Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #1

Truma Comfort DeCacification surprise

I upgraded my Truma AquaGo Basic to the Comfort mainly so I can decalcify the system myself. I followed the directions in the manual to the letter and all went well, or so I thought.

In preparation for an upcoming trip I tried the water heater and surprise, it would not ignite, no matter what I did. I did this on Saturday so this gave me something to worry about all weekend

I called Truma this morning and before I finished my first sentence, Chantal asks for my email and sends me the “better Instructions”. By the way, Truma support was awesome. After following the instructions below, and flushing the system for 15 minutes the heater returned to normal.

I have included her email below to make it easier for anybody needing to decalcify.

Coming Out of Clean Mode

Power to the unit must be on from the main panel

The outside switch needs to be in the “ON” position

Turn rotary dial on inside switch to “ECO” or “Comfort” mode (these are the top 2 positions on the switch)

Wait until you hear the circulation pump cycle on and off

Open all the hot water faucets in the vehicle- let the water run until the yellow light stops flashing, this could take 15 minutes or so. (During this time you will hear the circulation pump turning off and on in approx. 30 second intervals this is normal. The burner will not ignite)

Once the inside switch stops flashing turn off water

Turn rotary dial to the “off” position

Turn the rocker switch on the AquaGo to the “off” position wait 30 seconds

Turn rocker switch on the AquaGo back on

Turn the rotary dial to the “ECO” or “Comfort” mode (you may need to wake up the dial by turning it on and off a couple times)

The unit should work normally at this time.

Kindest regards,
Chantal Hershberger
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #2

Can you tell me if it was worth upgrading to the Comfort and can you give me an idea of the cost to upgrade?
dtp322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #3

Ditto to dtp322 - would very much like to know your experience with actual use.
I had a whole house instant hot water heater in my house many years ago and ended up hating it. Especially when only low flow was needed, often cutting out when you only need a trickle.
MikeInBaltimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #4
MD3

I'd also like to know cost and if it is worth the cost ?
Can a person do the conversion themselves ?
No way can I drive mine to Florida like others have done.

_
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:12 PM   #5

Upgrade to Comfort

Can a person do the upgrade; yes, with conciderable ease! Unfortunately, Truma will not sell you the parts and will void warranty unless done by authorized tech. When these were new, it was hard to find people to work with them. At the 2017 Hershey RV show they had become very popular. I would advise against the person who did my upgrade. He did nothing more than I could have done and left it leaking which I had to fix on my own. Originally charged $550 and refunded labor when he refused to fix leak.

Freeze protection was my primary reason for the upgrade and that works well!

Mark, how did you order tables?
Old 06-13-2018, 07:18 PM   #6

Ryan, I got the tablets when I did the upgrade, but you can order on the Truma web site. Be sure to follow the directions form above or the water heater will not come out of clean mode and will not ignite.
Attached Thumbnails
856FC5F2-8BDC-416F-91B2-060C67725530.jpg  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp322 View Post
Can you tell me if it was worth upgrading to the Comfort and can you give me an idea of the cost to upgrade?
We like the Truma and it’s unlimited hot water. The Comfort gets the hot water to to the faucet in about half the time and allows the user to De-calcify without paying the dealer 2-3 hours of labor.

I think it was about $400.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:58 PM   #8

The actual part is just over $200 but the labor added an additional $200-300.

Basically they remove the unit. Cut the inlet and outlet lines and install a recirculation pump. This pump provides enough flow to keep the unit hot go when you turn on the hot water tap the unit is already hot and the hot water reaches your tap in about 1/2 the time required to start up and get balanced out.

I have not had any issues with the truma. Water gets hot and stays hot for as long as I want it to at almost any flow rate.

The basic unit shuts off when not in use this when the water flow starts it takes several seconds for the flow meter to tell the system to come on. where the comfort unit is always hot at the system and is much more reactive.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:22 PM   #9
MD3

Does the Comfort use a noticeable more amount of propane keeping the water warm and circulating ?

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #10

I had contacted Truma about the upgrade kit and I was told that I could buy the parts and install myself...great! I tried ordering the parts from the parts department and was inform that the original contact made a mistake and I couldn’t do it myself and was given 2 dealers about 150 miles away that could do it. I tried again, asking for the parts as I wanted it done right and was told that only highly trained techs could do the install. I talked to both dealers and they both told me that the basic couldn’t be upgraded to the comfort, that the whole unit needs to be replaced to upgrade....so much for highly trained techs. Right now I am looking at $300 in parts from Truma plus labor, plus travel and fuel to upgrade, so probably around $700. For the last 10 years the DW and I were perfectly happy with a 6 gallon gas/elec unit in the old moho. I plan on just swapping out for the Atwood XT 10 gallon (what the 2019’s come with) as we are not happy with the Truma at all so why dump more money into it. I really don’t like the idea of propane only unit. Anybody wanna buy a Truma

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:13 AM   #11

We had our Truma upgraded in October. We love it. I don't understand why Jayco didn't install the comfort rather than the basic model. The basic has no freeze protection for the winter. As far as people not liking it because it's a propane only heater, we spent February and March in Destin, FL, filled the propane about a week before we got there, used propane for the water heater, stove, and the few times we had to use the furnace, and when we left I filled the tank and it took 11.7 gallons. For the comfort of taking a nice, long, hot shower, I certainly don't think that's too much to pay.
MikeThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD3 View Post
Does the Comfort use a noticeable more amount of propane keeping the water warm and circulating ?

-
I actually think it uses less. Unless you are using hot water all day long you aren't keeping a 6 gallon tank hot. Now the truma does kick on a for a few seconds every so often, I believe it warms up a half gallon or so of water so that your hot water is instant, but if you don't want it to do that you could turn the switch off and just turn it on when you want it. Either way - in my experience this thing sips propane.

My gas heater on the other hand......
JComings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #13

Short showers

Growing up camping with the little 6 cal tank and even in our first TT with the 10 gal tank I didn’t like having to take short showers because you would run out of hot water. The Truma never runs out of hot water. This made us go tankless in our home as well when hot water heater died.

Freeze protection has been proven to 4 degrees with no problems here.

Comfort upgrade gave freeze protection and some have said it degreased the time to get hot water. Comfort plus would have added a recirculating line for truly instant and endless hot water.

Rusty, would the dealer order the parts and sell to you? It really is super easy to install.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
Rusty, would the dealer order the parts and sell to you? It really is super easy to install.
No they would not, believe me, I tried. I know it would be simple but yeah, it had to be done by a highly trained tech.......that had never done it before or had any training on a Truma water heater We ended up having it upgraded at the closest dealer as we had gotten sideswiped by a texting teenager and the body shop we wanted the work done was at the same dealer that could do the upgrade so this eliminated travel time and fuel costs as the kids insurance cover that in the damage claim.

We do like it a lot better now and have been boondocking in 10 degree weather with no issues with the water heater except for the dreaded 33 error flash code. The first night the inside control LED was giving 2 quick flashed which tells you to check the red LED on the outside unit. It gave a flash code that came up as code 33 which is a 12v antifreeze kit over voltage.....but we don’t have the antifreeze kit. Finally got good enough service to search the web and it is a random code thrown due to a bad control board but the water heater continues to operate normally. Called Truma when we got home and they are sending out a new updated control board.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote