Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #1
Lost in the Woods

Transfer Switch Location

Think we have a bad transfer switch. When starting the generator, we get no power in the unit. I cannot find the transfer switch. Can anyone tell me where it is on an '06 27DS? I have removed the panels under the bed...there are just two junction boxes there along with the slide motor. The Breaker Box is under the desk in front of the bed. Thought it would be somewhere around there but for the life of me, I cannot locate it.
GoCougs1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:05 PM   #2

I do not know about yours but my 09 Greyhawk is under the bed, follow the wires my be in your closet has to be somewhere near the shore power cable entrance. Look for a metal box with shore power cord, gen power cord going in and then main cord coming out.
That is the ATS (auto transfer switch)
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #3

It’s under the bed, but before you get too deep into it, check the breaker on the side of the generator. It can trip and give the symptoms you’ve described.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCougs1990 View Post
Think we have a bad transfer switch. When starting the generator, we get no power in the unit. I cannot find the transfer switch. Can anyone tell me where it is on an '06 27DS? I have removed the panels under the bed...there are just two junction boxes there along with the slide motor. The Breaker Box is under the desk in front of the bed. Thought it would be somewhere around there but for the life of me, I cannot locate it.
You have to remove the false panel on the floor of the wardrobe next to the desk. Should have added, if you have drawers next to the desk pull the bottom one and look below it.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:03 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Thanks grumpy...Pulled the drawer and low and behold. Tomorrow will remove the panel and remove and replace. Much appreciated
Old 08-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Transfer Switch

Replaced the old switch with a new one. Triple checked the wiring. Disconnected from shore power and started genset. Still no power to the unit. Flipped the gen breaker...nothing. Any ideas?
Old 08-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Replaced the old switch with a new one. Triple checked the wiring. Disconnected from shore power and started genset. Still no power to the unit. Flipped the gen breaker...nothing. Any ideas?
Gen is not putting out power, could be numerous issues. Bad breaker, Low RPM, High RPM bad stator, bad rotor, bad brushes, stuck brushes, bad voltage regulator. Sounds like a trip to Cummins/Onan is needed.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:49 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Gen is not putting out power, could be numerous issues. Bad breaker, Low RPM, High RPM bad stator, bad rotor, bad brushes, stuck brushes, bad voltage regulator. Sounds like a trip to Cummins/Onan is needed.
Thanks again. Being an ‘06 and the gen only having 90 hours on it makes me think it has not been run enough? Oh well, going to see the doctor next week
Old 08-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks again. Being an ‘06 and the gen only having 90 hours on it makes me think it has not been run enough?
Definitely..
Old 08-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #10

Not sure if this is normal, transfer switch, or other?? I noticed that when I plug in or start the genny there is approximately a 10 second delay before the rig shows signs of life. Then I hear a beep and the coach receives power, microwave lights come on, and all is well. I was used to instant power in my past trailer, that is why I ask.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
Not sure if this is normal, transfer switch, or other?? I noticed that when I plug in or start the genny there is approximately a 10 second delay before the rig shows signs of life. Then I hear a beep and the coach receives power, microwave lights come on, and all is well. I was used to instant power in my past trailer, that is why I ask.
Quite normal with the geny side, never heard of it on shore power. Maybe something new with the transfer switches being used.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:00 PM   #12
Site Team

Just talked my cousin thru a transfer switch problem. Unit working on ac and just quit. Power coming to the pedestal and traced to the transfer switch burnt up. This was on a Redhawk, found the transfer switch under the bed smoked. Loose wires on the ac input side.

She was able to get a rv electrician to bypass it until a new transfer switch comes in and is installed.

If I had a newer unit, I would be verifying the tightness of all wiring in and out of my transfer switch ASAP.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Just talked my cousin thru a transfer switch problem. Unit working on ac and just quit. Power coming to the pedestal and traced to the transfer switch burnt up. This was on a Redhawk, found the transfer switch under the bed smoked. Loose wires on the ac input side.

She was able to get a rv electrician to bypass it until a new transfer switch comes in and is installed.

If I had a newer unit, I would be verifying the tightness of all wiring in and out of my transfer switch ASAP.
I just added my hardwired Hughes Autoformer and had to remove the shore power input...all wires on transfer switch were tight...but I re-torqued them when I finished.

Good point on always check everything you can.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Quite normal with the geny side, never heard of it on shore power. Maybe something new with the transfer switches being used.
Southwire transfer switch in my unit...

"Transfers to generator power automatically when energized
after 30 second delay. When both shore power and
generator power are available, generator dominates after
a 30 second delay. Once the generator is shut down, shore
power activates after a 3-4 second delay."

3-4 sec delay for shore power even without the gen.

Click For Full-Size Image.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote