Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2019, 08:27 PM   #61

And yes our dog absolutely loves the freedom im the class c
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:30 PM   #62

We bought a Greyhawk class C:
We wanted to chose to tow either the car or the boat when we went on a trip. We love the flexibility this provides to visit anywhere and have either transportation or fun in the boat.
2) At 62 we were tired of tent camping
Old 08-18-2019, 09:30 PM   #63
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Ha... I know that first hand.

This was the number one reason we got a Class C...

Happy wife, happy life!
and to add to that (after decades of experience )...

If momma ain't happy, nobody's going to be happy!
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:39 PM   #64

For us it was cost overall. We looked at a class C, but when I priced the insurance, plus purchasing a toad, plus insurance for the toad, we decided against it. Instead, we went the TT route, and I got the pickup I wanted. The insurance for the trailer and truck is still less than the C plus the toad with my insurer. Maybe after I win MegaMillions...
Bill Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:35 PM   #65

Wow, our toy hauler travel trailer was as much for almost as our class c, only just over $500/yr ins. Our our 2018.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #66

We also considered a TT but didn't have a truck. Neither one of us were willing to give up one of our SUVs for a truck. When we investigated the costs, it was indeed cheaper to buy a Class C than a truck and TT. We have towed a small open mesh trailer holding one motorcycle and two kayaks and then switched to a tow dolly for one of the SUVs to put the two kayaks on the roof and two bicycles on the back (and in case of rain or dampness when the motorcycle didn't start). I like to be able to leave the RV hooked up on site and drive the car to scenic/historic sites and grocery stores further afield than I am willing to ride the bicycle (especially last summer in New Mexico in 111 degree heat).
susan34982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:49 PM   #67

To each his own.

But one minor factor: When we purchased an umbrella insurance policy, the agent asked if we owned a dog, boat, trampoline, jet ski, or RV. I told her we had a fifth wheel. Her reply was that if it didn't have a motor or transmission, they didn't care.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryjr View Post
To each his own.

But one minor factor: When we purchased an umbrella insurance policy, the agent asked if we owned a dog, boat, trampoline, jet ski, or RV. I told her we had a fifth wheel. Her reply was that if it didn't have a motor or transmission, they didn't care.
Interesting. I wonder if our ownership of a motorhome affected our umbrella. We are insured all under one carrier, so they knew we had one...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:18 PM   #69

We've been pulling a couple of different 5th wheel TT's for a while now with my Ram / Cummins 2500.

The first one was WAY too heavy (nearly 14000 lbs), and way longer than we needed (38.5 feet). My-bad for buying the wrong TT.

Now we have an Eagle HT, and the truck (and driver) are MUCH happier now! Pulls like a dream, and is much more maneuverable at about 30 feet.

We've been considering making the move to a Seneca (or similar)...mostly because I love the power of my diesel, but really hate backing up and setting up the TT's. Potentially pulling a toad makes a diesel even more of a requirement...at least I think so. Feedback from some V10 owners would be welcome. I don't think we want to go to a Class A, but I may change my mind.

My main question is this...
Is the assembly quality of the higher-end Jayco's (like the Seneca) any better than our Eagle has been? I swear, the wiring and plumbing in our present Eagle could have been done by some 6th graders after school. NOTHING has been crimped tightly! I've spent about 30 hours now tightening and re-crimping every single electrical connection. And now the plumbing is springing leaks at the connections. Our dealer has been good about fixing things under the warranty quickly for us, but I worry about when that expires on this thing. It's likely gonna have to go.

If the quality of the Eagle was better, moving up to a Seneca would be a no-brainer (love the design and the features), but I'm seriously considering other brands now. Jayco's design and engineering seem solid, as are the parts and materials they use, but the assembly quality is just simply disgusting on ours.

Dave O.
daveobieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:34 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveobieone View Post
If the quality of the Eagle was better, moving up to a Seneca would be a no-brainer (love the design and the features), but I'm seriously considering other brands now. Jayco's design and engineering seem solid, as are the parts and materials they use, but the assembly quality is just simply disgusting on ours.

Dave O.

Cant tell for the Seneca but in general the price you pays means almost nothing in regards of worksmanship. A friend of us bought a Entegra $564,000.00 US, and it was a piece oj junk from the get go so.... keep you expection very low when you look at RV. The least amount of money you give to this industry is the way to go.

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:50 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryjr View Post
To each his own.

So... if the dog and trampoline does not have a motor or transmission... Why did they ask? asking for a friend
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:33 PM   #72

Steve...
Can you tell me how the quality has been on your Seneca?
I'm really considering buying a coach that's a few years old after all the problems with our new Eagle. Let someone else eat the depreciation, and fix all the factory screw-ups.
Dave O.
daveobieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveobieone View Post
Steve...
Can you tell me how the quality has been on your Seneca?
I'm really considering buying a coach that's a few years old after all the problems with our new Eagle. Let someone else eat the depreciation, and fix all the factory screw-ups.
Dave O.
Overall... we are very happy with our Seneca. We have had a few things that need to be repaired that were related to Jayco design or workmanship, and a few repairs to appliances / components that Jayco purchased that they install.

We purchased our Seneca as a technically used motorhome as it had 9k miles on the chassis. I say technically, because we took delivery of the rig with no indication that it had ever been used - the Fridge and Microwave still had the packing tape holding all of the drawers/shelves in place, the Marketing papers were still in the drawers and all of the outside bays were pristine new. It appeared that our Seneca might have done the RV-Show tour for Jayco or a dealer out west. That said, we did not really get to have a prior owner fix a lot of the little details, but they might have been fixed at the RV show when things happened.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:16 AM   #74

Simplicity and choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Why did you choose to tow a toad, instead of hauling a trailer behind a pickup ?

I enjoy being able to chose if I want to tow. I have pulled a travel trailer around the country for 15 years and been a camper my whole life. Now that the kids are out of the house and camp on their own, my wife and I have upgraded to a Class C. Now I have the choice. If I want to tow a toad, I can. If I want to travel in one self contained unit, I can. On shorter trips around Western Washington, my wife will often follow in her car to add flexibility. That's our choice.

I also appreciate the quickness and the ease of prep and setting up camp. I'm not getting any younger, and I really love the fact that I can just turn the key and go without hitching/unhitching, cranking the jacks, pulling onto blocks, etc.
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab
2004 Sunnybrook 2709 TT (Sold)
BigDaddy6290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #75

Set up

Easy set up in 10-15 minutes anywhere
Attached Thumbnails
75773D97-00FA-4725-97F4-E0D10FC73D0F.jpg  
Old 03-03-2020, 11:52 PM   #76

To Jopopsy,,, The perfect RV is a 45 ft Prevost with 4 a/c’s and a 700hp Volvo engine , 10 speed automatic, 20 kw generator with a Chauffeur and the coach belongs to your rich aunt that lets you borrow it anytime you want to . Now that my man is the perfect RV set up . Oh I forgot to mention she also has a Lamborghini SUV toad that goes with it. And her American Express card is in the console....
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:03 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
To Jopopsy,,, The perfect RV is a 45 ft Prevost with 4 a/c’s and a 700hp Volvo engine , 10 speed automatic, 20 kw generator with a Chauffeur and the coach belongs to your rich aunt that lets you borrow it anytime you want to . Now that my man is the perfect RV set up . Oh I forgot to mention she also has a Lamborghini SUV toad that goes with it. And her American Express card is in the console....
Thats it !

Oh and on a side note I’m back to a class C. It’s just the right way to go for my family.
Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:30 PM   #78

In our case, we were happy with a permanent spot for our 30' Montana 5er. We have an older GMC 2500HD with high miles. Because I am also older and have high miles, I never wanted to tow it!

Things were great for a number of years then, the owners of the RV park decided to sell and the new owners like the site we had improved so much, they wanted to move into the site. We got a 30 day notice.

The only solution I could find was a Class C we could afford and fit in our drive way. I like to fish so the added benefits are we can tow a TOAD with a car-top boat or my 16' Jetcraft fishing boat.

The JayHawk 22J fit the bill perfectly.
SoulReflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:57 AM   #79

Over the years we have towed and driven most types of rigs. Worked our way up to the 45’ DP and when it was time to down size went to a 32’ class c. Owned a truck for 35 years. Don’t want a truck anymore. Want smaller vehicles for everyday use. Tow our Jeep and the c is easy to find parking spots for and easy to set up. Any setup can work for you just need to go to a RV shows and narrow down what you want. Good luck.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:12 AM   #80

A lot of people have responded but I have a related question. How many of you actually live in a Class C full time? We live in our TT full time and enjoy the space. I haven't seen a C that I think we would be happy in.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote