Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2018, 09:43 PM   #1

Towing with a Jayco Melbourne 24k

Good Evening,

Our new coach sits on the Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis and we just got back from our first trip not towing anything. I discovered that 65mph is her happy place and need to get a good run on hills to not drop below 50mph. Some steeper longer grades we drop maybe to 45mph or less.

That said I own 2 sit down jet skis I would like to tow behind and go to some cool new places. Total weight only maybe 1500lbs. I am concerned that I would brushing the motor if I was towing and trying to run her at 65mph.

Does anyone ace experience towing wi this little coac and wha should I expect?

Thank much
RVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:58 AM   #2

What is the maximum speed rating on the jet ski trailer tires?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:41 PM   #3

I don't tow anything (yet) but also have concerns with the towing capabilities. There is a member however that tows a Jeep Wrangler on the regular without any issues (that I know of). Maybe it's the high elevation in Wyoming or something, not sure but he will likely respond before too long. In my personal opinion, pretty sure 1500# shouldn't be an issue with the rating being 5K. Of course pulling out of a boat ramp - not sure on that one. That could put that V6 Turbo to the test. Here are the links:

Member:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...oko-41606.html

Post talking about towing Jeep:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-36611-7.html

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:22 PM   #4

Thank you for the replies. Yes I am not out to set speed records but also don’t want to go r5mph on the freeway or 30mph up hills.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:05 AM   #5

Try downshifting. Max HP is developed at 3800rpm per Mercedes specs. I do it all the time even at highway speeds.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Try downshifting. Max HP is developed at 3800rpm per Mercedes specs. I do it all the time even at highway speeds.
In case anyone doesn't know you can downshift by moving the shifter to the left. To avoid forgetting to up shift again, which is easier than you might think, you can downshift and after a second or so up shift again and the computer will shift back up when conditions warrant.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
What is the maximum speed rating on the jet ski trailer tires?
This is leading question to your answer.

I'm also really confused how your unloaded sprinter RV can't keep a speed up a hill. Either something is wrong with your coach, or you aren't pressing the go pedal enough?
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglght View Post
This is leading question to your answer.

I'm also really confused how your unloaded sprinter RV can't keep a speed up a hill. Either something is wrong with your coach, or you aren't pressing the go pedal enough?
Yes sorry, I reference to my earlier post. The coach was loaded not towing and some steep mint passes I was at 45mph maybe 50mph. My concern is towing 2 sit own skis and trailer. I just want to be able to cruise around 60mph to 65mph and not go 20mph up hills.

Trailer is rated for 70mph

Just looking for anyone who has towed with a class C sprinter. Thanks again
Old 04-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #9

We have owned our Melbourne for almost two years now and have never taken it out without towing our Jeep Wrangler (over 20,000 miles). We run at 57-60 on backroads and between 62-65 on the interstate. We are surrounded by mountains, so we always have steep grades to navigate. If we're going up really steep grades, which is a lot of the time, we, of course, slow considerably, especially on 7% and steeper, but it has never taxed our motor. There's a section of I-80 between our town and Salt Lake City, UT in Wyoming called "the sisters" (three very notoriously steep, simultaneous hills). We can keep our speed at about 55 toward the top. There are three lanes - semis and us have to stay in the inner two lanes, but we have no problem passing the semis who are in the innermost lane. Now, going down hills is more of a challenge. The Melbourne doesn't hold back very well on steep down-hills. Be sure you have good trailer brakes or your MH brakes could suffer. We were coming out of the Big Horn Mountains near Sheridan, WY down an 8%-12 mile hill, and our brakes overheated. We found that the braking system on our Jeep was barely working. Needless to say, we changed that out and now have the Stealth Brake Buddy.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:49 PM   #10

Thank you

Thanks so much Koko. Great to see you tow with yours. I really appreciate the feedback. Excited to know she will have the power to pull.

Cheers
Old 10-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #11

What fuel economy do you think you get towing a Jeep Wrangler? Just wondering how much less you’ll get towing with a 24K Melbourne.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #12

We have a 2017 Jayco Melbourne 24M.
We tow my 2015 Jeep Wrangler.
No problems. Drive 55-65. Towing robs maybe 2 mpg.
Really, we hardly know the Jeep is back there.
As for stressing the motor, there is no evidence of that.
As for towing your watercraft, to me it would not be an issue.........
We have a Blue Ox base plate on the Jeep and the Ready Brake tow bar system....
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #13

We're on an extended trip in the southwest and California and have been averaging about 13 with a few occasional 15s when the conditions are right. By the way, we're at Silver Strand State Park in San Diego. Beautiful. Our slide hangs over the beach!
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #14

We, too, have a Melbourne K (2017). We are considering going out next season with a dingy (either a Subaru Forester - 2012 or newer - manual trans or Jeep Wrangler - 2013 or newer - 6-speed manual). I wonder what the process is to get that done - what equipment is needed for both the Melbourne and the dingy, where is best to get the needed equipment installed (or can it be a DIY project), and general idea of price for a ready-to-tow system. Any input would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Out4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out4Fun View Post
We, too, have a Melbourne K (2017). We are considering going out next season with a dingy (either a Subaru Forester - 2012 or newer - manual trans or Jeep Wrangler - 2013 or newer - 6-speed manual). I wonder what the process is to get that done - what equipment is needed for both the Melbourne and the dingy, where is best to get the needed equipment installed (or can it be a DIY project), and general idea of price for a ready-to-tow system. Any input would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
The towed will need to have a base plate and light kit installed. We have installed all of ours over the years around 5 in total, within one Saturday each.

A tow bar will be needed to connect the MH to the towed.

Last but not least an auxiliary braking system will be needed for the towed.

Budgeting somewhere between $1000 and $3000 is typical minus any installation costs.

Check www.etrailer.com for your vehicles' needs.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:49 PM   #16

MIKE,
I've towed either my 2013 Kia Soul (from Pittsburgh to Acadia Maine and back) or my 12' enclosed cargo trailer with my Goldwing in it (down to central KY and back). No issues at all with either running highway speeds; can't tell they're back there without checking the camera! My notes show I lose about 1.5mpg with the trailer and 2mpg with the Kia on average. LOTS of hills, no issues other than loss of speed on the really long, tall ones. I find the Melbourne does a damn fine job getting me where I'm going.
Enjoy!!
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:55 PM   #17

4Fun,

What Seneca said. I researched for a while to find the toad I wanted and the pieces I needed to tow it. Ended up going with a Kia Soul (6-speed manual) which is low weight and pulls like a dream. Bracket, tow bar, and auxiliary brake system probably totaled about $2500 but I'm mechanically deficient so I paid to get the tow bracket installed. Not cheap, but once it's set up, it's easy to use and really zero maintenance.
ENJOY!
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:27 PM   #18

RVMike,
We just completed a 1,900 mile trip from NH to Key West, much of it through the White Mountains, Berkshires and Great Smokey Mountains in our 2017 Melbourne 24M towing a 5X8 aluminum trailer with our scooter and other stuff. CAT scale weight before the trip put the coach right at max GVW and the trailer at 1,140 lbs.

It towed with no problems at 65 mph, had plenty of power to pass when necessary and held speed up steepest hills to at least 55 MPH with no downshifting. I was pleased with performance.
Seniorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:54 PM   #19

We just bought a 2018 Jayco 24L, 1st motorhome, we also bought a 2018 Wrangler to tow. What is the rpm running 60 or 65 mph?
Dave N Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave N Susie View Post
We just bought a 2018 Jayco 24L, 1st motorhome, we also bought a 2018 Wrangler to tow. What is the rpm running 60 or 65 mph?
I think you will be in the low to mid 3’s depending on conditions.