Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2018, 04:40 PM   #1

Towing a Toad question

Hello All. I have a Redhawk 26XD. I hope to travel out West this winter and I want to bring a toad with me. I'm not too concerned with towing - it'll just take me a while to get used to it. I know the answer to my next question is; "don't get yourself if these situations". But stuff happens. My concern is with backing up. Part of the time I'll be traveling alone and I'm wondering how often you get into a position where you have to backup and disconnect the toad. I've only had a few times that I've had to backup,without a toad, but it has happened. I'd just like to get prepared for those occasions and that's my question: in the real world, how often do you have to backup with a toad? Thanks for the help.
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdux999 View Post
Hello All. I have a Redhawk 26XD. I hope to travel out West this winter and I want to bring a toad with me. I'm not too concerned with towing - it'll just take me a while to get used to it. I know the answer to my next question is; "don't get yourself if these situations". But stuff happens. My concern is with backing up. Part of the time I'll be traveling alone and I'm wondering how often you get into a position where you have to backup and disconnect the toad. I've only had a few times that I've had to backup,without a toad, but it has happened. I'd just like to get prepared for those occasions and that's my question: in the real world, how often do you have to backup with a toad? Thanks for the help.

Never. Always make sure that whatever you go into, you can get out of .... before you commit to the action. Good luck and have a wonderful and safe trip !!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:08 PM   #3

If this is a major concern get a backup camera. Some I have read rig them to stay on all the time as way of checking traffic and watching what is going on behind them as they drive.

I am working on getting one for next spring so I can check what is happening behind my trailer. That big blind spot worries me. No so much for parking but for actual driving.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:09 PM   #4

I make sure I don’t get into a situation where I need to back up. I put 16,000 miles on my Jayco Seneca motorhome towing a jeep and I have not had a situation yet. I always make sure I can see my way out before I go in. It’s really not that tough.

And oh yeah, if you do get in a situation where you need to back up, rest assured, it will be in the worst possible place.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
If this is a major concern get a backup camera. Some I have read rig them to stay on all the time as way of checking traffic and watching what is going on behind them as they drive.

I am working on getting one for next spring so I can check what is happening behind my trailer. That big blind spot worries me. No so much for parking but for actual driving.
When flat towing a vehicle with tow bars, you must disconnect before backing. It’s not like a trailer.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:11 PM   #6
Site Team

I had a Blue Ox towbar on a small pickup years ago and the instructions said to NEVER back up with it connected.

Untold damage, it's not designed to push, only pull.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark s View Post
i make sure i don’t get into a situation where i need to back up. I put 16,000 miles on my jayco seneca motorhome towing a jeep and i have not had a situation yet. I always make sure i can see my way out before i go in. It’s really not that tough.

And oh yeah, if you do get in a situation where you need to back up, rest assured, it will be in the worst possible place.

x2 - lol !!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #8

Thanks All. That's my concern. I know I couldn't back up even a few feet without un-hooking the toad. What concerns me most is making a wrong turn and ending up in a tight spot. It's good to hear that most folks haven't hit this situation.
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #9

With my prior gasoline Class C motorhomes, getting fuel was sometimes my most concerning driving situation with a toad in tow. So many fuel stations today have their pump islands perpendicular to the station making it frequently impossible to use those pumps and then just pull thru. Sometimes just the end pumps are accessible with a toad in tow. Picking accessible fuel pumps became part of my mandatory pre-trip planning process. Google Earth and Google Earth Street View became my good friend so I could survey the layout before we even left home. Some of the truck stop chains, Pilot/Flying J in particular, usually do have gasoline pull-thru gasoline lanes for RVs. Some highway service plazas also have gasoline at the "truck" lanes, but certainly not all.

With a diesel rig now life is easier since the big rig lanes is where we go. No backing ever needed there!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
With my prior gasoline Class C motorhomes, getting fuel was sometimes my most concerning driving situation with a toad in tow. So many fuel stations today have their pump islands perpendicular to the station making it frequently impossible to use those pumps and then just pull thru. Sometimes just the end pumps are accessible with a toad in tow. Picking accessible fuel pumps became part of my mandatory pre-trip planning process. Google Earth and Google Earth Street View became my good friend so I could survey the layout before we even left home. Some of the truck stop chains, Pilot/Flying J in particular, usually do have gasoline pull-thru gasoline lanes for RVs. Some highway service plazas also have gasoline at the "truck" lanes, but certainly not all......

+2 on the gas station pre-planning to avoid tight situations. I also use the Pilot/Flying J RV travel planning guide to find stations with RV Lanes..

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:47 PM   #11

Take a look at this Walmart Entrance: We entered just after dark, pulled in at the light - NO Signs at all!

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1908...2!8i6656?hl=en

The overhead pole was 12', the battering rams were 11'6"

Did we back up our Seneca with the Trailer behind us?? SURE DID! We had no choice but to tick off a whole lot of folks who were wanting to do their shopping. We ended up backing straight back into the intersection because we could not even get out of the intersection with our trailer.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:00 PM   #12

I got into a situation at a fuel stop. Thought I could make the turn but I was wrong. I flat tow a Jeep Wrangler and heard of horror stories of others backing up and causing major damage to their vehicles. In my situation, I just unhitched the vehicle first, then backed up to clear the obstacle and reconnected after fueling up. Now I don't take a chance unless I'm 100% sure I can make it.
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #13

Had it happen twice.. Once when we pulled off the ramp started into a Shell gas station and they only had a 10' canopy. 2nd time it was thanks to a city last minute, unmarked detour, that closed a road. Had to turn around in a church lot.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:29 PM   #14

Be careful when using the fuel pumps at a Sam’s Club as they are almost always one way only. Be sure to slow down and look for the signs before turning in.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:16 PM   #15

You all must be a lot luckier than I am. First trip in our MH towing, I ran into about 8 different times I had to back up. Was really glad I owned a Highlander that had to be trailered. Wasn't an issue at all lol.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #16

Backing Up with Tow Vehicle

We have put on about 13,000 miles in our 31XL Redhawk in the year we have owned it. We only had to disconnect the car one time and that was because we started our turn too late to get into the exit lane - totally avoidable situation. One time I did ask someone if they would move their car and he was most accommodating. We have had to wait a few minutes for an end pump to become available. Everyone has told us this will happen sooner or later.....
Barbara20112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #17

When we had a 2010 Seneca we flat towed a Jeep and usually had no problem. One of the few times we had to back up (and unhook) was when we pulled in behind a 5th wheel at a Flying J RV lane. I hadn't noticed he had cut the corner and there was no way he was going to clear the concrete bollards protecting the pump if he pulled through. So he had to back up, and so did we, after unhooking and moving the jeep out of the way, so not only watch yourself, but others. We have a 2017 SENECA now and haul the jeep around on an Aluma tilt bed trailer since it has enough GCWR. We have backed up numerous times, my wife's a great spotter!
jaypkauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #18

Yes, a flat towed with Blue Ox or other is not a trailer, you must assume you cannot back up as you would pulling a trailer. You can do a little maneuvering while pulling into a pull-thru but that's about it. Gas stations can be a nightmare. We recently found ourselves driving thru the LA area and there were no suitable stations. We pulled off a couple of times and got back on the road without even pulling into a gas station. As we approached our destination the gas light came on so we knew we would need to buy gas before heading out again. We passed a station on the way to the RV park and planned to stop there on the way out. We pulled in, got the gas and then realized we could not get out without unhooking. We did and we managed to find a spot not far from the gas station to rehook, but it was frustrating. As anyone who has RVed for any length of time will tell you, be prepared for almost anything and stay calm when it happens.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:39 PM   #19

We start looking for a suitable filling station at the half mark on the gas gauge! Have been lucky so far with disconnecting.
Vettnut69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #20
Sam

Had my Seneca three plus years and 32,000 miles and I had to unhook for the first time last September. Following my GPS in a mid size town in WY, made a left turn as directed by the GPS and there it was, an undercrossing that said 13' clearance, (the Seneca measures about 13'3"). My wife let out a blood curdling scream and I came to a very quick stop. I calmly said to my wife that I had seen the warning, (not really). Lots of traffic, but I had no choice and jumped out to disconnect my toad. An oncoming driver stopped to help and advised that he had called the police. Three officers arrive in two or three minutes and shut down both lanes of the road. My wife jumped into and moved the toad and I backed up the Seneca about 200 feet or so to the road I had turned off of. I had several people helping me and it really was a great feeling so many came to our rescue. Now my question is, shall I tell my wife that I really did not see the 13 foot warning sign? She is really a sweet heart! Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote