Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2023, 12:28 PM   #1

Towing an auto transport Trailer

My husband and I are relatively new at RVing. We've had our Greyhawk 29MV about 1 year and have gone on small trips. What we have determined is that we definitely would like to have a vehicle to explore the area. Unfortunately, neither of our cars that are relatively new can be dolly towed or flat towed. Therefore, we are gonna try using an auto transport trailer. We are doing a trial run this week by renting a UHAUL trailer. A couple of questions. What "drop" should I be getting when hooking up the Uhaul trailer. (Uhaul had know idea). Also- are all auto transport trailers the same? Or getting a more expensive aluminum frame trailer, like Futura make a significant difference when towing? Thanks for any help or suggestions.
RLMcamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 12:51 PM   #2

Every towing setup can be different, no standard hitch "drop", you have to just figure it out based on your hitch height and whatever trailer.

Just be mindful of your Greyhawk's towing capacity (Gross Combination Weight Rating) and the maximum tongue weight your loaded trailer will have and that your hitch is sufficient. That is where an aluminum trailer is frequently advantageous, they usually are a bit lighter than a steel version. And make sure the trailer has adequate brakes, both for safety and for legal towing reasons.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:07 PM   #3

Towing auto transport Trailer

Thanks for that info. I will double check all those things.
RLMcamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:57 PM   #4

Kudos to your decision to try things out with a Uhaul car transport trailer. They will give you a chance to try before you buy. d

The Uhaul transport are a beefy-strong trailer for just about anything you would want to tow on it... and they are pretty heavy in comparison to an aluminum trailer you might consider buying. Our trailer is rated 10k and is fine to pull with our Seneca, our previous motorhome pulled it too, but we had some opportunities with cooling that 400 Chevy chassis and towing hills in summer.

That said, Try things out with the Uhaul trailer. Take it to a Scale and get your weights with the trailer loaded and enjoy the freedom of being able to back up anytime, anywhere!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:47 PM   #5

Typical trailers have 3500# axles. A car hauler will have two axles and weigh in the 1600#+ range, empty. My Greyhawk has a 7500# towing capacity with 700# tongue weight. How heavy is your car?

I have no experience with this company, but it was the top of my google search. The first two have trailer GVWR ratings less than my Greyhawk's capacity.

https://www.bigtextrailers.com/car-hauler-trailers
LukeDagny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 06:47 PM   #6

FWIW, I am selling my R&R fully aluminum car hauler now. Had it custom built for the previous Thor. PM if interested. We hauled a 2019 XT5...tows like a dream with torsion suspension. Our new Melbourne Prestige won't work with it. The trailer weights right at 1,000 pounds with twin 3500# axles.
Retired @ PCB
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:56 PM   #7

I had been looking at car haulers and thinking that the tongue weight may be too much and we'll exceed out cargo capacity. If the car with trailer is about 6K, we're looking at the tongue weight of 800 lbs. or more. That's half of the cargo capacity of our class C.

That aluminum trailer sure looks tempting, but I'm concerned about maxing out the payload capacity of the RV.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote