Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #1

Triton V10 Engine Heat-HELP

Hi all,
New to this motorhome experience. Just purchased a low mileage 2011 Greyhawk 31FS and while driving (60-65 MPH approx. 3000rpm) notice an awful lot of engine heat coming from the doghouse area. Checked all seals and connectors for it inside and all seems fine.
Anyone else with this problem? Is this just a "normal" operation for the Ford? I am looking at installing some form of heat barrier inside the doghouse. Any help or suggestions? Thanks
dkuhlman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #2

Yes, it is normal.
Charles & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:26 AM   #3

I understand it to be normal, but cant say I like it either. There are some product that will help, but require you to pull the front seats out and carpeting.
Something like this: http://www.thermotec.com/products/14...ntrol-mat.html
I have also heard of a high dollar paing called lizard skin: http://www.jegs.com/i/Lizard+Skin/62...FY5r7AoddD8ALg
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #4

This motorhome experience is new to me also.I just returned from the Calif, Neveda high desert. I have a 02 Jayco 26ss. I have the same engine. I know climbing some grades the motor was hotter than normal. I felt the plastic doghouse by my feet, and it seamed quite hot, but I did not notice excessive heat from the doghouse into the cab. You nay want to check to make sure it is sraled properly. Another thing is, your motor running extra hot? Stan
stans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #5

While traveling in our 2004 Granite Ridge 3100s My wife stated that it was quite warm on her side (Starboard side). But not unbearable.
Dave & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #6

We had the same problem with our new Greyhawk FS 2014. My wife complained on the way home from the dealership. I had a local audio shop install Hushmat in the doghouse. It dramatically reduced the noise and heat. The floor is still too hot but that is harder to fix. You can put lizard skin on the underside of the chassis however you need to paint it. I am also considering installing heat shield around and headers. That should also help.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #7

Thanks all for the help and suggestions! I installed some sound and heat insulation material from thermo tech and that seems to help both with noise and a reduction in some of the heat transfer. Before installation I made certain that all the rubber gaskets around the doghouse were in place and latches correctly secured, so as to make sure that wasn't the real problem. They all seemed secure and in proper position. So hopefully this material will be a help. I just applied it over the existing doghouse insulation by cutting in sections and applying as per instructions. Very easy! Found it on Amazon.
Maybe someone else can benefit from this as well? Thanks again.
dkuhlman99 is offline   Reply With Quote