Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack N Janet View Post
For me, We went from a 25' class A Fleetwood to a Hummingbird.
) and no longer have $1,000 repair bills every time we go out. I have 1 less engine, 1 less generator and 4 less tires. No $175 oil changes nor $150 an hour for labor. It's a basic choice. !

Great thread to read!!!

We're 1mom & 1 tween who is now 5'8" & just starting to grow (!!), + 2 large dogs (GSD is 100+#!),
We've been in small TT (14'floor) for awhile & appreciate the ease & simplicity of it, it has everything we want & need, and we've worked around & solved storage issues,

BUT NOTHING WE DO can add 3' extra floor space!! We did remove part of gaucho, the side bench, so now both dogs can have their bed to sleep on...
But we constantly are tripping on them when inside at night or rain...
So
Finally making move for slightly longer TT, maybe around 24-25' & around 6k# max,

But also looking at used, small 24' classC--no toad, & Just recently stumbled upon a 98 Fleetwood flair 25y, it's a Class A, and I'm loving all the floor space!
@jacknjanet- above post- is this what you had??
Constant problems or maintenance is not something that I want to have to deal with... :/

anyways only looking at the class C because of convenience, & what a lot of people already said,
as far as cost, because I would be buying one that was quite a bit older, don't have to worry so much about the horrible depreciation, the low price of older also allows me to make any remodeling changes inside as needed.

Ultimately, I love driving my Lexus SUV and I keep thinking the TT is the wisest choice...
((If money was not an issue, I get a newer 24' Orion on a Transit!
Sport165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #42

One Last Thing On Motorhomes

Please don't walk around inside your motorhome while traveling. Your wife, kids and even your furry friends will become a projectile in the event of an accident. If your motorhome stops suddenly they will not. They will fly violently around the inside of the motor home and possibly exit through the windshield. I have spent 52 years as an Auto Damage Appraiser for a major insurance carrier and see teeth imbedded in steering wheels, hair imbedded in windshields and next of kin coming to remove personal items from vehicles where the driver or occupant were ejected from the vehicle because they were not restrained. Safest place in a moving vehicle is buckled into their respected seat.
Jack N Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:39 PM   #43

TT was wonderful for that time in our lives. Now we are MH class C, reason one set up, two I HATED the bounce- we still have some but manageable, three the trip is the best part of my adventure and it is just easier in our MH. Our there things I don’t like about MH compared to TT yes but it’s what fits our life now.
Patchesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #44

Hi Sport165! Yes we did have a Fleetwood Flair 25Y. The twin beds worked out well for us, it had a lot of storage in the basement storage, we had hydraulic jacks for leveling so it was easy to drive, park and back into a campsite. You mentioned a '98 so based on that I would not buy one that old. Our '95 that we got rid of two years ago was on a P30 Workhorse chassis and was undersprung in the front so they used air bags that had to be replaced every couple of years. The rubber roof has a life of about 15 years so at 21 years you may be having trouble with that. Everything else on the coach is 21 years old so you will have problems, think refrigerator. Ours had $1,000 itis. Every time we tried to use it something else would break and it would always be $1,000 minimum. I would encourage you to go newer if possible. I'm affraid buying something that old would not be a good experience for you. Some of the Onan Generator parts (Carburator) and Trans Cooling lines ($1,000) are no longer made. Hope this helps.
Jack N Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:51 PM   #45

I had pop ups way back in time, then a 27 foot Class C, then 3 TT each bigger than the one before.

Then I let myself get talked into a gas Class A, I disliked driving it particularly in windy situations. Sold it last year after owning it for 3 years. I just am more comfortable driving a truck ands towing. So we bought a 34 foot Keystone Cougar 5th wheel trailer and wife and I are much happier.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #46

Mercedes Sprinter will get twice the mileage...............plus all the other great reasons listed already
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:19 PM   #47

For us, it was a question of what fit's my wife's needs.
She has MS and lots of issues that come with it. A TT or 5th wheeler was out of the question because she is physically done after about an hour driving. Not so in a motorhome. Class C's made more sense because they are usually lower than Class A's. We needed something that she can get in and out of easily. The Redhawk 29XK fit the bill. As a bonus, it has lots of counter space. I am the cook in the family. For us, the vacation begins, soon as we turn the key. And she stays fit enough to enjoy the trip. No matter if it's 2 hours away or a 4000-mile round trip. Plus our two dogs are not cooped up in a car/truck. Everybody can pick their most comfortable spot while traveling. Well, except for me. I still have to drive. If her condition gets worse, we can always go with a Winnebago Accessibility Enhanced motorhome.
KregChar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Why did you choose to tow a toad, instead of hauling a trailer behind a pickup ?
That's easy for me. I have had two 26 foot class C. & bought both used. Mainly because I am a retired auto parts and service center owner. who did a lot of motor home/ rv trailer repair and learned a lot.
I love my small 26 footer and can go anywhere a large van can go. Back roads, dirt roads, big city traffic etc. And I agree with others the fun begins when you turn the key. And I don't need a toad. However I'm not knocking the folks that have trailers, I've had them as well, all fun, enjoy!
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:52 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I’ve been a motorhome guy for awhile but today I traded down from my C to a Travel trailer.

For me we wanted less complexity, less expense, and more useable space for the size of the box.

Plus the Rockwood I chose was perfect for my family.
My wife & I RV “full time.” For those RVers who
don’t know that term, it means we daily live in
our 43’ Jayco North Point trailer.

When we travel around the country, we are not
on vacation, but doing Camp Hosting for State
Parks in several states that we have previously
made applications. We stay at these parks on a
1 to 3 month stay for giving the park 28 to 30 hrs.
of our time, doing what they need us to do.

The truck is used to carry those items that we don’t
transport in our RV. We plan to do what we do for
next 4-5 years... then purchase a motorhome and
tow a medium size SUV and move back into a house.

THEN the vacation begins for us. LOL

Will sell F-350 pick up and trailer
redley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:56 PM   #50

Thanks for your admonitions
redley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:52 AM   #51

great read on all the different reasons.
here is how we came to the conclusion;
1.Tent camping for 2 seasons-done with the rain
2.both cars could not tow a small red wagon ment investing in large truck to pull trailer = cost of class C RV.
3.convenience of bathroom snacks and comfort. (wife,daughter and dog)
4.wanted something I could drive without additional license
5.we do not tow anything at the moment.
6. great investment into the way we wanted to vacation
7. its about the journey.
8. everyone decides what is best for them have fun and see you on the road.
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:59 AM   #52

As a single, full-timer, I chose a 29' class C and an e-bike for local excursions. I prefer to boondock, so when I park I'm done!
Techwoman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #53

Class C Preferred

Simple. Wife can pee going down the road.
SecondRetirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #54

The DW likes to ride on the couch even though she doesn't like to roam around inside while we are rolling. Some things I like are that we can pull into a roadside rest stop, use the bathroom without trekking to the building (if the rest stop even has one), make lunch, and take a quick nap before hitting the road again.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #55

I like to pull a boat part of the time and Class C works better to do that
jerryjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:34 PM   #56

Another reason besides pulling a boat is that our 2 dogs prefer the Class C so they can run around. What a good reason huh. lol
jerryjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:44 PM   #57
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondRetirement View Post
Ha... I know that first hand.

This was the number one reason we got a Class C...

Happy wife, happy life!
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #58

Excellent post!
Concur totally.
Wm.Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondRetirement View Post
Seriously, there is no arguing that.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:24 PM   #60

Just because hooking up a trailer and needing a toy hauler or any trailer is more work for me and with disabilities makes it very hard. The reason we decided on a class c motorhome was the convenience of it is almost always ready to go with the exception of loading the fridge and maybe just a couple clothing items. Especially with the few add-ons like auto-leveling jack system, solar, and slide topper so don’t have to clean off before retracting 10 minutes set up or roll up is soooooo nice. And we are loving our class c life now.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote