Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2018, 10:43 PM   #1

TRC Digital Line Monitor

I have had this monitor a few years now and I keep it plugged into one of the front outlets by the entrance door. It has identifed several low voltage conditions in various campgrounds. It has identified a pedistal that had lost a ground, and has identifed a cord adapter that I was using had lost its ground. All of these are potentially dangerous conditions. There is a display and built-in alarm. It also monitors your generator and will let you know if your voltage regulator is working properly. Checks the Hertz or line frequency. Saved my bacon. I also use a inline Surge Guard when on shore power. Just can’t ever be too careful. This is a must have in my MH!
Attached Thumbnails
284446B6-C643-4261-978C-4EA4B3F21C77.jpg   E5F9138E-AF41-4C60-8A2C-E3F1F7EC919E.jpg   333ED887-BA73-4AA8-909D-6FAA5F8C4C26.jpg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:15 AM   #2

Great piece of information Cabinetmaker. Can you tell us where you purchased it and approximate cost?
I had a 50 amp TRC Surge Guard that went bad and the company would not help at all. They are here in Clearwater, Florida and I thought maybe they could do a repair but they said just buy a new one. Not what I wanted to hear so I bought a Progressive Surge Protector last year. That unit is a great idea and might be something to add inside the coach.
Thanks for sharing, and safe travels. Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:36 AM   #3
Site Team

It looks like a helpful tool but I would rather have one that would do something about the potential problem instead of just indicating.

I too have had the same experience as Jimmyb with TRC.

Damaged unit, contact them and get the ,"We will happily sell you another one" conversion.

I too went with Progressive.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:07 AM   #4

I have a nephew that I convinced to get a Progressive PT50C when he bought his first RV 2 years ago. He stores it beside his house under a metal building and is plugged in all the time. They use it as an extra bedroom when company comes. Last week he went in to turn the a/c a bit cooler for arriving company and the power was off. The PT50C apparently took a hit a few days before during some bad weather. Off it went to Progressive and a brand new PT50X showed up yesterday.

I will absolutely NEVER plug in anywhere without my PT50X. I actually have two of them, one still in the box as a spare.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:32 AM   #5

Jimmy...this is where to purchase. Didn’t know about the warranty issues with TRC. Interesting...but mine has been flawless so far and I’ve used it in several RV’s we have owned.

I do use a Progressive Surge Guard not a TRC for incoming protection. This TRC Digital Monitor is not expensive but works and I haven’t seen anything like it from Progressive? A Progreesive Surge Guard like we all use will not monitor or protect us if we are using the generator. This TRC monitor will not protect but will sound the alarm and indicate what is wrong. Worth having in my humble opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
C70CB0E8-0D4E-40B5-BBCE-15147816D1D3.jpg   B85E6DAF-987E-45AA-8A16-C96A7F52AB91.jpg   996E1B24-C624-4624-968F-0B44C6B87EB9.jpg  
Old 07-24-2018, 07:35 AM   #6

Some additional information.
Attached Thumbnails
29B50C56-2F32-405B-82A2-FCB77CE9EA9F.jpg   A8CC106D-E2CC-471A-BE34-3AF73798D25D.jpg  
Old 07-24-2018, 02:31 PM   #7

Thanks Cabinetmaker I will put this on my list. We were traveling today from Dunedin, Florida back to Eastpoint, Florida. Finally put some miles on this beauty. The handling was better than I expected. More trips coming.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
Thanks Cabinetmaker I will put this on my list. We were traveling today from Dunedin, Florida back to Eastpoint, Florida. Finally put some miles on this beauty. The handling was better than I expected. More trips coming.
Jimmy...glad your enjoying and getting some miles on her. Lots to like about these Jayco Class C’s...we really like ours also.

So much easier to drive and cheaper to own and maintain but still has some class and sass about her. In the middle size wise but as good or better in other areas. I like the simplicity of the V-10 and 6 speed but that it still has plenty of guts and never feels underpowered.

I doubt we will ever go back to a Class A and as much as we like our Greyhawk I bet we keep it for several years. So far it’s been one of if not our best RV purchases we have ever made. That’s saying a lot because we have had many and some of all makes and models.

Be safe and many happy travels to you and yours Jimmy!
Old 07-24-2018, 05:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Jimmy...glad your enjoying and getting some miles on her. Lots to like about these Jayco Class C’s...we really like ours also.

So much easier to drive and cheaper to own and maintain but still has some class and sass about her. In the middle size wise but as good or better in other areas. I like the simplicity of the V-10 and 6 speed but that it still has plenty of guts and never feels underpowered.

I doubt we will ever go back to a Class A and as much as we like our Greyhawk I bet we keep it for several years. So far it’s been one of if not our best RV purchases we have ever made. That’s saying a lot because we have had many and some of all makes and models.

Be safe and many happy travels to you and yours Jimmy!
Thanks Cabinetmaker. We to are enjoying the simplicity of the Class C compared to the previous complex Class A. The V10 has been great with plenty of power. The only thing I’m not up on is the 6 speed. We have the 5 speed and I’m wondering two things. Does the 6 speed shift more smoothly? and does it increase the fuel economy? On this 600 mile trip we averaged 7 mpg towing our CRV and running the generator and dash air. After running our Class A with 450 Cummins Diesel we were averaging 8.5 per gallon with drive and tag axel. I’m not concerned about the fuel cost but the range. Previously we could go 1,000 miles before fueling. Now I need to fuel at 300 miles. Does your 6 speed increase your mpg? I’m just curious. Thanks, Jimmyd
Old 07-24-2018, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks Cabinetmaker. We to are enjoying the simplicity of the Class C compared to the previous complex Class A. The V10 has been great with plenty of power. The only thing I’m not up on is the 6 speed. We have the 5 speed and I’m wondering two things. Does the 6 speed shift more smoothly? and does it increase the fuel economy? On this 600 mile trip we averaged 7 mpg towing our CRV and running the generator and dash air. After running our Class A with 450 Cummins Diesel we were averaging 8.5 per gallon with drive and tag axel. I’m not concerned about the fuel cost but the range. Previously we could go 1,000 miles before fueling. Now I need to fuel at 300 miles. Does your 6 speed increase your mpg? I’m just curious. Thanks, Jimmyd
Jimmy, we average between 7-8mpg so no I wouldn't say the 6 speed helps all that much. I know the feeling of range change. Our Country Coach had the 400hp Cat and Allison 6 speed. Seemed like it would go forever but boy when it needed diesel it cost a small fortune! Ha!

300-400 miles is about all I want to drive in a day anymore. Plus the 300-400 mile 55 gallon range of the Greyhawk gives me enough to find the easiest places to fill. The Greyhawk can actually get into smaller stations and I don't have to wait for the truckers to get fuel. That was always a pain.

Make sure your getting the tank full. For some reason the pumps will stop short on mine so I just keep pumping until I hear it coming up the neck. Speed seems to be the fuel mileage killer on these big Ford V-10's. Try to stay off the gas and cruise around 62-65 and I bet you will notice a bit better.

There is a app you can get from GasBuddy that has all the RV friendly gas stations. I always plan my exit before i enter but have never had a problem finding a station I could get into out with minimum fuss.

Our key to not getting into a bad situation is not being afraid to abort going into a tight looking station. We both look and if we don't like it then we just go on to the next station. We try and start our search when between a half and three quarters to give us flexibility. I'll even pay 3 cents a gallon more to make life easy and avoid having to unhook the Jeep.

If we know our route ahead of time I will plan my stops from my home computer. There I can do google maps and see streetview and find the best entrance exit or other notable important stuff.

I can only remember once or twice that I had to back out but that was many moons ago. Like wine I'm better with age...at some things.

Mike (cabinetmaker)
Old 07-25-2018, 02:30 AM   #11

Thanks for all the great info Mike (Cabinetmaker). I know what you mean with the cost of diesel. One day we’ll talk about boats. Didn’t mean to hijack the original intent of this thread and will be ordering that monitor next. Looks like a great investment.
Now if I can figure out how Camper Bob got his hands into the electric 30 amp service to install a pigtail for his shore power. That is some very tight compartment!! Miss my electric reel
Take care and safe travels. Jimmyd
Old 07-25-2018, 08:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for all the great info Mike (Cabinetmaker). I know what you mean with the cost of diesel. One day we’ll talk about boats. Didn’t mean to hijack the original intent of this thread and will be ordering that monitor next. Looks like a great investment.
Now if I can figure out how Camper Bob got his hands into the electric 30 amp service to install a pigtail for his shore power. That is some very tight compartment!! Miss my electric reel
Take care and safe travels. Jimmyd
I'm pretty good at working one-handed too. I work on my vehicles a lot and sometimes you have to squeeze an arm into a tight space holding 2 washers and a nut that need to be put on a bolt that's moving, so I've built up some dexterity! LOL!!

Funny you guys were talking about range decrease. The 29MV and its 55 gallon tank basically doubled my range. My Ram had something like a 26 gallon tank? I could get about 200 miles towing if I pushed it. With the Greyhawk, I can easily get 300 miles before I'm looking to fill up.

More on topic: Thanks for the head's up. And thanks to the other guys who posted about how superior the Progressive products are; that makes the decision pretty easy IMO.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:12 AM   #13

Quote:
I have had this monitor a few years now and I keep it plugged into one of the front outlets by the entrance door. It has identifed several low voltage conditions in various campgrounds. It has identified a pedistal that had lost a ground, and has identifed a cord adapter that I was using had lost its ground. All of these are potentially dangerous conditions. There is a display and built-in alarm. It also monitors your generator and will let you know if your voltage regulator is working properly. Checks the Hertz or line frequency. Saved my bacon. I also use a inline Surge Guard when on shore power. Just can’t ever be too careful. This is a must have in my MH!
Cabinetmaker Mike, thanks for the tip on the TRC Digital Monitor. Nifty little piece of technology. Installed it yesterday. Thanks again, Jimmyd
Old 08-01-2018, 01:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Cabinetmaker Mike, thanks for the tip on the TRC Digital Monitor. Nifty little piece of technology. Installed it yesterday. Thanks again, Jimmyd
Jimmyd...yes it is a neat little piece of techno. In combination with a good external surge protector this little guy can help monitor the juice inside the motorhome...especially the generator juice!

Glad to help...all the guys and gals on JOF have sure been a big help to me! I enjoy reading about others mods and finds on here as your never too old to learn something new.

Thanks for letting me know Jimmy! cabinetmaker (Mike)
Old 08-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Jimmyd...yes it is a neat little piece of techno. In combination with a good external surge protector this little guy can help monitor the juice inside the motorhome...especially the generator juice!

Glad to help...all the guys and gals on JOF have sure been a big help to me! I enjoy reading about others mods and finds on here as your never too old to learn something new.

Thanks for letting me know Jimmy! cabinetmaker (Mike)
Always looking for new ideas. I’ve been using my 50 amp Progressive Surge Protector from my previous coach with a 50 to 30 adapter. I also copied another mod. I cut my 30 amp cord as you and others have done and installed cord caps so I could store it in another compartment. Much easier than feeding it back into that small compartment!! Thanks to all for the ideas. Jimmyd