Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #21

class C choice

This is exactly the reason we went with a class C to start with. I had a full size gas truck, but would have needed to trade up to a diesel to get the power needed to pull the 5th wheel or trailer we'd have wanted. I also didn't want to use the diesel truck as my daily driver. Plus we wanted to be able to get up and move around some while traveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Our first thoughts were 5er and diesel truck. Decided I didn't want a diesel truck for my daily commuter. This is our third MH and it's been the right route for us. Quick and easy setup.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex
jvteach77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:16 PM   #22

Because I can’t tow 2 trailers and most busses were too long.
Attached Thumbnails
6DD8F307-21BC-4A76-AB76-2196460BF926.jpg  
lonestarrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:51 PM   #23

Because I was due for a new truck to avoid the stress of getting stranded far from home. My $30k diesel truck 20 years ago is now $70k, no thanks. Dry camping in the rain, excessive heat, etc is far better in the class C than a truck/trailer. Loading and unloading a generator, keeping gas cans out of the rain, unhooking for no reason, leveling up. It's all much simpler now and I have no need for a toad at this point in my life as I can only get away for 2-3 days at a time.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #24

My experiences thru the years:
Tent, Sleeping under the stars
11.5 foot Slide in Truck Camper on a 3/4 ton Ford Pickup
Car camping with our Suburban (sleeping in the back)
Cot Tent camping - overlanding
Travel Trailer - pulled behind suburban
Bigger travel trailer - did not want to buy a bigger tow vehicle
C-Class Motorhome - 24ft with two trailers to haul ATV or toad
Today: our Seneca 36Fk - same trailer hauling the Toad

For us, it is just Stacy and I along with our three big dogs. Sometimes we take off on a wild hair idea, sometimes for motorized sporting events, sometimes to see the USA and sometimes to a work destination. Stacy can not fly and rarely will drive due to health reasons but loves to travel and see the nation. Many of our stops along the way are last minute decisions at a WallyWorld, Cabelas where we don't want hookups, just a level place to stop for the night.

Along the road, Stacy gets up and stretches her legs, hits the bathroom, makes me lunch or a snack or takes a nap. The dogs find their place on the couch or on the floor. The only time I get out of the drivers seat is for Seneca fuel, Checking the trailer tie-downs / trip check which happen about every 200-miles or so. We run with the trucks up the hills, and at the speed limit the rest of the time. Our trailer that tows our Toyota FJC is built and equipped for running hard at 80MPH, but our sweet spot is 70-74 as far as how everything handles.

We evolved into this configuration over time, based on our past experiences and shortcomings. Having the ability to back up into a parking space, a side road to turn around or at the "Last Stop for Fuel" that is too tight and congested is one of the critical musts for travel. We no longer worry if the path we travel is a dead end, we can back up a half mile or more and find a place to turn around and find another route to our destination.

When we are at our destination, we don’t have much trouble finding a space that fits... even Yellowstone has room for us at Bridge Bay. We take our Toyota on day excursions that have included tough 4X4 trails or isolated mountain lakes where we are the only ones for miles. We leave our Seneca in it’s camp spot until it is time for our next destination (usually at least a week). Sometimes we bring an ATV, Canoe’s or other toy’s along with us too – the Seneca has the power and GCWR to haul this along with us for the long trips across the nation.

Contrary to what many think, we very rarely have trouble finding a spot that will fit us. In the past 3 years and 25,000 miles, we have only encountered two campgrounds that we had to disconnect the trailer from the Seneca. All of the rest of these destinations had room for our Seneca (38.5FT) trailer (26FT) and our Toyota in our campsite. Loading / Unloading the Toyota on the trailer is under 15 minutes and it is great peace of mind knowing that it is safe and secure on the trailer at 70MPH.
Attached Thumbnails
20180504_111319.jpg   20180901_191602.jpg   20160530_094737.jpg   20171117_123330.jpg   20190512_083657.jpg  

07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
My experiences thru the years:
Tent, Sleeping under the stars
11.5 foot Slide in Truck Camper on a 3/4 ton Ford Pickup
Car camping with our Suburban (sleeping in the back)
Cot Tent camping - overlanding
Travel Trailer - pulled behind suburban
Bigger travel trailer - did not want to buy a bigger tow vehicle
C-Class Motorhome - 24ft with two trailers to haul ATV or toad
Today: our Seneca 36Fk - same trailer hauling the Toad

For us, it is just Stacy and I along with our three big dogs. Sometimes we take off on a wild hair idea, sometimes for motorized sporting events, sometimes to see the USA and sometimes to a work destination. Stacy can not fly and rarely will drive due to health reasons but loves to travel and see the nation. Many of our stops along the way are last minute decisions at a WallyWorld, Cabelas where we don't want hookups, just a level place to stop for the night.

Along the road, Stacy gets up and stretches her legs, hits the bathroom, makes me lunch or a snack or takes a nap. The dogs find their place on the couch or on the floor. The only time I get out of the drivers seat is for Seneca fuel, Checking the trailer tie-downs / trip check which happen about every 200-miles or so. We run with the trucks up the hills, and at the speed limit the rest of the time. Our trailer that tows our Toyota FJC is built and equipped for running hard at 80MPH, but our sweet spot is 70-74 as far as how everything handles.

We evolved into this configuration over time, based on our past experiences and shortcomings. Having the ability to back up into a parking space, a side road to turn around or at the "Last Stop for Fuel" that is too tight and congested is one of the critical musts for travel. We no longer worry if the path we travel is a dead end, we can back up a half mile or more and find a place to turn around and find another route to our destination.

When we are at our destination, we don’t have much trouble finding a space that fits... even Yellowstone has room for us at Bridge Bay. We take our Toyota on day excursions that have included tough 4X4 trails or isolated mountain lakes where we are the only ones for miles. We leave our Seneca in it’s camp spot until it is time for our next destination (usually at least a week). Sometimes we bring an ATV, Canoe’s or other toy’s along with us too – the Seneca has the power and GCWR to haul this along with us for the long trips across the nation.

Contrary to what many think, we very rarely have trouble finding a spot that will fit us. In the past 3 years and 25,000 miles, we have only encountered two campgrounds that we had to disconnect the trailer from the Seneca. All of the rest of these destinations had room for our Seneca (38.5FT) trailer (26FT) and our Toyota in our campsite. Loading / Unloading the Toyota on the trailer is under 15 minutes and it is great peace of mind knowing that it is safe and secure on the trailer at 70MPH.
The more I read your posts about your setup, the more I like it.

I'm almost certain our "next rig" will be a Super C.

But for now, we get where we need to be with what we have... gotta have goals though!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #26
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
along with our three big dogs.

The dogs find their place on the couch or on the floor.
That's the part that intrigues me. How do you manage with THREE big dogs?

I have only one dog that size, and sometimes it's almost impossible not to trip over him. Plus, the dog hair must be nuts inside the rig?

Not to mention three times the number of walks (and poops ) and feeding...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
That's the part that intrigues me. How do you manage with THREE big dogs?

I have only one dog that size, and sometimes it's almost impossible not to trip over him. Plus, the dog hair must be nuts inside the rig?

Not to mention three times the number of walks (and poops ) and feeding...
I certainly understand how some could feel that way...

Our four legged kids are pretty well behaved for the most part... (unless they are loose in the back yard when visiting @Mark S.) But Mark S, FlyRotor and JimmyD have all met our kids

We just take the attitude that the Seneca is theirs.. I am the Chauffeur and Stacy is the maid.
Attached Thumbnails
20190416_221410.jpg   20160416_211541.jpg   20161025_182612.jpg   20190420_192321.jpg  

Old 08-13-2019, 08:44 AM   #28

We have 3 kids. When they were really little and were calm for 30 minutes at a time, it was a literal sanity saver when my wife could get up and feed them or tend to them while I was still driving.

Now, we only stop for gas and meals. Need to use the bathroom.......its back there. Need a water, go get one. Snack, open the cabinet.

When we stop, a lot of times we just get out to stretch for a minute, then turn the generator on and put the jacks and one slide out and make lunch and relax.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Those of you with yellow sticker weights south of 1800 pounds should go weigh in at a CAT scale (actually everybody should but I digress). I bet most of you will be surprised with what you learn. My 26Y had 2100 pounds of cargo - I thought I was sitting pretty; that's pretty good for a Greyhawk. Rolled it over the scales w/ a full tank of gas on the way to Disney - Houston we have problems. Overall 700 under my max GVWR, but 480 pounds over the rear axle !!!
What you don’t know in weights will bite you for sure. As a private pilot, my other “hobby”, you simply DON’T fly overloaded. Sounds like RVs can adhere to the same old aviation adage for light planes: You can fill the fuel or fill the seats but not usually do both together. As you said, it’s all a compromise.

Aaron

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:36 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronL View Post
What you don’t know in weights will bite you for sure. As a private pilot, my other “hobby”, you simply DON’T fly overloaded. Sounds like RVs can adhere to the same old aviation adage for light planes: You can fill the fuel or fill the seats but not usually do both together. As you said, it’s all a compromise.
Aaron
VERY True!

Depending on the chassis capacity differences.. (as with different aircraft with diffferent capacities) we have an established limit of the GVWR or if you are pulling a trailer the GCWR.

If you have full tanks of fuel, a full refrigerator and a full water tank, you usually have a little room for the rest of your cargo and stay under the "cargo capacity" to stay under the overall weight rating.

The concept of full water tank -and- empty black/grey stays mostly balanced when you are at the end of a weekend trip - where the fresh is almost empty and the Grey/Black tanks are carying what you once had in the fresh tank and the fridge. It all balances out on the way back (unless you are in a trailer - with the placement of the black/grey tanks in relation to the axles)

One of the biggest considerations when towing is what the Toad adds to GCWR and the ability to keep everything under the GCWR. Tow a heavier TOAD and you have to make up for the total weight somewhere else.

Many on JOF have seen our Scale tickets, and we run right at the legal limit of GCWR with a 3/4 tank of fresh and empty black/grey. If we are traveling to another destination with a refilled fresh tank (without dumping the waste tanks), we will be very close, if not overweight.

Seneca's have different capacities than the J/Red-Hawks and Melbourne models as well as Senecas have different capacities between model years.. Each individual chassis has to be evaluated on it's own.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:20 PM   #31

SloPokes kids

“Our four legged kids are pretty well behaved for the most part... (unless they are loose in the back yard when visiting @Mark S.) But Mark S, FlyRotor and JimmyD have all met our kids

We just take the attitude that the Seneca is theirs.. I am the Chauffeur and Stacy is the maid.”

It was fun watching your four legged kids running and enjoying our back yard. And I am glad you and Stacy know your places in your Seneca hierarchy. Lol
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
“Our four legged kids are pretty well behaved for the most part... (unless they are loose in the back yard when visiting @Mark S.) But Mark S, FlyRotor and JimmyD have all met our kids

We just take the attitude that the Seneca is theirs.. I am the Chauffeur and Stacy is the maid.”

It was fun watching your four legged kids running and enjoying our back yard. And I am glad you and Stacy know your places in your Seneca hierarchy. Lol
Actually... Stacy and I were talking about this the other day... of most of the time our kids are much better behaved... until they got to see all the stuff YOU have in your back yard. That was one of the times we had the most trouble with Ellie, Ned, Oliver that we can remember... You have a dog's dream of a backyard. ((without alligators))

Old 08-17-2019, 08:25 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Ok i get it .... its all about lunch LOL :-)
x2 about the lunch!

I have an RV (our third) because IT can tow things, like my boat or my other off road toys. My family and I love heading to Ontario to go fishing at remote drive in lakes, and having a comfy RV and my own boat is just perfect for us.
Scoutmaster253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #34

Explore the world of a fifth wheel.
2016 F-250 gas Super Duty Super Crew 8 ft. box.
jamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:59 AM   #35

Simple answer for us, already stated by others in different ways: We can live our lives in motion, including eating, working (if necessary), peeing, napping, etc.
Michael Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:13 PM   #36

Okay, don’t forget access to frig & potty. 🙂
Bobenme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #37

My wife and I have discussed this many times. Right now we are stationary and living in our RV. Due to that the best for us is a TT and a truck. In less than a year we hope to be able to travel so this was discussed. There is no clear reason for either. It is strictly a personal preference. For us the decision so far is a TT. The things that help us decide was first of all maintenance. As it sits I can do any maintenance on the truck and the trailer. That would not be true on most MH models and the cost of oil changes, etc would be much higher plus finding a place to get it done when I needed it. Also if service is needed that takes more than a few hours I would be out of a place to live until it is completed. That adds to cost. Another factor is replacement cost. If I need to replace either unit I can buy either for far less than a MH. Now this is looking at it as a full timer but one more thing to consider if you live in it is living space. The average TT has more slides and therefore more space. And last but not least, the straw that broke the camel's back was that I enjoy driving my truck. I really don't think I would like driving a bus.

Everyone has things that are important to them. That is why they make so many different kinds of RVs.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #38

There are pros and cons to both. We started in a lovely travel trailer and a big truck. We loved it but our dog had to always ride in the back seat and for a german shep/lab mix that was tight (even though I made the entire backseat and floor area one big bed for him). Also, it was more difficult to back the trailer into some spots.
When we decided to go to Alaska, we knew our big boy needed space for a long trip like that so we got a 32' motorhome. It is lovely but Jake didn't appreciate it. He was happy either way. In any case, the motorhome drives beautifully and is much easier to park but you do have to take the toad off and back a long vehicle. There are two cons to the motorhome compared to the TT. There is less storage space inside and you have to listen to rattles and noise as you drive. The TT and the motorhome both are nice in roomy to "live" in so it's kind of hard to say honestly which I prefer.
AlStevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:59 PM   #39

We had a TT I loved it husband hated it. He hated the set up the towing and the fact you were not able to get up and move quickly.
I liked the space the towing didn’t bother me while driving but I never learned to back it up.
We sold it after 2 years and are now looking for a Class C. That will solve my backing up issue and the fact we can leave any spot quickly if needed.
Not sure how I feel about being his waitress while he drives but I would love to have him wait on me while I drive.
Jeepyj93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #40

Motorbike vs Travel Trailer

For me, We went from a 25' class A Fleetwood to a Hummingbird. I tow the bird with a Silverado 1500, get 17.5 mpg while towing, 24 mpg solo while sight seeing. We have a place for basic needs (2 people in 70's) and no longer have $1,000 repair bills every time we go out. I have 1 less engine, 1 less generator and 4 less tires. No $175 oil changes nor $150 an hour for labor. It's a basic choice. We just chose a simpler life style. How much do you need to take with? The class A really was great but the simplicity of the Hummingbird is also a welcome place to be. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Jack N Janet is offline   Reply With Quote