Might try it sometime.
My concern would be the stress on the towbar regarding its rated capacity. Mine is a 6,000lb. rated Roadmaster, it tows my toads fine within its rating. Pull my Seneca, even for a short distance, and I am trying to drag almost 5 times its rated capacity! Would it do it? Probably. Might I damage my towbar, even though it might not be immediately visible? Possibly.

Not worth the risk for me. A Greyhawk is lighter, but if it were mine I still wouldn't risk it. Just my take however!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:46 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
LOL! That thought crossed my mind too, but I don't think the angles will work for that either.

I think part of the problem is how far behind the rear axles the connection point is. It's not so hard if there's only one axle behind the connection point, but when you have two axles spread out the length of a vehicle, one of them that can turn, the geometry gets too difficult for me to think about. A single axle (or pair that is close together like on a tandem axle trailer) can turn 360* on the center point of the axle. Not so if you spread two axles apart. And then you still have to contend with the movement of the attachment point in relation to the rear axle of the tow vehicle (tail swing), along with the fact that the tow bar is a 3-point, rigid connection...

Like I said, too much geometry for my simple mind. It's quicker and easier to just unhook it and move on with life.

BTW, you might be surprised what your CRV can move if you need it to. I had a fuel pump die in a 1988 4x4 Suburban that was towing a fully loaded 25' tandem axle flat bed up a VERY steep, gravel hill. My dad offloaded the passengers from his Chrysler mini van (a "company" vehicle), hooked it up to the front of the 'burban, and pulled the whole works up the rest of the hill! Probably 150 feet, just to clear the road (lots of traffic behind us) I couldn't believe my eyes! I thought "there's no way! The old man has finally gone completely overboard!" But that stupid little van did it! That was back in the mid-'90s.
I agree with you on the geometry. I would only try it if going straight back or maybe a slight turn if If I could talk the wife into just "holding" the steering wheel!!!
Demco Base Plate
Demco Commander Tow Bar
billjmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:49 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
My concern would be the stress on the towbar regarding its rated capacity. Mine is a 6,000lb. rated Roadmaster, it tows my toads fine within its rating. Pull my Seneca, even for a short distance, and I am trying to drag almost 5 times its rated capacity! Would it do it? Probably. Might I damage my towbar, even though it might not be immediately visible? Possibly.

Not worth the risk for me. A Greyhawk is lighter, but if it were mine I still wouldn't risk it. Just my take however!
I was thinking the strain on the tow bar would be the same, but I see your point.
Demco Base Plate
Demco Commander Tow Bar
billjmck is offline   Reply With Quote