Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #1

Truma service center

We are at the FMCA rally in Lakeland Florida and was looking forward to visiting the
Truma Service Center
3928 Anchuca Dr.
Bays 13 & 14
Lakeland, FL 33811

My Apple maps says this address doesn't exist and so does my Garmin RV 760 LMT so after a message to the contact on the Truma website and 6 telephone messages in 5 days - I finally get a return phone call and am told that this is a " one man show " and will be closed until Monday ( today is Friday )
I was hoping to get Decalcification tablets but not happening
I'm disappointed because the name makes it sound like a real business that can help customers
Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #2

I am surprised. They make it seem like a big deal. Have you seen what they charge for 6 tablets? $19.90. I think they have a great product with the comfort model but come on $20 to descale your unit every year or so. It is even worse for the people with the basic model they don’t publish a procedure and only say it has to be done by an authorized service center. So I can only guess what that will cost. Good luck with the tablets, they are available on line if you are interested. Hope the rally is going well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:58 PM   #3

They opened that service center in November with one guy. They're hoping to get busy enough to hire more people. We had our basic model upgraded to the comfort model. Very happy with the work.
MikeThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7h View Post
We are at the FMCA rally in Lakeland Florida and was looking forward to visiting the
Truma Service Center
3928 Anchuca Dr.
Bays 13 & 14
Lakeland, FL 33811

My Apple maps says this address doesn't exist and so does my Garmin RV 760 LMT
It's an office/warehouse park at Ruthven AirPark. Addresses run from 3800-4000. Shows up on Google.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #5

[QUOTE=RVermont;608157]I am surprised. They make it seem like a big deal. Have you seen what they charge for 6 tablets? $19.90. I think they have a great product with the comfort model but come on $20 to descale your unit every year or so. It is even worse for the people with the basic model they don’t publish a procedure and only say it has to be done by an authorized service center. So I can only guess what that will cost. Good luck with the tablets, they are available on line if you are interested. Hope the rally is going well.

The tablets are a small price to pay for unlimited hot water..
About the same price as replacing you anode rod every year with a suburban
water heater just saying..

2018 DRV Elite Suites 44 Memphis...

2017 Ram 3500 Limited Crew Cab Cummins
Mike WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:04 AM   #6

Truma service center

I agree, in hindsight it seems pretty cheap related to everything else in this thing. I think I had price shock at first. It is actually a pretty simple procedure for the comfort model. Not sure what it entails for the basic units.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:54 AM   #7

The comfort models have a dial with a decalicification setting on it. Not sure how you would do it on the basic model. Maybe that's why it has to be done at a service center.
MikeThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #8

Those of you with the comfort model. Do you keep the unit in eco mode or comfort’. I am just wondering if keeping the unit in comfort significantly reduces the amount of water lost waiting for the faucet to get hot. In comfort mode the temp of the water in the unit is about 100’f. But in ecomode it can be as low as 45’f. But really would be the incoming water temperature.

I realize most of you are In the south but has anyone installed the electric freeze protection for the truma? Any thoughts on it?

Old 02-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Those of you with the comfort model. Do you keep the unit in eco mode or comfort’.
I have been running ours in comfort mode since we got it and have been very happy with the operation. When in comfort mode, there is a noticible difference in how long it takes for at least warm water to start flowing vs. when in Eco mode. Solely due to the mixing tank temperature differences between Eco and Comfort modes. But to rule out my bias with Truma over our previous Girard, I had to perform a "blind study" by turning the Truma to Eco mode and not telling the DW I did. Sure enough, an hour or two later, she commented that there might be a problem with the new Truma because it wasn't getting as hot as quickly as it did at first. Good enough for me!

Quote:
I am just wondering if keeping the unit in comfort significantly reduces the amount of water lost waiting for the faucet to get hot. In comfort mode the temp of the water in the unit is about 100’f. But in ecomode it can be as low as 45’f. But really would be the incoming water temperature.
Here in Florida, the ground water is quite a bit above 45 degrees at the park we stay at. But to answer your question, since the mixing tank is kept at approx. 102 degrees, you get that water first before the ground water is mixing in. So if you accept that 102 degree water is "hot", then yes, you get hot water much sooner than when in Eco mode.

Quote:
I realize most of you are In the south but has anyone installed the electric freeze protection for the truma? Any thoughts on it?
Can't speak to it since we don't ever anticipate being in temps that would require it. From what I was told, if the unit is kept in comfort mode, it can protect the Comfort and Comfort Plus models down to -4 degrees F.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #10

Thanks I was thinking it would be quicker and since she noticed that answers that.

The reason I ask about the electric heater is that after I upgraded the unit it kept shutting off while driving. We were in 25-38’ weather and was afraid the unit would freeze up so I kept draining the truma before moving each day. It was fine overnight and we could take hot showers but as soon as we drive it would shut off. The manual specifically states that the propane is supposed to be off while in motion so I don’t know if it shuts off automatically or is just fluke.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks I was thinking it would be quicker and since she noticed that answers that.

The reason I ask about the electric heater is that after I upgraded the unit it kept shutting off while driving. We were in 25-38’ weather and was afraid the unit would freeze up so I kept draining the truma before moving each day. It was fine overnight and we could take hot showers but as soon as we drive it would shut off. The manual specifically states that the propane is supposed to be off while in motion so I don’t know if it shuts off automatically or is just fluke.

Its my understanding that the Truma is not designed or meant to be used while in motion.
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #12

Quote:

Oh, and I believe the electric heater replaces the debris filter and so the Truma cant even have water in it while using the electric heater.
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #13

Hot Water

We keep ours in ECO mode & about 30 seconds before use turn it to COMFORT and the water is ready to go - the Manuel does specify to turn off during travel and we do turn it off. We did get the " FROST " option not knowing exactly what it was ( thinking it was freeze protection ) it does replace the screen and it's purpose is to keep the water from freezing ( if drained you wouldn't need it ) and is always in place except to decalcify - my installer offered to remove it and not charge me anything ( less than a minute to install or uninstall ) but I thought it might be good to have so I kept it - haven't used it yet but it sounds like it would save a very expensive freeze while driving and it operates on 12 volts so no need to use the inverter
Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #14

Perfect. That aligns to what I thought. Nice to run with it off and not have to worry about the unit freezing up. It really would be nice if I could convert it to a plus model and thus protect the lines as well. Thank you.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Those of you with the comfort model. Do you keep the unit in eco mode or comfort’. I am just wondering if keeping the unit in comfort significantly reduces the amount of water lost waiting for the faucet to get hot. In comfort mode the temp of the water in the unit is about 100’f. But in ecomode it can be as low as 45’f. But really would be the incoming water temperature.

MarkS stated that he had 22 Mississippi before the water became warm on his basic. I counted 19 “1000” before mine became warm with the unit on comfort. I believe that I would have a p>0.05 and therefore I cannot state a statistically significant increase in the time to receive heated water at the shower. Furthermore, additional variables come into play such as his 70 degree weather and the fact that their was 8 inches of snow atop my Seneca during the test. Bluejay, I believe your sample size, N=1, will be statistically significant; DWs have a high degree of specificity. Lol!

I do notice this aspect of having it in comfort mode which was initially theoretical but has been proven to 8 degrees. Having it in comfort will keep the water lines in that area from freezing presumably because keeping the water in the unit at 104 degrees generates enough heat in that bay. Freeze protection was my primary goal in upgrading to comfort.

When we knew of the change on brand of H2O heater, I did some research and knew about all three levels of Truma. I contacted Jayco and was told that only the basic was utilized. He then promptly told me that a Seneca is not a 4 season RV (yes, enclosed heater water lines is used loosely; there is a 4 to 5 degree difference from ambient), and that I would need to take the Seneca to the dealer once a year (or more!) to have it descaled. Perhaps their goal in using the basic was to generate dealer revenue.

When you look at descaling a residential version of a tankless you require some mechanism of circulating an acid solution (usually vinegar) through the unit for roughly an hour. The addition of the comfort Truma adds the circulatory pump, thereby allowing you to descale. Looking at the plumbing, I don’t understand how the dealership will circulate anything through the basic Truma unit. Perhaps they have a device that exchanges with the filter screen.

Interestingly, when RVermont and I began looking at the prospects of upgrading the unit to comfort, even the local dealer did not know how to do the upgrade as these units had been so new. This makes me wonder how many dealers will be of little help when descaling time comes if you don’t have the comfort and what the cost will be from them. I must say that in the big picture of how much this RV has cost, the $20 is not too bad.

Back to the service center in Florida, I had been told that Truma was trying to start up this service center when I met the gentleman at the Truma booth in the Hershey RV show. I am guessing that when they made the offer of a parts-cost-only upgrade to comfort it was to help generate that business and get things going. From another post, it seams they are no longer offering this deal, but it will be cheaper than I had to pay for the upgrade.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #16

What is your process to protect the system while under way? Do you winterize?

Old 02-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #17

Quote:
What is your process to protect the system while under way? Do you winterize?
We have thought about what the Truma rep said at the Hershey show, and what we think we remember was that he said was that you would need to unplug that heating element that does replace the filter screen when you use the water heater to heat water under normal conditions. I am not 100% on this. When I make my drive to Illinois I plan to winterize. My heat tape on the lines is 110 and the wet bay heater is 110. From various trial the best the bays have been 5 degree above ambient and that was tested at 24 degrees temp. I do not want to run the electric heater when in motion due to the risk of it causing a problem if it shift.

I think if you drained the water heater you could be OK at warmer temps, but there are other freezing considerations.