Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #1

Towing a Toad question

Hello All. I have a Redhawk 26XD. I hope to travel out West this winter and I want to bring a toad with me. I'm not too concerned with towing - it'll just take me a while to get used to it. I know the answer to my next question is; "don't get yourself if these situations". But stuff happens. My concern is with backing up. Part of the time I'll be traveling alone and I'm wondering how often you get into a position where you have to backup and disconnect the toad. I've only had a few times that I've had to backup,without a toad, but it has happened. I'd just like to get prepared for those occasions and that's my question: in the real world, how often do you have to backup with a toad? Thanks for the help.

jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdux999 View Post
Hello All. I have a Redhawk 26XD. I hope to travel out West this winter and I want to bring a toad with me. I'm not too concerned with towing - it'll just take me a while to get used to it. I know the answer to my next question is; "don't get yourself if these situations". But stuff happens. My concern is with backing up. Part of the time I'll be traveling alone and I'm wondering how often you get into a position where you have to backup and disconnect the toad. I've only had a few times that I've had to backup,without a toad, but it has happened. I'd just like to get prepared for those occasions and that's my question: in the real world, how often do you have to backup with a toad? Thanks for the help.

Never. Always make sure that whatever you go into, you can get out of .... before you commit to the action. Good luck and have a wonderful and safe trip !!

gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:08 PM   #3

If this is a major concern get a backup camera. Some I have read rig them to stay on all the time as way of checking traffic and watching what is going on behind them as they drive.

I am working on getting one for next spring so I can check what is happening behind my trailer. That big blind spot worries me. No so much for parking but for actual driving.
Dometic Milenco Aero mirrors
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:09 PM   #4

I make sure I don’t get into a situation where I need to back up. I put 16,000 miles on my Jayco Seneca motorhome towing a jeep and I have not had a situation yet. I always make sure I can see my way out before I go in. It’s really not that tough.

And oh yeah, if you do get in a situation where you need to back up, rest assured, it will be in the worst possible place.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
If this is a major concern get a backup camera. Some I have read rig them to stay on all the time as way of checking traffic and watching what is going on behind them as they drive.

I am working on getting one for next spring so I can check what is happening behind my trailer. That big blind spot worries me. No so much for parking but for actual driving.
When flat towing a vehicle with tow bars, you must disconnect before backing. Itís not like a trailer.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:11 PM   #6
Site Team

I had a Blue Ox towbar on a small pickup years ago and the instructions said to NEVER back up with it connected.

Untold damage, it's not designed to push, only pull.
2017 GMC Terrain (future TOAD)

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark s View Post
i make sure i donít get into a situation where i need to back up. I put 16,000 miles on my jayco seneca motorhome towing a jeep and i have not had a situation yet. I always make sure i can see my way out before i go in. Itís really not that tough.

And oh yeah, if you do get in a situation where you need to back up, rest assured, it will be in the worst possible place.

x2 - lol !!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #8

Thanks All. That's my concern. I know I couldn't back up even a few feet without un-hooking the toad. What concerns me most is making a wrong turn and ending up in a tight spot. It's good to hear that most folks haven't hit this situation.
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #9

With my prior gasoline Class C motorhomes, getting fuel was sometimes my most concerning driving situation with a toad in tow. So many fuel stations today have their pump islands perpendicular to the station making it frequently impossible to use those pumps and then just pull thru. Sometimes just the end pumps are accessible with a toad in tow. Picking accessible fuel pumps became part of my mandatory pre-trip planning process. Google Earth and Google Earth Street View became my good friend so I could survey the layout before we even left home. Some of the truck stop chains, Pilot/Flying J in particular, usually do have gasoline pull-thru gasoline lanes for RVs. Some highway service plazas also have gasoline at the "truck" lanes, but certainly not all.

With a diesel rig now life is easier since the big rig lanes is where we go. No backing ever needed there!
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
With my prior gasoline Class C motorhomes, getting fuel was sometimes my most concerning driving situation with a toad in tow. So many fuel stations today have their pump islands perpendicular to the station making it frequently impossible to use those pumps and then just pull thru. Sometimes just the end pumps are accessible with a toad in tow. Picking accessible fuel pumps became part of my mandatory pre-trip planning process. Google Earth and Google Earth Street View became my good friend so I could survey the layout before we even left home. Some of the truck stop chains, Pilot/Flying J in particular, usually do have gasoline pull-thru gasoline lanes for RVs. Some highway service plazas also have gasoline at the "truck" lanes, but certainly not all......

+2 on the gas station pre-planning to avoid tight situations. I also use the Pilot/Flying J RV travel planning guide to find stations with RV Lanes..

2009 smart toad

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote