Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2021, 09:28 AM   #1
MDR

Traveling with full water tanks

Have a 27 u on order . Have never owned an rv my question is I think I would like to travel with full water tanks for boondocking as most of our stops will be around 1 to 3 nights. Any thoughts
MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:48 AM   #2

I usually travel with a full water tank whenever I plan to camp where water is not easily available, otherwise I just keep a few gallons in the tank for hand washing and toilet flushing while enroute. I would suggest though and others will likely mention this, if you are already carrying a lot of equipment, then a full tank of water will add a lot to your cargo weight limit and possibly could cause you to be over your RV's weight limit. Also, I have read from others where certain RV's are not designed to carry a full tank of water while traveling, although I have never had an RV that actually stated that in the owner's manual. ~CA
Old 04-13-2021, 10:07 AM   #3
RPR

Depending on where we headed during the winter months we may fill up before leaving that morning if we may be arriving late at next stop and daytime temps are ok. We have had some campgrounds tell us when checking in to fill up because as a precaution they would be turning water off at night. Even though the temps for that night do not call for it.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:11 PM   #4

Always fill my 65 gallon fresh water tank at the house before leaving. You never know what's at the other end of your trip. Twice I have arrived at camp grounds where the water was unusable due to contamination, another time it got shut off right after we got there due to a broken water line. Plus, it helps stabilize the trailer in high winds and passing semi's.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I would suggest though and others will likely mention this, if you are already carrying a lot of equipment, then a full tank of water will add a lot to your cargo weight limit and possibly could cause you to be over your RV's weight limit.
+1

Also, see where your FW tank is actually mounted. If its aft of the rear axle, you might overload that axle but still be under your GVWR depending on how heavy your rig already is. A trip to the CAT scales will tell you.

I could never carry a full tank of water in either of the Greyhawk 29MVs I owned while still be under weight with my gear and family inside. Heck, I probably couldn't carry 1/4 a tank of FW.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:23 PM   #6

I also travel with full water on board.

You will appreciate it some time when you might need it.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:26 PM   #7

I prefer to travel with an empty tank.
We carry a gallon jug for toilet use.
I'm a stickler for being too heavy.
If we will be dry camping, that's different.
But if we're heading to a campground that has water or to an RV park, we go dry.
Never had an issue.
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:38 AM   #8

We travel with about 25% full in the tank. If we're boondocking or heading some place with uncertain weather or water, then we travel with three of those plastic 'jerry cans' for water. That's about 25 gallons that we can use if necessary.

You can really feel the difference in driving ours with a full vs empty tank.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:29 AM   #9

We always travel with a FULL fresh water tank. Since we boondock at rest stops along our intended route, we don't want to have a problem using the shower, sinks, or toilet as needed for our comfort and sanitation.

The specs on our 24B Redhawk is 42.5 gals fresh, 40 gray, and 31 black so even if we use the entire fresh water into the other two tanks we are safe. As far as the 350 lbs of additional weight it is really negligible as far as GVWR is concerned. Our 26' coach is pulled by the same engine [Ford E450 V10] as the much larger rigs. It has plenty of power.

Check your tank specs and I would not worry about overall weight of the coach if you fill the fresh full. Fresh tanks are the way to remain fully functional while on the road.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:41 PM   #10

I almost always keep my water tanks empty when traveling. I carry 2 or 3 filled 7 gallon water cubes for water needs on the road, then fill the tanks when I near the camping area.

I noticed that the water tank support straps and the angle iron that they're attached to have bent, and I don't know if it's from overfilling the tanks or from traveling with the tanks full. I need to check the tank supports more closely. That middle strap looks like it's starting to pull free where it attaches to the angle iron.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8362.JPG  
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I almost always keep my water tanks empty when traveling. I carry 2 or 3 filled 7 gallon water cubes for water needs on the road, then fill the tanks when I near the camping area.

I noticed that the water tank support straps and the angle iron that they're attached to have bent, and I don't know if it's from overfilling the tanks or from traveling with the tanks full. I need to check the tank supports more closely. That middle strap looks like it's starting to pull free where it attaches to the angle iron.
Wow, that makes me want to inspect mine more carefully. I plan to install a track bar soon and will take a look at all of the tanks and supports. In any case, I would highly consider straightening out the bar that the straps are connected to and adding another steel angle iron on top of the bar already there now, (likely you could drill and bolt it in). I would also consider if not too challenging to add a few more straps. ~CA
Old 04-14-2021, 01:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
We travel with about 25% full in the tank.
You can really feel the difference in driving ours with a full vs empty tank.
The tank should either be full or empty. A tank that is 25% full will have tremendous movement of water. The sloshing of water can cause handling issues, and wear and tear on mounting brackets. Just an opinion from a 30 year tanker driver....
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:34 PM   #13

That's a good point Route 66. Never thought of that.

I'd suggest they should make a baffled water tank, but that's just more corners for bacteria to grow.
Revy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:58 PM   #14

I travel 95% of the time with full tank of water. We boondock 95% of the time as well and need water. Been doing it now for over 4 years / 50,000 miles no issues.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:21 PM   #15
RPR

Water weighs approx 8.12 lbs. per gallon at 70 degrees.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Wow, that makes me want to inspect mine more carefully. I plan to install a track bar soon and will take a look at all of the tanks and supports. In any case, I would highly consider straightening out the bar that the straps are connected to and adding another steel angle iron on top of the bar already there now, (likely you could drill and bolt it in). I would also consider if not too challenging to add a few more straps. ~CA
While I am not familiar with a 2010 greyhawk, he has a trailer and your tank is likely framed up more solid that his pic.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDR View Post
Have a 27 u on order . Have never owned an rv my question is I think I would like to travel with full water tanks for boondocking as most of our stops will be around 1 to 3 nights. Any thoughts

Travel as light as possible. I never carry more than 1/3 tank of fresh water and have not had any water issues. Always empty you black and grey tanks before moving on to the next stop. (keep a couple of gallons in the black tank to avoid poopcicles). Happy trails.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
The tank should either be full or empty. A tank that is 25% full will have tremendous movement of water. The sloshing of water can cause handling issues, and wear and tear on mounting brackets. Just an opinion from a 30 year tanker driver....

very good point. I'll switch to empty and add another plastic Jerry can.
thank you!
Old 04-17-2021, 12:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post

I noticed the straps are just self tapping screws I would replace them with nuts, bolts and Loctite. The frame that the straps are screwed to needs to be reinforced or replace and reinforced. When I had a Jayco motorhome brand new the grounding lugs on the frame in the rear used self tapping screws and both were broken off and no one saw it except for me when I was covering all the rust with rust preventive. I reattached them myself because Camping world can do anything. I hope it's not to big of a problem to fix yourself and not have to take it in and wait forever for a shop do it.
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:13 PM   #20

Always plan ahead on where you are camping. I always leave my tanks empty unless I am dry camping and there is no place to fill up close to the campground that I am going to. Less weight means better gas mileage too ;-) If you plan to camp at a site that has water, it is always good to call the campground the day(s) before you head there to see if they have water hookups. (Especially during COVID times - some campgrounds have shut down their water hookups). Traveling with empty water tanks prolongs the structural integrity of your RV. Dump your tanks (grey and black) after camping. Hopefully the campgrounds you were staying at has them. If not plan on going to the nearest one on your way home or to your next destination.
Livermore, CA
Elefantdude is offline   Reply With Quote